UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

I'm out

Old 08-27-2010, 12:09 AM
LTB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tej,Aug 27 2010, 07:40 AM
Not sure if its time of year, people feeling financially insecure or whether theres something putting them off the car
I'll tell you exactly what the problem is - your asking price.

You may feel that it is worth a certain price, the market unfortunately doesn't share your view.

I know how you feel as I recently sold mine, but I had to price it keenly before anybody took any notice.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cupracing,Aug 27 2010, 07:39 AM
I do agree with you one trusting the car, mine is a 2001 but I just feel like it will fall apart or break. It is the only car I have ever owned where I have taken out RAC breakdown cover on it for peace of mind.
Mine is a V reg, I have done 30K miles in two years and it has been fantastic!

I have had one electrical problem with the door lock, which has been fixed. Aside of that, it's the most reliable car I've ever had. I love it!

I think you must have had bad luck with your car, rather than it being the norm to expect it to break down.

No matter how reliable my car has been, I would always have breakdown cover. You never know!
Old 08-27-2010, 01:14 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Where abouts in North Yorkshire are you?
Old 08-27-2010, 01:27 AM

Received 628 Likes on 548 Posts

lots of threads about these cars falling apart - in my approaching 8 years with the car i've broke a wheel bearing clouting the kurb and had to free up my rear calipers once - daily driver through our salty winters..

there you go - some balance

some dealers are sh1te though
Old 08-27-2010, 01:45 AM

Received 78 Likes on 65 Posts

I have had my car since new, look at my stars. that's how old it is.

One new roof I just wore it out and it was vandalised

Er just fitted first set of new discs, after 4 sets of pads 64,000 miles

One washer pump motor

and nowt else not even a lamp

And mine is no Garage queen , was used as a Van for 2 years early in its life , and often see's the red line, had lots of new tyres, one sticky caliper after recent new discs and pads but ok after a quick wiggle and a bit of hard use. My suspension bolts have never been out, and have been adjested 3 times with no problems. So there is always another side to the story.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:55 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Me three. Apart from an explodey engine, which might possibly be attributable to driving style; I like woefully underpowered cars like the S2000 and the NSX.

I'm sure it's more about purchase justification, with regards to moving to a simple but fragile Vauxhall shed or an overly-complicated and very parts-expensive German counterpart!
Old 08-27-2010, 02:01 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Car is 8 years old now, and 98k miles, with 30 or so trackdays.

The only actual failure was one electrical connector broken. Cost 2 Euros to repair.

Some stuff has worn out, a couple of calipers, and I've just had the clutch replaced, but I don't think that's unreasonable. Even the roof would have lasted a couple more years, although I decided to take advantage of a group buy.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:04 AM

Received 78 Likes on 65 Posts

And the other nice thing is, one just doesnt see that many around, cars from the dark side are as common as muck, and boy are they expensive to maintain, I bet you can't get a Boxster serviced for any thing like the same as an S. even if one visits a stealer.

And do I not remember seeing that lots of Boxters having engine problems and for that matter 911 early water cooled one's 996 I think also having lots of engine problems
Old 08-27-2010, 02:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It unfortunate that you feel your car is poorly assembled. I have had my S 4 years now and I am the second owner. Never had any serious issues with the car, so I can only say good things about mine.

Don't forget the S2000 has once again been ranked the most reliable car in the UK even eleven years after it first went on sale.

I can't speak from personal experience but having a few friends who own similar cars I would say that moving to an older boxster or vauxhall will most likely cost you substantially more in the long run and will probably be even less reliable.

Each to their own though

Thinking about it, I completely agree that most dealerships are completely useless, hence I will be moving over to a good independent for my next service. I just need to find one or around London.

Good luck with the sale.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The issue is as much dealer apathy and HUK's attitude as anything. As I said previously my old CRX was bomb proof. Ran that for 7 years.

Later Honda's seem to have lost the plot quality wise and my experience is that neither the dealers or HUK care.

As for running costs an 05 boxster has a 2 year warranty, old style tax, lower group insurance a 2 year warranty and 2 year / 20,000 mile service interval and feel like they were built by a craftsman not Blue Peter.

Experience of last 3 weeks following visit to a highly respected s2000 dealer and subsequent HUK attitude means my love affair with the car is definately over. Must say I am really disappointed because I was a bit of a Honda fan pre this and really enjoyed the car but the bits falling off and dealers are too much hassle.

Quick Reply: I'm out