UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.
View Poll Results: Should I?
Buy the high mileage one and use the £3K saved in fuel.
21.05%
Buy the low mileage one, tighter engine you have more power and even more fun.
78.95%
I'm divided as you.
0%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

High vs Low mileage

Old 01-31-2017, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys,

Sorry for my silence. I gone to see both cars and unfortunately both came out to be "turkeys". I'm starting to change my mind and get a good AP1 03 instead trying to get a bad 04 and in the process save some money that I could put in better use such as fuel, insurance and tax. What you think?
Old 01-31-2017, 11:34 PM

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

I bought mine with 94k on the clock, rusty rear arches but with FSH, its done 130k now and has a supercharger fitted.
If you plan on keeping it then mileage shouldnt be of any concern, these engine will go forever if looked after correctly as is evident in the US with people hitting 250,000 miles.
If your buying to hopefully get a return when you come to sell then low mileage and garage is the choice.
Old 02-01-2017, 11:19 AM

I had the same dilemma when I bought mine last year, looked at loads of different variations of high and low miles facelift/pre facelift and wasted loads of time traveling to look at them. In the end I found a pre facelift 02 with 41000 miles and mint condition with new hood and tyres and full Honda history. They are out there don't settle for 2nd best wait and the right one will materialise
Old 02-01-2017, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Keyc-uk
I had the same dilemma when I bought mine last year, looked at loads of different variations of high and low miles facelift/pre facelift and wasted loads of time traveling to look at them. In the end I found a pre facelift 02 with 41000 miles and mint condition with new hood and tyres and full Honda history. They are out there don't settle for 2nd best wait and the right one will materialise
Thanks, that is really a very sensible advice. In my quest I found many "turkeys " where the price listed didn't correspond to my expectations. Example, the low mileage one , was £10500 04my the body had significant dents to the body. The high mileage one was too worn and still the owner asking price was still 8k. I find that many of them are stupidly overpriced for the ware and tear they have. I do understand its a car that people wants, and are prepared to pay some extra for it like me to certain extent, but there are limits of what I would call common sense.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:08 AM

I was getting really dejected when I couldn't find one I even started thinking about mx5's! Car dealers were the worst cos they'd say full service history and then it would be 3 years since it's been serviced, I'd also say don't be scared of buying one privately cos that's what I did and mine was great for the money
Old 02-02-2017, 08:53 AM

I have been looking at both private and dealer. Unfortunately, I find too many cars that aren't up to the asking price from 1k up to 2.5k off the mark (this is only my view based in what I have checked) .
Old 02-02-2017, 08:56 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sianara2000
Thanks, that is really a very sensible advice. In my quest I found many "turkeys " where the price listed didn't correspond to my expectations. Example, the low mileage one , was £10500 04my the body had significant dents to the body. The high mileage one was too worn and still the owner asking price was still 8k. I find that many of them are stupidly overpriced for the ware and tear they have. I do understand its a car that people wants, and are prepared to pay some extra for it like me to certain extent, but there are limits of what I would call common sense.
What other reasons would you classify the ones you saw as turkeys? Aside from dented bodywork, rust, missing service?
Old 02-02-2017, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Leonfocus
What other reasons would you classify the ones you saw as turkeys? Aside from dented bodywork, rust, missing service?
I mean cars that are publicise as "mint", "fsh" , "excelente through out" and when you go and check them you find the car battered, half of the vehicle history missing, wires sticking and engines with no oil at all and still ask a price of 8k up to 11k... I hope this clarifies.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:04 AM

Received 128 Likes on 109 Posts

There's one on Facebook UK owners group for what seems like a decent price... https://m.facebook.com/groups/1447004172281605?view=permalink&id=173754186322783 3
Old 02-02-2017, 10:25 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If it's any consolation I went through the same rigmarole when buying mine. I looked at several that were "mint" and yet they were dogs. One car stood out, a black 2007 in a garage in Bristol, the car went up for 11 grand, I rang them and said I would be down a few days later to see the car. I made the journey and they jacked the price up to 14 grand, I said a few choice words and left. when you see a car you like, go see it ASAP and if it's in good nick and the spec you want, get it. Because more than likely, someone else will! Happened to me with 3, a silver, black and a GT100.

Quick Reply: High vs Low mileage