UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Leaky boot

Old 09-04-2008, 10:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaky boot

i have a leak in my boot - looks to be coming from the passenger side light cluster.

so - whats the best cure? oodles of sealant behind the light (i presume where the compression marks are on the lights' neoprene foam?), or a new neoprene gasket?

if new neoprene, something B&Q would sell?
Old 09-04-2008, 11:46 PM

You can buy it online from Here
Old 09-05-2008, 03:56 AM

Remove the boot trim, then 5 nuts (I think it's 5)... disconnect & remove light. Give the rubber seals a good lean & treat with shitzu, or whatever that stuff is called.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:11 PM

ok, seems it's not the light only traced the puddle 1/2 way....

turns out it's leaking from one of the water drain tracks from the roof.
i've poured water around the roof and on the passenger side, near the roof motor is where it's leaking in.

i've done the test on both sides of the car, and the roof is not torn. it seems asif the passenger side draining holes are blocked and water is finding it's way into the boot around the roof motor area.
anyone know where might be the problem, and how would i gain physical access to that area so i can look at things properly?
Old 09-06-2008, 03:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep your drain holes clear guys

If you put the roof half down and with a torch look down through the area where the 'brushes' are you will see a flat area in a position roughly behind the position of the door catch.
The drain hole is here and you will prob see lots of leaves etc blocking it.

One of those gadgets for picking up dropped nuts and bolts (push in the end button and a claw opens at the other end) is the ideal tool for this.

I also keep a bit of fibreglass rod out of an old kite for clearing the tube ways
Old 09-06-2008, 07:45 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I noticed a tiny dribble in the spare wheel well when I took it out to go to JAE.
So, reading this I just had a look in the garage.

What I found was the hole on both was indeed blocked slightly.
But both sides had a rubber trim down the hole, about 7" long, sectioned like a wiper blade!

It appears they used to be glued to the inside, under edge of the rear deck trim.
If you fold the roof and look between the outer brushes and the inner of the rear quarter panel, there is a plastic tray that catches water as it runs off the soft top, just behind the doors. Further back is sealed and clamped against a rubber bumper all the way round to the other side of the car.
In the bottom is the drain hole mentioned earlier, towards the front.

My actual leak was probably due to the holes being partly blocked with these rubber wipers, but because this rain tray is fastened to the inside of the quarter panels with two screws each side. One was missing allowing the tray to move away (inboard) from the inner of the rear wing. The small gap lets water behind and its then righ intop the boot.

Im going to glue the wipers back on later, they are there to deflect some water and to stop debris like leaves getting into this drip tray I reckon.

So, have a feel or a look up underneath the black trim that goes all the way around the cars hood, one screw is near the door, the other about 10" aft of it, almost where the folded soft top begins to be firmly clamped to the car.

Mine was out to fit a new rear wing, so guess they lost this screw/popper.

Good luck, and if it wasnt for your post I wouldn't have bothered looking!
Old 09-08-2008, 10:06 AM

just so i get the right bit - wheres the drain hole?
looks like a rubber blanking grommet on that flat area - the drain hose is in the center of this?
i've also seen a 10mm bolt head down there too - looks parallel to the rubber blanking grommet, nearer the outside of the car. - i am looking in the right area, yes?

looks like a biatch to get to if so... theres certain a fair bit of crap down there.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:20 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When I get back home. if your still stuck Ill get the camera out mate.
Not sure you are in the right place.
The water 'bucket' behind the seats is bolted to the inner rear wing and the drain is down deep (roof folded away) between bristles and paintwork, about 8" down. Get a torch...
Old 09-10-2008, 11:24 PM

Cutting to the chase of a previous thread on the same topic:

1. use claw doofer to remove crap if poss
2. use stick to try to poke through drain tube
3. Use garage airline to blow stick, crap and stinky water back out of tube, by applying nozzle of air blow gun to end of tube underneath car...
4. Remove rest of crap, stick etc from drip tray, to prevent repeat performance.
Old 09-19-2008, 03:35 AM

found the little bugger

theres a bit rubber trim around the very top edge of the soft-top area (where the metal panel ends), and some plastic trim behind that.
somehow it popped out, and let water in between this plastic trim and the inner-side of the wing/sind panel.

im now leak free!!

Quick Reply: Leaky boot