UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

HKS SC kit topic

Old 09-03-2016, 11:20 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by E4RTH WORM JIM
Originally Posted by Define198' timestamp='1472807541' post='24053436
[quote name='E4RTH WORM JIM' timestamp='1472801174' post='24053404']
The CT & SOS kits are only held on by the rear mount holes and they are fine. Suppose you could wait for confirmation to put your mind at rest.

Is the overheating issue now fixed?
Seems to be nearly fixed at least, its not 100% but i can now push the car hard, it seems it was just down to air flow, eventually i am going to replace the air con condenser as its a bit tired and fit a j's racing bumper to hopefully fully sort it when funds allow.
So are you now able to log in to AEM tuner and look at things so you can monitor and learn?
[/quote]

as far as i am aware i can, haven't yet tried though! i know he unlocked but, but if he has locked it again i dont know lol
Old 09-06-2016, 11:26 PM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Spent sometime on mine over the last few days. I fitted a shroud and some fans to my radiator. I also blocked the gaps around the radiator to try and increase air flow.

The shroud seems to have made quite a big difference. It was a mishimoto shroud but i binned those crap fans they supply. They are junk IMO. Fitted some from revotec which are much much better. I had to drain all the coolant out to gain enough access to fit the shrouds and fans properly. I left the car idling for a good 45 minutes with the fans cycling on and off and the amount of bubbles coming out of the coolant funnel even after 30 minutes was quite surprising. Got it all bled properly and everything is running sweet.

I had some huge flames out of the exhaust last night, too the extent that i saw the flash in the rear mirror

I do really like this kit, its not perfect but when your on the power and really stretch the gears its hard not to smile! I think its not far off being ready to put on track. I would be quite confident that it would be okay coolant wise. Just need to get it on a dyno to double check everything
Old 09-07-2016, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by markforrester99
Spent sometime on mine over the last few days. I fitted a shroud and some fans to my radiator. I also blocked the gaps around the radiator to try and increase air flow.

The shroud seems to have made quite a big difference. It was a mishimoto shroud but i binned those crap fans they supply. They are junk IMO. Fitted some from revotec which are much much better. I had to drain all the coolant out to gain enough access to fit the shrouds and fans properly. I left the car idling for a good 45 minutes with the fans cycling on and off and the amount of bubbles coming out of the coolant funnel even after 30 minutes was quite surprising. Got it all bled properly and everything is running sweet.

I had some huge flames out of the exhaust last night, too the extent that i saw the flash in the rear mirror

I do really like this kit, its not perfect but when your on the power and really stretch the gears its hard not to smile! I think its not far off being ready to put on track. I would be quite confident that it would be okay coolant wise. Just need to get it on a dyno to double check everything
Sounds good! will be going similar route i think when funds allow, haven't noticed any flames apart from a few on dyno but haven't done hardly any night driving if any at all, car is now being driven daily, so when the tank is empty im going to brim it drive it normally with no pulls as im wanting to know how many miles to the tank it gets when shifting at no higher than 3.5k from the odd use mpg seemed terrible, so will see!
Old 09-07-2016, 03:00 AM

Define if you have wideband and its set up to work with your AEM then your fuel economy should be pretty good when driving day to day. It wont be much worse than stock.

Si, is there any chance you could find out from HKS whats the maximum oil temperature that the supercharger oil should reach? I know it comes with an oil cooler but i would imagine with the supercharger being over the exhaust that there is a chance the oil could get pretty hot and start breaking down.
Old 09-07-2016, 03:03 AM

Define if you have wideband and its set up to work with your AEM then your fuel economy should be pretty good when driving day to day. It wont be much worse than stock.

Si, is there any chance you could find out from HKS whats the maximum oil temperature that the supercharger oil should reach? I know it comes with an oil cooler but i would imagine with the supercharger being over the exhaust that there is a chance the oil could get pretty hot and start breaking down.
I do have wideband linked to the aem. But it does not seem to be... Driving to Nottingham around 35 miles, i started with 6 bars of fuel(facelift under half a tank), and before i even got their i was down to the light on, maybe 5 miles out.. that's with 70mph constant steady cruising with very low rpm gear changes, seems a lot worse than stock from what i remember
Old 09-07-2016, 04:12 AM

Its probably not switched on. You can have it work for light load ie. cruising but disable it for idle and high boost etc.

Its the best way of getting good fuel economy. Most tuners leave it off as if the sensor goes wrong it can cause issues. I have mine set to 10% + or - fuel. If your mapping is good then the wideband will help you get the extra bit of economy and keep it running smoothly. If you have it wired in but switched off its a massive waste IMO
Old 09-07-2016, 07:03 AM
UK Trader

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

I have fired the question over - I would expect it would also be dependant on Oil grade used, lets see what they say.

As a side note my MPG improved once the charger was fitted - but if your "using" all the power at the high end of the rev range you will be guzzling more fuel than before! Normal traffic driving you should see 20-50 miles more to a tank IIRC - although mine was the old paxton/CT setup.

Old 09-07-2016, 07:16 AM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

My fuel usage it nearly identical with this SC and 800cc injectors, approximately 250 miles a tank.

As an slight tangent, if anyone is running the charger without a catch can attached to the PCV valve line, (and I'm sure you all are), this is how much crap I caught in about 1000 miles. You really don't want that circulating back in.

Old 09-07-2016, 10:17 AM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Is your catch can to atmosphere or the intake pipe?
Old 09-07-2016, 10:26 AM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Rotrex quote the SC traction fluid shouldn't exceed 80c for those asking.

Quick Reply: HKS SC kit topic