UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Is it impossible to connect an MP3 player?

Old 12-07-2003, 12:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it impossible to connect an MP3 player?

I've searched and searched and can't find any sage advice on how to connect an MP3 player (or similar) to the standard MY02 stereo head unit!.

Has anyone cracked this problem yet?...... I want to connect an MP3 Jukebox (or minidisc) to the AUX input (normally used for the 6CD mulit-changer) via the headphone (or line out) socket.

My S is a company car so changing the standard CD player head unit ins't an option.

Can anyone help?
Old 12-07-2003, 12:18 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by wadswoaj
Has anyone cracked this problem yet?...... I want to connect an MP3 Jukebox (or minidisc) to the AUX input (normally used for the 6CD mulit-changer) via the headphone (or line out) socket.
Old 12-07-2003, 12:21 PM

Bigfecker does indeed use his iPod, but he uses an iTrip to essentially turn it into a mini-radio station and then tunes the radio into the appropriate frequency.

Since that amounts to creating your very own (albeit ultra low wattage) pirate radio station, that's a breach of the Wireless Telegraphy Act and so using an iTrip in the UK is illegal.

(In practice, I suspect that (a) it's too weak to cause any real problems and to be detected and (b) your average dibble won't have a clue what you're up to in the first place.
Old 12-07-2003, 12:29 PM

I saw some info on the iPod and iTrip but gave up on the idea of buying an iPod when I found out that the unreplacable iPod battery generally only lasts 18 months..... and Apple charge ~
Old 12-07-2003, 12:31 PM

Originally posted by Mark Turner
Since that amounts to creating your very own (albeit ultra low wattage) pirate radio station, that's a breach of the Wireless Telegraphy Act and so using an iTrip in the UK is illegal.
You can buy a low power FM transmitter from the likes of Maplins (for not a lot of money IIRC), which I imagine you could hook up to a Jukebox / other MP3 player and work it as described above.

I don't know what the quality of transmission would be like though, and it would worry me that I might be interfering with critical radio transmission such as the emergency services.

(Of course if a cop was pursuing you for speeding, turning his request for a PNC check into the "Best of Wham" might not be such a bad thing )
Old 12-07-2003, 12:32 PM

Apple relented, or so I read, and substantially reduced the price of replacing the battery in the iPod. It may even have been included as warranty work done free of charge - not sure.

I think it's pretty unlikely that proprietary Apple technology like the iTrip will work with a non-Apple mp3 player.

For not a whole lot more than you're contemplating paying for the Nomad, you could get yourself a decent mp3 head unit in the first place.....
Old 12-07-2003, 12:41 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mark Turner
Apple relented, or so I read, and substantially reduced the price of replacing the battery in the iPod. It may even have been included as warranty work done free of charge - not sure.
Old 12-07-2003, 12:50 PM

Have a search for HON-AUX on Google - I think it does what you want.

By the way what's stopping you changing the stereo and putting the old one back when the car goes back?
Old 12-07-2003, 12:50 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by wadswoaj
I fancy getting the Nomad Zen NX (30gig @
Old 12-08-2003, 04:04 AM

Originally posted by potfish
Have a search for HON-AUX on Google - I think it does what you want.

By the way what's stopping you changing the stereo and putting the old one back when the car goes back?
Thanks..... I'll check out the HON-AUX

The only thing stopping me changing the head unit and swapping back to the original (before handing the car back to the leasing firm) is cost and effort!..... I only really want to spend

Quick Reply: Is it impossible to connect an MP3 player?