UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Honda UK S2000 Alignment Bulletin

Old 02-13-2002, 06:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rob, I see what you're saying. The ironic thing is that the camber on the left rear was outside service spec, but is now at -2 degrees as the new recommended figure! So it was close to the new recommendation. It was 20' off which was outside setting limits though. Part of the confusion stems from the equipment used. Not all alignment machines use the same measurement for the same quantity - for example some measure it as a distance in mm, while others use an angle in degrees.

As to the correct figures... the tricky thing is that there is no single set of correct figures. There's the original figures (as per the service manual, and in my original alignment post), plus the new recommened alignment from Honda UK. I'm much happier with the new Honda UK recommended alignment, but it is partly personal preference. Since an alignment generally isn't expensive, I'd suggest trying the new Honda UK figures. Then it's cheap to change back if you don't get along with them. Or even ask to see what your car is current at before they realign it - it might be closer to one or the other alignement as it stands.

-Brian.
Old 02-13-2002, 11:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Matt
As regards Horizon, they are my dealer. I haven't had the alignment changed so cannot comment on their capability. They are a big Honda dealer and at least one of their guys is S2000 trained. He was even called on to change my rear tyre back in '99 and it was the first one he had done. He was sh1tting bricks, but did a perfect job.

Best to ask if they have done any others first.

I'm not sure the change is a good idea or not especially given the risks of a botched job. Honda obviously reckon it is worth it, unless they are just drumming up business for the dealers
Old 02-13-2002, 01:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Whilst I am now having second thoughts about the wisdom of asking for the alignment changes, I still think my original rational was sound - I wanted the alignment to be checked (my car has covered more than the 7000 Brian's had done - his alignment was all over the place), and as they were checking alignment, I thought they might as well 'dial in' the new settings.

Well, as I say, it made sense to me 9 days ago
Old 02-13-2002, 01:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by ianl
Whilst I am now having second thoughts about the wisdom of asking for the alignment changes, I still think my original rational was sound - I wanted the alignment to be checked (my car has covered more than the 7000 Brian's had done - his alignment was all over the place), and as they were checking alignment, I thought they might as well 'dial in' the new settings.

Well, as I say, it made sense to me 9 days ago
Ian, have you contacted Honda UK Customer services? I know Honda are trying to get the problem with aligning the car sorted out, but a nice phone call just registering that you're a little frustrated might help speed things along. I wouldn't say I'm a fan of them, but I think it's at least worth a try.

-Brian.
Old 02-15-2002, 12:05 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by bmarshall

Ian, have you contacted Honda UK Customer services? I know Honda are trying to get the problem with aligning the car sorted out, but a nice phone call just registering that you're a little frustrated might help speed things along. I wouldn't say I'm a fan of them, but I think it's at least worth a try.

-Brian.
I know what you mean Brian - but I really dont want to do this at the moment - Geo Collins have been very proffesional about the whole thing - they have phoned me daily (unprompted) They have spoken to Honda Tech services. They have sent Chris, their 'Diagnostic' mechanic up to Honda tech. support. They have called in a guy from Sun (who manufacture the alignment equipment they use). I feel they have been fair and honest with me. The last thing I want to do at the present is put their backs up.

Additionally - I had a call yesterday evening and - Wooooo-hoooooooo my car is aligned I collect it this evening. I will report back an alignment and........I have nearly forgotten about this.......my new 055 clutch assembly
Old 02-15-2002, 12:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ianl
[B]

I know what you mean Brian - but I really dont want to do this at the moment - Geo Collins have been very proffesional about the whole thing - they have phoned me daily (unprompted) They have spoken to Honda Tech services. They have sent Chris, their 'Diagnostic' mechanic up to Honda tech. support. They have called in a guy from Sun (who manufacture the alignment equipment they use). I feel they have been fair and honest with me. The last thing I want to do at the present is put their backs up.

Additionally - I had a call yesterday evening and - Wooooo-hoooooooo my car is aligned
Old 06-08-2002, 04:02 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ianl
[B]Additionally - I had a call yesterday evening and - Wooooo-hoooooooo my car is aligned
Old 06-08-2002, 10:08 PM

Originally posted by Cedric Tomkinson
, especially a performance car like this one where wrong settings can have really having one of the better dealers to go to. Perhaps Im just being anal... I usually am Jan says.
I think it
Old 06-09-2002, 03:09 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by AlexC
[B]

Ian - I've just read this thread, it all sounds very interesting, and I am wondering what you though of the re-alignment when you finally got your car back?
Old 06-10-2002, 02:57 AM

Thanks Steve- I'll probably do it next time car needs to go in for anything