UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Leak in boot

Old 01-20-2011, 08:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leak in boot

Hi - i've searched the forums and even sealed the boot with some sealant with the DIY. With all this heavy rain i've regularly got puddles in the boot. I mop them up and they come back, but always with no obvious sign of a stream of water.

I've just spent 10 mins spraying the car with the hose, to simulate rain from all different angles and there's not a drop in the boot.

Is there a chance it could be coming from underneath? I do have a JDM - any other JDM owner had this problem?

Cheers ppl
Old 01-20-2011, 09:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Could be coming from the petrol cap area?

I have a JDM and there are no areas for water to enter from below, because if that was the case then it would also leave from below too
Old 01-20-2011, 10:34 AM
Banned

Received 131 Likes on 119 Posts

You need to take all the carpet out the boot, cover it all in paper towels and soak it. You'll soon find out which area to target.

Can't see it coming in from below to be honest.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:52 AM

From past experience, most boot leaks are from the tail lights.

My Civic used to leak, removed the tail lights and put some single sided foam tape around the edges, put them back and the leak was gone.

My S2k also leaks, haven't got around to fixing it yet since its pretty minor.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:55 AM

Have a read of this recent thread! There's a lot of info there that should help you find the problem.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:13 PM

found a lot of mine was condensation... warm heaters, warm car, cold metal boot.. condensation on the boot lid inside..
Old 01-20-2011, 11:29 PM

Cheers guys,

A month ago I stripped the boot of carpet and tried the paper towels trick, but there is no obvious sign of a water trickle. I'd also thought of condensation, and it has been worse since the carpets have been out

Denn - thanks for the link, I fear it might be drain holes as mentioned.

JonUK - have you got any idea how easy it is to remove rear lights from an s2000?

Cheers everyone
Old 01-20-2011, 11:32 PM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Carpets out - less insulation = more condensation. Have a look at the underside of the bootlid after a cold night, there's more water than you'd think!
Old 01-20-2011, 11:45 PM

From previous Honda experience (like Jon)

I'd change the light gaskets as a first attempt. Foam gaskets which start to perish and harden. The Integra is well known for it.

Just unbolt the lights and there will be a foam gasket between the light and the body of the car. Very easy to change yourself.

The Teg gaskets from Honda are £25 each for a piece of foam!

If you need to investigate further - With a torch (preferably LED) and a bit of patience you should be able to follow dried up water trails to see where they are coming from. It can be a frustrating job to do.

And a couple final pieces of advice
- don't put the boot trim back in, until you are sure you have fixed the leak. Otherwise you'll get twice as frustrated when you have to keep removing it again to fix it again
- Leaks can appear from underneath the car too. Check with a hose underneath the car and especially inside the wheel arches.

I had a nightmare sorting a leaky boot on the Teg. In the end I stripped the whole car out from behind the front seats for 3 months until I was sure I found where it was coming in. Now my boot is nice and dry Mine was light gaskets - both sides - the water was pouring in in heavy rain. And dodgy seam sealer from a previous accident repair. Once it was fixed I sanded the boot down to get rid of surface rust, then painted with acid etch primer and hammerite topcoat.

Good luck
Old 01-21-2011, 12:15 AM

Tomorrow i'll get in the boot and check the foam gaskets. From the water I've found:

- There seems to be a tiny trickle around both lights
- A hell of a lot in the boot lid - i bought a water absorber pack that sucks moisture from the air. problem is that i forgot i had it in the boot, drove off and it tipped more water all over my boot - this water being salty, horrible stuff.

Having stood around the car giving it serious hose treatment, even from horizontal angles, I was amazed that none of it worked its way into the boot. I've even poured it down the drain holes where the windows meet the base of the roof, like drivers right shoulder. Again, nothing.

Cheers everyone, got plenty to keep me going on with. If I do find gaps with the LED in the gaskets, what's the best thing to repair the holes? standard bathroom sealant okay or is there anything better?

Quick Reply: Leak in boot