UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

hi all! POSSIBLE future S2K owner

Old 11-25-2008, 11:36 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

and welcome.....
Old 11-26-2008, 12:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased my S2000 in June this year and on my shortlist was also the Boxtser S. In the end the S2000 was more rare, better looking and much better value both in purchase and maintenance. Boxsters cost at least 2x to run (the fixed servicing is a killer and they are less reliable than the Honda). I had already had a Porsche before so also fancied the change.

From your list it would seem that this will be a 'leisure' car for you as the choices are quite incongruous between them (330d v Westie??), in which case you really need to focus on the ones that will excite you the most, would easily scratch off the list things like the 330's, TT and Audi S.

How about a Lancia Integrale or Audi RS2?
Old 11-26-2008, 01:08 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Who even notices a Boxster on the road these days?
But EVERY time I take the Honda out it attracts attention.

Nice to have something a little unusual, but not chav.
Old 11-26-2008, 03:55 AM

The Honda does attract some attention but not as much as my bro-in-laws Elise. Everytime we go for a drive all the passers by look at his motor.......
Old 11-26-2008, 08:21 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Talking

Understandable, they are usually driven by girls.

I remeber my test drive - out with some kid salesman who looked like he just quit "Blue".

It dawned on me after why everyone was looking at us.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:11 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"Right then, that's about it really. So if anybody has got any good insight/ideas into my tailhappy/handling question i'd be most grateful!! thanks!!"

The later cars (2002 on I think from memory) were set-up to be prone to less oversteer. Earlier cars are more prone but, assuming the geometry is not out and the correct rear tyres* are fitted, handle perfectly well assuming you are used to RWD (do NOT lift in corners!). In fact, I prefer my earlier car to the later ones because sliding the back a bit is fun (probably not always the fastest way but defintely fun). If you have ever enjoyed go-karting you'll love the back end on an S2K

Having said the above, if you want a low running cost open top car that handles like a dream you really should test drive an Elise. The handling will knock the S2K into a cocked hat (if you really must have a VTEC look up the Sinclair's CTR Elise conversion - that makes for one seriously quick car!).

* The OEM tyres (ES02JZ's) were confusingly labled S-02 225s, as were other S-02 225s (S02JZ's). The difference was that the OEMs were actually nearly 245 in width and with a very stiff sidewall. Using "ordinary 225's" on the back causes a lot more oversteer and makes the onset much more sudden. I am convinced that lots of cars with the "wrong rear tyres" (unknown to owners - or Honda dealers who are some of the most useless out there) gave rise to a lot of the car's reputation as being "tail happy". ES02JZ tyre's are no longer made. The answer for early cars, IMO,is to fit 245/45 16 rears (but these are as rare as rocking horse droppings). In short, if you buy an S2K, make sure it's a later one.
Old 11-26-2008, 01:25 PM

Loved the CRX VTec. I only parted with it very recently...... I wish I had the time to resore it. Perhaps one of you actually have my ex-CRX which has been restored since you are an owner of the Moonrock S2000.

Harry
Old 11-26-2008, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by mikdys,Nov 26 2008, 08:11 PM
I am convinced that lots of cars with the "wrong rear tyres" (unknown to owners - or Honda dealers who are some of the most useless out there) gave rise to a lot of the car's reputation as being "tail happy". ES02JZ tyre's are no longer made. The answer for early cars, IMO,is to fit 245/45 16 rears (but these are as rare as rocking horse droppings). In short, if you buy an S2K, make sure it's a later one.
It was the S02s that gave the car the reputation!

They are crap in the cold and/or wet.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:56 PM
J_D

The S2000 is only a handful If you tease it, IE full throttle out of jcns etc, but isnt any different from any other rear wheel drive car in the wet really as the car is 50:50 weight distribution.

If your bothered about it make sure all the tyres are a good brand and have more than 3mm tread and have your geometry done, which should solve any loose tail action.

Audi TT , Audi A3, what a pile of poo, apart from that the rest are good cars.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:12 PM

Hey Craig, long time no see.
You still in Wakefield / Huddersfield area ?

The S2000 can bite, but you usually need to be doing something silly.
These cold nights aren't helping things and I expect to see a few written off soon, infact I'm surprised it hasn't started yet.

The later cars with the 17" RE050 tyres seem a massive improvement on the earlier 16" SO2's, but of course you can fit new wheels to earlier cars and have the benefit.

If I'm up that way in the S2000 in the near future you can take mine out, however I think my pre Christmas northern trip will be in the Merc.

Quick Reply: hi all! POSSIBLE future S2K owner