UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Help with soft top heated rear screen wiring please

Old 04-08-2016, 02:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with soft top heated rear screen wiring please

Hi guys. I've not had my S2000 long and am new to the Forum but looking for a little assistance please.

Mine is an early S2000 (2001) which didn't come with a heated rear screen from the factory but a plastic screen. It did however come with a hard top as is a GT model so I have the heater button for when the hard top is plugged in. At some point in the cars life the convertible roof has been replaced with a new one using a newer glass heated rear window. It's not connected in my car though.

I managed to buy the Honda lead that connects to the two spades on the rear window but I'm a bit stumped where to connect the other end! I have done a lots of searches and most results seem to be people talking about retro-fitting a hard top and wiring associated with that. Where I had the hard top fitted form the factory, I am lead to believe that the wiring is already in place. I just need to find where to route the cable and where the female socket is that I plug it in to.

I was told by a breaker (that I bought the wire from) that I need to remove the trim in the boot and the plug I need is by the petrol filler neck. I have done that and cant see it there.

Can anyone give me any advice please where the plug is and how I should route the cable? I don't want to start randomly ripping the car apart in the vague hope I might stumble upon what I am looking for!

Many thanks

John
Old 04-11-2016, 02:30 AM

Anyone? I cant be the only person who has wanted to get heated rear screen working in the softop on their early S2000
Old 04-11-2016, 03:07 AM
Community Organizer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

a quick google search reveals the following thread

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/846...ndow-demister/

In summary, there's more to it than just buying that loom you have purchased from Honda. You need to wire up the switch to a relay and run wiring to the back.

Good luck with it. I have been thinking about doing this project too this summer.
Old 04-11-2016, 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by The Loon
a quick google search reveals the following thread

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/846...ndow-demister/

In summary, there's more to it than just buying that loom you have purchased from Honda. You need to wire up the switch to a relay and run wiring to the back.

Good luck with it. I have been thinking about doing this project too this summer.
Thanks for that. This is not my issue though. Mine is a GT factory model so came with hardtop. This means I already have the button/relay etc for the heated rear window and all the wiring in place.

I just need to know where the plug is located to connect my lead for my soft top heated screen
Old 04-11-2016, 05:48 AM

Hi,

The plug location is just being the passengers left ear. Next to where the hard top fits, has a rubber cover that says hardtop. Unfortunately you will find that the connector doesn't fit!!! Just found this out myself I I have just had a new roof with a glass screen put into my early 2000 GT version two weeks ago. I am considering cutting the wires from the hardtop and new glass and connecting with bullet connectors so I can swap the fitting plug from hardtop to softop. If you can't find the plug location re-post and I'll add a picture.

Rob
Old 04-11-2016, 05:54 AM

Of Course the location is drawn in the manual showing how to use the removable hardtop. Not the clearest picture but should point you in the right direction as well.
Old 04-11-2016, 06:00 AM

And the hardtop info is repeated on the Technical FAQ topic pinned at the top of the forum page if you don't have the manual to hand....

Rob
Old 04-11-2016, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by Rob-BPA
Hi,

The plug location is just being the passengers left ear. Next to where the hard top fits, has a rubber cover that says hardtop. Unfortunately you will find that the connector doesn't fit!!! Just found this out myself I I have just had a new roof with a glass screen put into my early 2000 GT version two weeks ago. I am considering cutting the wires from the hardtop and new glass and connecting with bullet connectors so I can swap the fitting plug from hardtop to softop. If you can't find the plug location re-post and I'll add a picture.

Rob
Hi Rob.

The Hard top connection is behind the passenger seat correct. The plug for the softop is designed to be different to the hard top plug. The reason for this is it plugs in to a different place on the loom. The idea being that the soft top wiring is never disconnected. It is meant to be plugged in hidden out of sight. The moment you plug the hardtop in to the obvious socket behind the passenger seat, the heating element in the softop is deactivated. This is so it does not come on when the roof is down. I believe it also disables the complete roof mechanism so that you cannot try to raise the softop while the hard top is on.

Therefore I think the wiring is already in place as my car is a GT from the factory. I just need to know where the plug is hidden and where to route the wiring.
Old 04-12-2016, 12:57 AM

Is it worth posting this on the non UK side ?
Old 04-12-2016, 01:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not 100% sure I can help but thinking about it, the rear screen was plastic without the demist facility from factory. Thus would the factory have installed all the cabling required for a soft top demist rear screen (when that was not a requirement at the time) for a GT or would they have just installed what was needed for the factory hard top i.e. Only install the cable and adaptor needed for the hard top?

If this is the case I would assume you'd need to connect to the hard top de-mist adaptor and swap the plugs over when installing the hardtop. (If this is done I'm also not sure whether the cable might get snagged when retracting the roof...)

Quick Reply: Help with soft top heated rear screen wiring please