UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

HKS and a vibration

Old 04-01-2011, 08:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HKS and a vibration

Evening all - wonder if you can help me out.

I've had the HKS on for a while now and it sounds amazing. My only gripes I have are twofold, and i'd love to see if they can be resolved.

1/ Uneven protrusion of the exhaust tips - the driver's side tip sticks out way further than the passenger side (probably about 1.5" more). Is everyone else's HKS the same, or is this just bad aligning?

2/ Rattle / vibration - there is the most anoying vibration / buzzing noise coming from somewhere inside the cabin (well I think it's inside) between 3000rpm and 3100rpm both on acceleration and deceleration (yes it is that narrow a range). It sounds like there are angry bees in the car at that rev range. It's also through all 6 forward gears (not tired it in reverse).

Any help would be greatly appreciated (especially if there is a common buzz that has been identifed and cured, as it's doing my head in!)

Cheers
Andy
Old 04-01-2011, 11:20 AM

1. HSK
Have you actually looked underneath to see if there is an obvious reason as to why?
The rear pair if HSK silencers on my car slotted into exactly the same rubber carriers as the OE system and the tips are exactly in line. Perhaps one of the HSK metal hangers is bent, but a visual check will surely reveal the reason for your problem.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:43 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Buzz is likely to be a heatshield or the cat.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:09 AM

Thanks guys - i'll be getting under the car today to have a good look.
The buzz has only just started since i got the hks fitted. I've always had a v quiet metallic rattle which i reckon is a heatshield, but this new one sounds very much like its in the car.
Old 04-02-2011, 03:34 AM

I'm off this week if you need a hand....
Old 04-02-2011, 07:07 AM

I might take you up on that offer Dave, cheers. I'm getting under there tonight, so if i cant sort it, i'll give you a buzz.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:04 PM

Did you ever find out what caused the rattle because i am having a similiar problem after installing my invidia catback......
Old 01-07-2012, 04:19 AM

Wow, good use of search!
There were two culprits...

1/ as everyone said on here, the catalytic converter heatshield was loose. That fixed one of them.
2/ The other one was a metal plate that holds the fuel guage(sp) sensor in the fuel tank (part 28 in the link below - it sits on the top of the circular hole in the top of the fuel tank). At certain rpm this was vibrating and echoing throughout the cabin. I took it off and added some little spots of silicone sealant around it, waited for it to go hard and then screwed it back on.

My link
Old 01-07-2012, 07:35 AM

Thanks alot! I'll have to check that out soon and i will let you know how it goes.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:34 PM

Hey man, I dont really want to sound like a noob but.... how exactly do I get to that? lol

Quick Reply: HKS and a vibration