UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Long Term S2000?

Old 07-10-2001, 04:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Long Term S2000?

Just wondered how many of you out there are planning to REALLY hang on to your S2000.

I put a whole wodge of dough down on mine so I only have a small amount of finance which I took over three years. That would seem the logical time to change I suppose. Then again given the fact that I only do about 8000 miles a year in it, does it make sense to change? Depreciation should have slowed by then I would think.What do you think? Is long term ownership of this car likely to prove overly expensive once the warranty has expired given the technology crammed into it?
Old 07-10-2001, 09:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent question Cedric, one which I have been asking myself also.
I have been seriously thinking about keeping this car for many years to come, eventually only running it for weekend pleasure driving.
Having it from new and looking after it as well as I can should help to keep it nice for many years to come.
I am lucky enough to have paid cash for the car so I only have day to day running costs to worry about.
The only problem is that when they release a newer model with those better extras and an amazing paint colour, it will be hard not to get one.
Depreciation should not be too bad for this car after the initial three years, as they are rare enough to command a reasonable price.
Just my thoughts
Old 07-10-2001, 01:42 PM

My wifes just announced she's expecting our 2nd child and my first response was 'there no way i'm getting rid of the car!'
, at the moment me and my daughter (4) have exclusive rights to the S2000 and as she says to the wife 'you'll have to go in the boot'

I'll keep mine as long as it keeps me interested, normally my cars have a llifespan between 3 and 12 months but somehow I think the S2000 will deviate from the norm!
Old 07-10-2001, 02:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

UK Jasonm

Oh.. Oh... The glass is clearing..... I see visions of........it's ....... an........IMPREZA!!!!!

Remember where you heard it
Old 07-10-2001, 10:28 PM

Last weekend I was offered what I paid for my car 10 months ago. I thought long and hard (I do get bored of my cars quickly). I couldn't think of a car I'd want to swap it for (well OK my wife's Impreza - she doesn't let me have it very often - not a looker but they bloody go).

I went out in a TVR Tuscan to "have a look". Feels huge. Awesome power. Horrible darty steering (OK for track but a pain on the road). Shift lights are a novelty.

Until the more powerful Boxster comes out next year, I'm not sure there's much on offer after the S2K....

Have a go in a P1 or an EVO. It's like the old Mad Max film where he switches on the supercharger and the whole world blurs. You may need to take your G suit along and make sure you've not eaten
Old 07-10-2001, 11:15 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Cedric Tomkinson
[B]UK Jasonm

Oh.. Oh... The glass is clearing..... I see visions of........it's
Old 07-11-2001, 09:27 AM

depends what you want it for really doesn't it? if it's road + track, or just road, the s2k's a good compromise. If you just want a track day car, and you have something else for summer weekends, you could do worse than ditch the honda, pick up a cat superlight r and spend the change on a set of slicks.....

s
Old 07-11-2001, 10:07 AM

I drove XJ-S's continuously from 1973 until last year, about 9 all told, some good, some bloody awful (the earlier ones) but I couldn't think of any car I would enjoy more - and I didn't want German.

Then along came the s2k, and it was no contest. Now had mine a year, about 11500 miles, and never bored. Still cannot persuade my better half to have the hood down, but one day........

Will probably keep mine 2-3 years then change for a new one, new colour, new gizmos. Reckon very little depreciation, they are still so rare over here.

But who was the silver/black driving up East Heath Road, Hampstead, about 8.30 this morning??

Old 07-12-2001, 04:18 AM
UK Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As they say.....

Till death do us part !!!

(unless it's written off)
Old 07-13-2001, 10:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I plan to keep my S2000 as long as possible. I've had it since September 1999 and have done only 5000 miles & 3 track days.
Just drive it at weekends and in nice weather (hence the low mileage). Only had the top up a few times.
If I sold it some bugger would get an amazing deal - no marks - no wet weather driving (just once actually). Pretty much showroom condition apart from the tyres
BUT there is a baby on the way (22nd August) so I have had to re-evaluate things.
Decided that I enjoy driving it so much that my daily mule (old Civic) would be retired first as it costs almost as much as the S to insure despite being almost worthless.
So I hope to keep my S2000 as long as possible. So far no need to change the gearbox or clutch despite having one of the very first non-press UK cars.

Quick Reply: Long Term S2000?