UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Jack smiths

Old 03-16-2016, 12:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am booked in for April - quick question, did you have to supply your own Modify / DIY elastic straps or did JS have some in stock - mine are seeming a little bit slack right now (replacing a worn out 12 year old roof) so wanting to get it all done in one hit...
thanks
Old 03-16-2016, 02:26 PM
J_B

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I had a Jack Smith roof on the S2000 (fitted March 2014) that I used to own. It was great. No serious issues with it, but the fabric overlaps beside the rear glass were different. Still, FAR better than the roof that was removed from it, and the new owner of that S2000 was very happy.

LOL at people sticking around. Why would you do that? We walked off and had brunch, then a stroll on the beach, and it was done inside 3 hours.
Old 03-16-2016, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by orgadamz
I am booked in for April - quick question, did you have to supply your own Modify / DIY elastic straps or did JS have some in stock - mine are seeming a little bit slack right now (replacing a worn out 12 year old roof) so wanting to get it all done in one hit...
thanks
I dont think he has any...I bought and supplied my own from Modifry...weirdly he hadn't seen them before, and rather than use the supplied pins to push into the existing rivet holes, he removed all of the old rivets, removed the pins and re-riveted the new straps...much better...

call him to be sure, but I think you'd be better off getting some in yourself to take with you.
Old 03-18-2016, 06:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by J_B
I had a Jack Smith roof on the S2000 (fitted March 2014) that I used to own. It was great. No serious issues with it, but the fabric overlaps beside the rear glass were different. Still, FAR better than the roof that was removed from it, and the new owner of that S2000 was very happy.

LOL at people sticking around. Why would you do that? We walked off and had brunch, then a stroll on the beach, and it was done inside 3 hours.
Brunch??!

Ha ha hope you didn't let that slip out!!
Old 03-25-2016, 02:23 AM

Wow a little suprised to see some of the negative feedback.

I have heard nothing but positive comments about JS, so booked in for 16th April (prior to the green hell trip). Fingers crossed it won't be required for the entire trip anyway
Old 04-11-2016, 06:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As previously mentioned my car went in for its new mohair roof @ the soft top shop in Stockport last Tuesday.

The job took 6 hours in total.

All i can say is wow, its absolutely flawless.

By the looks of things no trim, seats or panels were removed in the process.

The burr on the frame was filed, drainage holes cleaned and new straps installed. The new hood (which i was told was sourced from the US) has additional cloth where the shoulder wear occurs for added protection.

The finish is factory with no loose threads, stitching etc.

Total price was £840 fitted but if you're after a factory quality hood then look no further. More importantly he really looked after my car and not one part of it was marked or damaged.

Paul (the owner who fits the hoods) told me he fits roughly one s2000 hood per week so knows everything there is to know.

Expensive compared to JS but worth every penny especially if you live up north.

I'll post some pictures in due course...I'll start another thread.
Old 04-11-2016, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Al_G
As previously mentioned my car went in for its new mohair roof @ the soft top shop in Stockport last Tuesday.

Total price was £840 fitted but if you're after a factory quality hood then look no further. More importantly he really looked after my car and not one part of it was marked or damaged.
WOW £840 three times the price for the same thing ... it's your money I guess!
Old 04-11-2016, 03:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by s2k_Nut
Originally Posted by Al_G' timestamp='1460384677' post='23934439

WOW £840 three times the price for the same thing ... it's your money I guess!
Is it the same thing though (with the exception of both being a hood)?

In the same manner is a £1000 respray the equivalent of a £3000 respray?

I can confirm that mine is OEM finish and fit. For a flawless job I was happy to pay a premium.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:46 PM
MrM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It will be interesting to see how all the new roofs hold up over time. If cheaper roofs start to have reliability issues after a few seasons of wet weather and sunshine. I wonder if the state of / make of replacement roof will become as important in a car sale/purchase as state of suspension and seized geo bolts? If they hold up well I imagine outfits like JS will become increasingly busy and dare I say prices will rise?

I'm a firm believer of you get what you pay for and buy cheap, buy twice. But the choice of how much to spend on a new roof is clearly up to the owner. Materials, service and care all need to be considered and priced.

These are cars after all, designed to be enjoyed roof up or down, JS roof or otherwise. Happy topless motoring!
Old 04-11-2016, 10:50 PM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Taking it elsewhere comes with the added bonus of not giving your money to a known racist. I don't care how cheap he is, he's not getting my money. (Having said that, he probably would have before this information came to light).

Quick Reply: Jack smiths