UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

JK Composites Seats

Old 02-08-2013, 11:27 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by eSeM
With those seats you could get away with fixed brackets but with bucket seats you either need rails or a removable steering wheel to be able to get in and out of the car.
Not and pass the MOT, unless you're willing to put a sliding drivers seat in once a year.

Having seen the pictures I'm REALLY jealous. Looks like a really neat install. Do want! I will soldier on with the Buddy Clubs.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by eSeM
Originally Posted by mattie170' timestamp='1360346325' post='22323896
As I said before you might need to extend the steering wheel position with these seats. If you're a short arse you might just get away with it.

With those seats you could get away with fixed brackets but with bucket seats you either need rails or a removable steering wheel to be able to get in and out of the car.

These are on rails and I now have a removable steering wheel. Absolutely amazing driving position now.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:25 PM
BCA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim S
Originally Posted by eSeM' timestamp='1360347506' post='22323945
Not and pass the MOT, unless you're willing to put a sliding drivers seat in once a year.

Having seen the pictures I'm REALLY jealous. Looks like a really neat install. Do want! I will soldier on with the Buddy Clubs.
Actually, this shouldn't be a problem. The regulations can be interpreted differently I am sure, but from all the MOT people I've queried so far (we've a fixed seat in our TVR) it's not an issue as long as it is safe and can be removed/ moved* - there's nothing about it being done easily and without a spanner basically. Also, provided it is for proven purpose - which in Dad's case and I presume yours - meaning light competition/ track use, its fine.

*I think they really dont want welded on frankenstein creations in barry boy cars.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:49 PM

Mine failed the MOT in September because my Buddy Clubs (on Buddy Club sliders) wouldn't adjust to 3 different positions as per MOT specs... I swapped the original seats back in but it's a pain in the arse.

If the vehicle never had an adjustable seat (Caterham, TVR?) the sliding position rule doesn't apply.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:16 PM
BCA

The TVR had slideable seats before.

I'd suggest taking your car elsewhere for an MOT, preferably somewhere recommended by motorsporty type companies. It's down to interpretation, but essentially, you should be fine, especially if your car is used for sprints/ hillclimbs.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by BCA

I'd suggest taking your car elsewhere for an MOT, preferably somewhere recommended by motorsporty type companies. It's down to interpretation, but essentially, you should be fine, especially if your car is used for sprints/ hillclimbs.
I know where I can get a hookey MOT, but I'd rather keep it above board! ;-)
Old 02-09-2013, 02:48 AM

Little update:

The BC rails are a little wide for the seats so they will be making up the difference with some spacers or more brackets. Which is a good sign that we shouldn't have any issues with the seat coming into contact with the cabin when using the sliders, but I guess we kind of knew that was going to be the case

They will be sending me some pics soon once they have mounted the base to the rails.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:24 AM

great update
Old 02-09-2013, 06:29 AM
BCA

Originally Posted by Tim S
Originally Posted by BCA' timestamp='1360369009' post='22324879

I know where I can get a hookey MOT, but I'd rather keep it above board! ;-)
I meant they were more likely to know of an MOT place that actually read the new legislation rather than followed some vague bullitin released across several generic garages! Not a dodgy MOT!
Old 02-09-2013, 07:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mattie, those Tillett seat look fantastic (at a price!)

I have spoken with JK who advised me they are producing seats for a VX220 similar to design of Matties seats, so if anyone fancies lightweight seats, that are practical to use for the road and at a seriously tempting price suggest you give them a call.

Roger

Quick Reply: JK Composites Seats