UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

How genuine are dyno charts?

Old 04-26-2008, 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How genuine are dyno charts?

Just a thought, and i'm not accusing anyone of anything, but, is there anything to stop a manufacturer making a dyno out of photoshop in order to help sell a product?
Old 04-26-2008, 02:38 PM

Yes, the law.

And if you believe these dyno charts with anything more than 50%, no sympathy goes your way
Old 04-26-2008, 09:35 PM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Suspect it would be illegal.

There is a wide variation in what manufacturers claim and what reality is. Some are conservative and some are quite optimistic! Their figures will be at given ambient and other regulated conditions.

Manufacturers tend to bench test dyno's and I would think it's tightly regulated. Si2k may know more.

As for aftermarkey dyno's, well that's another ball game! It can be tricky to fiddle a dyno, but there are key things to look for...
Old 04-26-2008, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by MB,Apr 27 2008, 05:35 AM
As for aftermarkey dyno's, well that's another ball game! It can be tricky to fiddle a dyno, but there are key things to look for...
The shape of the curve really.

All these numbers are essentially

You have to use your own car as a datum and then go from there.

On a different note - all the supposed power parts I have bought for my car, I have bought for everything they offer BUT the power gain.

Take from that what you will
Old 04-26-2008, 10:11 PM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

There are more accurate things to look for. ie power and torque should always cross at the exact same rpm for any dyno - this is a given. I've see a few which don't! You can also watch some of the parameters they put in.

Dyno's are useful if you get a repeatable reuslt, then you make a change or addition, then get a different repeatable result. Trouble is on the S2000 most NA mods are within the realms of dyno error because the effects of exhaust / intake mods are so small.