UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Leaking in boot

Old 12-24-2008, 02:09 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Leaking in boot

So i have the famous puddle in my boot, where tool kit goes.

I looked at the drain thing by taking the bumper off thats fine.

Seals look good, doesnt seem to be any leaks from brakelight or 'H' badge.

I noticed lots of condensation under the boot lid and the side walls, but can for the life of me see where its getting in, any ideas?

Cheers
Old 12-24-2008, 02:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had any roof work done by a dumbheaded dealer recently?

Best way to check is to use a hose with spray fitting or watering can. Boot open. Pour water over the roof, check for ingress. Its how i found my leak.

Ed
Old 12-24-2008, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by echo66' date='Dec 25 2008, 12:21 AM
Had any roof work done by a dumbheaded dealer recently?

Best way to check is to use a hose with spray fitting or watering can. Boot open. Pour water over the roof, check for ingress. Its how i found my leak.

Ed
Thanks mate , Yes i had a new roof fitted ages ago.

I have tried pouring water over it with no avail

I will say one thing, i notice the roof drainage holes are slightly blocked - one has a bolt in other a small peice of fabric but nothing major.

I just cant find any tool pick the bits out and i cant even gain access to the holes really, its such a small space - i dont know if this has anything to do with it.
Old 12-24-2008, 02:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try getting the bits out...did you look at the petrol cap area? My leak round there was REALLY difficult to spot, I did have to same symptoms as yours, heavy condensation inside behind the carpet.

Perhaps you need to hold the hose over the boot for longer (2-3 minutes) to be able to spot the leak?

Have you adjusted the boot catch?

Are you on about the drain holes behind the seatbelt towers? If so, feed a coathanger from underneath the car (it is possible with the car on the ground, just fiddly)

Have you cleared the sill drains? These are v. small next to the jacking points (front and rear).
Old 12-24-2008, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by loftust' date='Dec 25 2008, 12:56 AM
Try getting the bits out...did you look at the petrol cap area? My leak round there was REALLY difficult to spot, I did have to same symptoms as yours, heavy condensation inside behind the carpet.

Perhaps you need to hold the hose over the boot for longer (2-3 minutes) to be able to spot the leak?

Have you adjusted the boot catch?

Are you on about the drain holes behind the seatbelt towers? If so, feed a coathanger from underneath the car (it is possible with the car on the ground, just fiddly)

Have you cleared the sill drains? These are v. small next to the jacking points (front and rear).
Hiya mate.

I have read that replacing the roof they sometimes disturb some of the drain holes.

I did take out all the boot lining, i had a look around the petrol filler cap but couldnt see anything.

I adjusted the boot catch so the roof shuts tighter.

TBH i havent a clue about drainage holes, can you elaborate? - sorry im sounding like a retard

I didnt know there any drain holes behin seatbelt towers???

The only drain holes i know about the awfully hard to get to ones, the ones behind the door lock mechanism on each side. - these had bits nearly covering the holes when i looked from the top they must need removed from the top???

Sill drains??
Old 12-25-2008, 01:18 AM

i reckon its coming from the panel join on the inner side of the boot lip.

Water resides there before being drained off via the water channels.

Its a poor design and hard to spot + its always better to pour loads of water over the car from different directions. Manys a time ive seen the boot liner to go back in to find damp carpet a week later!

The best fix is to remove everything, arm yourself with a silicone gun and water hose.

Keep dousing the car, open the boot and find the leak. Silicone everything thats not dry.
Old 12-25-2008, 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by aaroncosbey' date='Dec 25 2008, 11:18 AM
i reckon its coming from the panel join on the inner side of the boot lip.
You mean at the sides of the boot, dont quite know where you mean mate

Thanks
Old 12-25-2008, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by Ajs_s2k' date='Dec 25 2008, 03:45 AM
You mean at the sides of the boot, dont quite know where you mean mate

Thanks
Its a hard one to explain....

I did the usuall thing and searched on this forum to find out what it could be.... everyone pointed to the vent behind the bumper (which does need done)

Like this: vent fix

The water cant get through the vent anymore.... but it just goes else where.

Theres a channel ontop of the panel seals. the water lies until it drains...

This isnt a great pic - but its the best i could do at the time.

99% chance this is your problem... test it to see after sealing the boot vent.

(and yes - you have to do from one side of the car to the other)

Make sure before you put the carpets in you've done a good job - the takes quite alot of silicone to do. Its not too hard tho

Since i done it the car has been bone dry
Old 12-25-2008, 06:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ajs_s2k' date='Dec 25 2008, 12:24 AM
Hiya mate.

I have read that replacing the roof they sometimes disturb some of the drain holes.

I did take out all the boot lining, i had a look around the petrol filler cap but couldnt see anything.

I adjusted the boot catch so the roof shuts tighter.

TBH i havent a clue about drainage holes, can you elaborate? - sorry im sounding like a retard

I didnt know there any drain holes behin seatbelt towers???

The only drain holes i know about the awfully hard to get to ones, the ones behind the door lock mechanism on each side. - these had bits nearly covering the holes when i looked from the top they must need removed from the top???

Sill drains??
The sill drains are by the jacking points. They are extremely small, and are much easier to see when the car is raised. A v. small screwdriver can clear them. I have seen these caked in underseal though and needed to be drilled out with a 4mm bit.

The drains behind the seatbelt towers are accessible if you have fairly long arms, and again are much easier to see to if the car is raised. You can however, feel a rubber protrusion in front of the rear wheels, about 10-12 inches towards the middle of the car. The rubber drain points down, you should be able to poke a coat hanger up there. These are probably the same ones you are talking about behind the lock mechanisms.

You will be able to isolate where the leak is roughly coming from if you place paper towels all over the boot (carpet removed) and pour water over the boot for a few minutes...unless you know the leak is front/back and/or left/right in the boot.

HTH
Old 12-25-2008, 06:38 AM

Super thanks guys will have a look at this soon.

Quick Reply: Leaking in boot