UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Internal combustion

Old 03-24-2011, 11:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Internal combustion

Some times I find it strange how life mimics mechanics or is it the other way around?
Lately things haven't been going great and my internal combustion has been spluttery at best. The list of issues landing on my plate on a daily basis seems to double and I can't seem to even put a dent in them. This morning I woke up on the couch after working till 4am to find what I can only describe as an amazingly beautiful sunny Thursday morning. But due to everything I felt like it was a foggy November Tuesday at best. Venturing outside I spied my mountain bike that I bought on a whim and abandoned 6 months ago, its price and lack of use irritating me further. Hoping to clear off the cobwebs and blow out the carbs I was determined not to let this glorious weather go to waste and I knew what I had to do. I spent 45 minutes loading up the S2k and then drove the 60 miles to my nearest mountain bike trail. The majority of this drive was motorway with heavy traffic, but with the top down and the tunes on my mood was getting better.

Arriving at the base of the trail I offloaded and took off up the mountain. I suppose I was like a man on a mission, to burn off my bad mood. It wasn't long before I was feeling the burn and every rotation of the pedals was a struggle. As anyone who does mountain biking will tell you, the uphill climbs are rewarded by the fast and technical downhill sections. With my head filled with millions of thoughts, I was no where near concentrating enough on what I was doing. It was only a matter of minutes before I was performing my first gymnastic dismount. Luckily a combination of rock, clay and gorse bush broke my fall. Back in the saddle and feeling tender, I kept going until I discovered my front brakes had stopped working. This helped in delivering me straight into a stream and I tore my leg on the pedals. All of this was not producing the adjustments to my mood I was hoping for. Even pushing harder only reminded me that I was half way up a mountain without breakfast. I finally pulled the pin half way round and headed for the car park. Loading the S2k once again and feeling defeated, I let the car warm before I set off for home. I settled into the seat and adjusted it to allow for ease of movement in my new found condition. Aware that my mountain bike was overhanging each side of the car by a few inches and that it was only held in place by a few straps of the bike rack, I needed to be smooth. Since I had put standard suspension back in and realigned the suspension, I hadn't really been able to settle in my S2k. I set off but I wasn't expecting much.

And that's when it happened.

The road down the mountain was clear and over the next 15 miles everything fell into place. The sun was shining, the roads were empty and the traffic had disappeared. These particular roads are fast with beautiful free flowing bends, the type that inspire confidence when things are going well. One mile in my pain was gone, by three miles I could feel my inner spark again. Thats when the downhill section began, these tighter corners requiring multiple heel and toe down changes to aid the brakes in removing excess speed. 5 miles in I was running on all my cylinders again and the rhythm was getting stronger. I had some occasional glances behind me to ensure my bike was still there. By the 10 mile mark I was listening to my exhaust echoing off the walls lining the road side, encouraging me along the straights and burble as I down changed into the approaching bends. Every gear change, every time I pressed the brake pedal and every turn of the steering wheel had a purpose and felt right. Each action was delicately balanced and complemented the road conditions. Some people like to get drunk and some like to do yoga, both of which I believe can help you forget your troubles. But this evening with the top down on an excellent road and enough sun to warm my face, this little roadster reminded me why I bought it and that its always there waiting to get my inner engine firing.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:47 AM

Luv it!
Old 03-24-2011, 11:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same thing a few weeks ago, was in a bad mood and felt like everything was going wrong.

headed upto the peak district and since driving those roads i have been in a better mood and things seem to be goign right
Old 03-24-2011, 12:13 PM

FULLY know how you feel mate. Just came out of an 8 year relationship and the only thing getting me through it is my S2000, the lovely recent sun and finding some nice clear country roads around here

I owe this car a lot
Old 03-24-2011, 02:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's a really nice story, and well told - hope your leg gets better though only had my S for a month but have already had some really special days out, I like a bit of x-country MTB myself, sometimes it clears the mind, other times it can be like pi55ing in the wind when things go wrong! I blame gravity myself (although my offs are usually from my lack of skills )

Also, just wondered, what type of carrier do you have, and how does it attach etc? I did use a Saris Sentinel on my Lude but it pressed pretty hard into the boot lid so not keen to use it on the S.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:21 AM

Thanks for the comments guys
I was just amazed at how easily I forgot with everything going on, what this car is all about

Earls_f20c I use a Saris Bones 2 bike rack. I put the top leg as close to the top of the boot lid as possible and the lower legs level with the keyhole. When I tighten them completely you can see the top leg press into the boot lid but it does no damage. I've also put a thick thermal sock on each foot to stop any paint damage and it all works great
Old 03-25-2011, 10:16 AM

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Revo84
FULLY know how you feel mate. Just came out of an 8 year relationship and the only thing getting me through it is my S2000, the lovely recent sun and finding some nice clear country roads around here

I owe this car a lot

Yo Revo.

Funnily enough as life would have it, when I came out of a 9 yr effort, I changed my S for a new one! Oh how lifes clouds have their silver linings!! (shes a cheap date really.....super unleaded all the way!)

Heres to a good summer to enjoy our S2k's