UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Last week's autocar

Old 07-04-2001, 01:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by ricardo_life
sgrant
I think on a track with a loot of straight runs the s2k will shine. On a track full of corners the s2k will be in trouble.
RP
I couldn't disagree more with you on this, IMO it would be the opposite. The S2K handles great and hence would shine in cornering wheras on the straights its lack of torque and need to be constantly in the zone would find it out.

In the autocar track tests only a 911 was faster through some of the twisties than the S2K and there were lots of other more powerful and expensive cars in the test.

Check out the following page German S2000 Page
Old 07-04-2001, 01:44 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by UKjasonm
[B]

I couldn't disagree more with you on this, IMO it would be the opposite. The S2K handles great and hence would shine in cornering wheras on the straights its lack of torque and need to be constantly in the zone would find it out.
Old 07-04-2001, 03:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[B]

Old 07-04-2001, 04:03 AM

for what it's worth, here's my tuppence on this. I was lucky enough to get an hour or two, on track, with an S2000, an Exige and a TT. It was one of the inner tracks at Bedford, so it was small, twisty and lacking in long straights. I've put my own S2000 through a few track days, but this is the only time i've been able to compare it directly to anything else. The Lotus obviously isn't direct competition, since it has a very different mandate, but it was a great example of a pin-point sharp track day car. Steering and responses out of this world, desperately needed a bigger engine and, to be honest, was a better car than I was a driver. Spun it a couple of times (it was damp) whilst trying to push it on through the corners. The TT, which is direct competition, is genuinely appalling on a track. I say that without any axe to grind, but it is slow, heavy, rolls excessively through the corners and has even less steering feedback than the S2K. The traction control wasn't helping, it even kicked in on the straights, but even with it off the chassis was so un-agile that it just died a death on the twisty track. I was 3 seconds a lap slower in the TT than the S2K, on a 45s lap. Sure i'm used to the S2K, but i took a poll of everyone else there and most preferred the S2K, some the Exige (although i think everyone found it a handful) and everyone, without exception, thought the TT was a dog on the track.

If i was a better driver, i suspect i'd prefer the exige. I can't imagine anyone getting anything rewarding out of driving the TT though.

s (stephen)
Old 07-04-2001, 04:56 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[B]

Old 07-04-2001, 05:04 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by sgrant
I think it was Autocar who also ran an update on their long-term S2k a couple of weeks ago. An alarming set of problems, including cracks in the windows, but most interesting was that they changed their rears and found the handling improved significantly. maybe the dealer found something when changing the tyres? who knows. it read like the guy who runs the car rather liked it, but there's one reviewer there who absolutely hates it and he obviously sets the tone for the rag. I wrote to them and suggested they stick it on a track and actually compare it to cars in a similar price bracket, rather than complaining that it doesn't have the handling of a Boxster S, but i wouldn't have thought my letter will get beyond the editor's bin.

s
Interesting that the bloke who hates it is the lover of good old American lumps, Goodwin, and his 7.8 litre Chevy or something, doesn't like to extract the performance potential of the S2000 by revving it .

Old 07-04-2001, 09:42 AM

Last Year (Or was it the one before) Autocar took 20 cars top the track. They ranged from the Ferrari, Porsche brigade, through the noble M10, S2000 and Elise, down to the MGF, MAZDA, etc.

They rated the S2000 8th I think above the Elise, and equal with the Noble M10. It beat all sorts of opposition that today people variously claim to be better.

I was really pleased that Autocar got an eye opener.

I have no doubts about the ability of the S2000 to be stunning on the road, track or my driveway.

Sam.
Old 07-04-2001, 12:15 PM

IS sgrant the same sgrant who got his letter in this weeks Autocar ?
Old 07-04-2001, 12:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by gdowsett-uk
IS sgrant the same sgrant who got his letter in this weeks Autocar ?
Yup.. See his earlier post above!!!

When do we get to to see this letter PLEASE
Old 07-05-2001, 03:41 AM

blimey. did they print it? must go and have a look

stephen

Quick Reply: Last week's autocar