UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Lift off oversteer

Old 07-18-2006, 07:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkB,Jul 18 2006, 03:23 PM
The rear wheels have their toe angle slightly adjusted by a tie bar, toeing in when the power is released gently and tucking the nose in, toeing out when the power is applied and making it feel like the front is understeering.

The stuff about smooth driving etc. is all correct, but in the case of the S2000, RWS can be expoited to exact a little more control during cornering.
Stop with the

Are you seriouslt suggesting to a newish user of this type of car that you should drive it on the road in a manner that allows you to exploit the 4WS to the full?

Or are you just bragging that you have the skill level to do this?
Old 07-18-2006, 08:07 AM

I can appreciate your frustraition Mark and I am well aware that the S2000 does have passive rear wheel steering but for the most part I find it difficult to notice the difference between the rear wheels steering and the rear wheels slipping. I can 'feel' the difference but on the basis that the S02s tend not to 'squeel' or make any noise when they slip its all the more difficult to know when the movement from the back is the RWS or tyre slip (unless the angle of movement makes it obvious).

I personally think its much more important for members with questions to have some understanding of the how's n' why's of vehicle movement (as it applies to all cars) than to know the in's and outs of the S2000s limited rear steering
Old 07-18-2006, 08:11 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Oh, FFS!

All you need to do is drive the car at a moderate speed round a big roundabout, with a constant lock. You can make tiny directional corrections, merely by slightly lifting, or slightly re-applying the power.

It's far tidier than wanking the steering wheel.

Once practised, it is useful in spirited driving.

You can feel through your inner ear the change in rear attitude as you do it.

All Hondas used to do it, to a degree.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:15 AM

My 2 peneth ,

Go into round abouts in 3rd and not second. Certainly in the wet pull away in 1st then go to 3rd, like most powerful RWD 2nd gear is the one that will allow u to over cook it all to easy and it all happens very fast with it. Hower in the dry this isnt as improtant.

3rd allows for a much larger headroom and will make for a far more controlled experience wet or dry which in turn makes it fun. This also means that you can keep the power on to exit at a higher speed in control.

Try it 2nite

Old 07-18-2006, 08:16 AM

I got confused trying to understand what the initial problem was here...

just in case I've got the right end of the stick, was Si2K asking about why the car steers in when you left off on a corner?

I'm sure someone else has explained dynamics, but yes absolutely it will do this, and it's not a problem; just make sure you enter the corner at the correct speed and don' tlift off part way through a corner (weight xfers to the front of the car, traction is lost, and it can all get quite messy). In fact I spent some time on Sunday with a police instructor, being shown how to use this to steer like a lazy man; i.e. steer with your foot not your hands - minimal steering input.

Take the S on the Academy Day and they will *make* you do this on purpose, then watch you spin

The thing is not to do it when it will unbalance the car i.e. half way around a corner. If you're having to lift off in a corner, then your entry speed is too high, so go in a bit slower.

I'm no expert by a long shot, but hope this helps
Old 07-18-2006, 08:18 AM

I can't say that I've practised that at moderate speed Nick. Generally I'm either driving normally or sliding the car about. I'll be sure and try and feel the effect you describe at lower speeds. My point simply was that at the edge of grip any movement in the vehicles line is more likely to be provoked by physics than RWS and I still stand by that statement. I also maintain it is important for people to understand why the vehicle moves in response to the throttle inputs. You'll note in this regard I don't think I have mentioned steering inputs at any point in my posts because I'm simply not referring to any form of steering the car.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:23 AM

On re-reading this:

Its a 2000 car and going around roundabouts etc. on the power, accelerating moderately the car starts to drift wide so you apply more lock, nice and confident cornering. Then when you lift off the power even just to maintain speed the car seems to bite in meaning you have to change your steering angle the same time as lifting off to avoid the line changing.
I would agree that the posters inputs are described as smooth and minimal enough to suggest what he is experiencing is RWS as opposed to lift-off induced traction loss.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:23 AM

[QUOTE=aldfort,Jul 18 2006, 03:54 PM]Stop with the
Old 07-18-2006, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy,Jul 18 2006, 04:23 PM
On re-reading this:

I would agree that the posters inputs are described as smooth and minimal enough to suggest what he is experiencing is RWS as opposed to lift-off induced traction loss.
**** me - at last!
Old 07-18-2006, 08:25 AM

I was simply saying that what he was experiencing was not anything approaching a loss of traction, like Hero Boy was suggesting.
Your attitude and remarks (about me) are not in keeping with the character of the board. Perhaps you'd be happier explaining these principles on barryboys?

Quick Reply: Lift off oversteer