UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Hood seal grease - what a price !

Old 10-20-2003, 02:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting, the grease is called Shin Etsu silicone grease and I have p/n 08798-9013 (I think it's on pg 89 of the drivers manual).

I've asked two Honda dealers parts' departments about this and the guys behind the desk have stared at me blankly as if I was talking complete Klingon. When I mentioned the application and that it is merely silicone grease and give them the part no. they mumble something about not a Honda stock part. Despite the Honda dealers best efforts I'm trying to keep my car in tip top condition, glad I'm not going mad in the head.
Old 10-20-2003, 11:20 PM

Originally posted by tech81
Interesting, the grease is called Shin Etsu silicone grease and I have p/n 08798-9013 (I think it's on pg 89 of the drivers manual).

I've asked two Honda dealers parts' departments about this and the guys behind the desk have stared at me blankly as if I was talking complete Klingon. When I mentioned the application and that it is merely silicone grease and give them the part no. they mumble something about not a Honda stock part. Despite the Honda dealers best efforts I'm trying to keep my car in tip top condition, glad I'm not going mad in the head.

Right - thats it - I'm going to write a letter of complaint to Honda UK.
Old 10-21-2003, 08:06 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally posted by tech81

I've got the T-shirt.

I tried rubbing an oriental lap dog on the seals, but it bit me and ran off.
Old 10-21-2004, 08:52 AM

At last found a thread with that poxy search engine that never works !!!!

http://www.divebooty.co.uk/online_specials/595.htm
Old 10-21-2004, 09:36 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I know you guys are talking about a lubricant/sealant for the seals, but if you're interested in weather-proofing the roof itself, I've used the following with good results ...

... and before anyone says anything, it's the only BMW product to darken my garage (shame Honda don't do one themselves)

BMW do two products. One is a convertible hood cleaner (pump spray type bottle a la Windolene) with which you clean the hood, and the second is a Hood Impregnator ( ... I'll be back [Austrian accent]). This time you make up a solution (instructions cleverly hidden under the bottle's label) and, using a sponge, soak it into the hood and keep going until it will absorb no more. Then let it dry.

Outstanding results though ... the water beads beautifully and just rolls off the roof.

Impregnator is
Old 10-21-2004, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Shiskine,Oct 21 2004, 06:36 PM
BMW do two products. One is a convertible hood cleaner (pump spray type bottle a la Windolene) with which you clean the hood, and the second is a Hood Impregnator ( ... I'll be back [Austrian accent]). This time you make up a solution (instructions cleverly hidden under the bottle's label) and, using a sponge, soak it into the hood and keep going until it will absorb no more. Then let it dry.
Are you sure that you need impregnation ? The hood is vinyl, so probably only needs cleaning, and UV protection ?
Old 10-21-2004, 10:00 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

or here Jamie

http://www.divingdirectshop.co.uk/ac...ADHESIVES.html
Old 10-21-2004, 10:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't see any silicone grease there Ian.
Old 10-21-2004, 10:55 AM

If you have a hobby shop near you pop in and ask them if they have any silicone grease. Chances are they will as it is used when building radio controlled cars.

Something like this:

http://www.jperkinsdistribution.co.uk/deta...s%20-%20Eco%208

Hard top guy sells the Shin-Etsu brand stuff, but his shipping prices are comedic
Old 10-21-2004, 11:43 AM

Having tried both the Seaman's and the Shin Etsu silicone grease.
Recommend the Shin Etsu silicone grease. Easier application, thicker, doesn't mess the windows (just a little) and stopped the small leaks I had.

Quick Reply: Hood seal grease - what a price !