UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Honda Extended Warranty - now available for older cars

Old 09-04-2013, 11:11 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts
Default Honda Extended Warranty - now available for older cars

Whilst in my local dealer having some bits fixed, I noticed that Honda are now offering an extended warranty for cars up to 15 years old. (In the past, they only went up to 10 years).

This information, combined with the recent glut of engine failures was of interest, so I have purchased 3 years' of cover for £940 (paid in 10 monthly instalments of £94).

As before, it includes Recovery including Homestart, and Full European cover as well.

Vehicles up to 8 years old
1 Year £365
2 Years £595
3 Years £795

Vehicles over 8 years old
1 Year £399.50
2 Years £705
3 Years £940

By way of comparison, Porsche, with their brilliant German Engineering, wont offer a warranty on a car over 9 years old or which has done more than 125k miles. A one year warranty from them for a Boxster up to 9 years old is £909 and 2 years' £1,675

I await the usual "Honda's warranty wouldn't pay out for my worn brake pads" posts, but if you have an older car, or one with a VSA unit, then this may very well be a good idea.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:15 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Is there much on an older car that won't be excluded as wear and tear?

I expect its a warranty company offering the warranty as opposed to Honda themselves.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:15 PM
UK Moderator

It's Honda Happiness, so will be part of a Honda scheme (as it always was, and they've simply extended it to include older cars, whic makes sense as people are holding on to them longer these days). In my experience, the warranty companies won't cover cars over 10 years old, and certainly not for those sorts of prices. Some more info here: http://www.honda.co....nded-guarantee/

"Wear and Tear" is of course excluded but something like what happened to PaulF or Burnsy would most likely be covered, and that would be a good thing I think.

I'll post up some more details when I get the documents through.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:58 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Did Dave Stroud give you an S2K discount on the warranty ? Just interested as I will probably switch to the Honda warranty in March and it would be a nice saving (last warranty more than paid for by the VSA replacement!!)
Old 09-06-2013, 01:55 PM
UK Moderator

Originally Posted by soupdragon
Did Dave Stroud give you an S2K discount on the warranty ? Just interested as I will probably switch to the Honda warranty in March and it would be a nice saving (last warranty more than paid for by the VSA replacement!!)
He used to, but I got mine from Crown Bushey.
Old 09-07-2013, 01:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After several personal experiences, both with dealer and independent warranty companies....my opinion is that they are not worth the paper they are written on.

I don't care what the salesman or Roger on the end of the phone says is covered, when it comes to claiming, my bet would be that its not covered for some reason or another.

If wear and tear is excluded then they will try their best to prove that is what caused any kind of failure, even more so on a 10 year old car. There is a major issue with BMW N47 engines failing due to the timing chain issue and they won't even acknowledge the issue, let alone get it repaired under their warranty scheme.
Old 09-07-2013, 01:56 AM
UK Moderator

Originally Posted by laurieballard
After several personal experiences, both with dealer and independent warranty companies....my opinion is that they are not worth the paper they are written on.

I don't care what the salesman or Roger on the end of the phone says is covered, when it comes to claiming, my bet would be that its not covered for some reason or another.

If wear and tear is excluded then they will try their best to prove that is what caused any kind of failure, even more so on a 10 year old car. There is a major issue with BMW N47 engines failing due to the timing chain issue and they won't even acknowledge the issue, let alone get it repaired under their warranty scheme.
This post would suggest otherwise: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...5&postcount=12

As would the comments in this thread: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/to...-chain-failure

It's people without warranties who have suffered the worst.

Some feedback from this forum about the Honda Warranty
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/103...t__p__22701423
Old 09-08-2013, 12:25 PM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Need to see T&Cs LG when you get them. I'm keen to see how they define pre-existing in terms of damage, wear or behaviour contributing to wear, eg Track Days, modding, etc.
In insurance terms its a simple risk ratio; older car presents a higher risk of failure. For under a grand, the cover my be heavily caveated otherwise they'd be getting raped.
Old 09-08-2013, 02:34 PM
UK Moderator

Here's the unofficial flyer from the dealer. Cover looks pretty comprehensive.

You have to remember that as part of the Honda scheme, we would be subsidised by all those very reliable Jazz, Civics and so on (see the Warranty Direct Reliability Index) so we probably do pretty well.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a Honda Warranty in May this year. I paid an extra £25 and it covers wear and tear - if that is an option on this scheme it seems great - although unfortunately roofs still = ancillary trim! :-)

Quick Reply: Honda Extended Warranty - now available for older cars