UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Loose rear numberplate surround

Old 04-14-2014, 04:27 AM
PJD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Loose rear numberplate surround

I have a UK 2004 AP2, the rear numberplate surround is loose, looks a mess and is annoying me! What are my options here? Anyone know of a quick fix? I suspect one of the fixings somewhere is broken, so wondering whether i need a new surround....
Old 04-14-2014, 04:31 AM

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

I think it's quite a pricey fix for the replacement surround, rusty mounting plate + brackets etc. Someone suggested that a good way forward was bonding it to the rest of the bumper with Sikaflex or similar - I think that's proabably your best bet.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, the new bracketry from Honda is quite expensive (surprise, surprise) for the numberplate recess.

Best bet is to bond it into place, or failing that, get some replacement pieces fabricated locally by a handy metal-working man of some sorts. Or lady.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:06 AM
PJD

Thanks guys, bonding seems like the best option, - I thought this might be the case but didnt really know what type of stuff to use - cheers.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:00 AM

I had the exact same issue with my plate recess, Honda quoted me something like £190 for new recess & forg light brackets.. Eye watering!

Took the bumper off and down to the local bodyshop, then bonded the recess in and machine polished the bumper for £20
Old 04-14-2014, 07:37 AM
PJD

Is it neccessary to remove the rear bumper to do this?
Old 04-14-2014, 07:48 AM

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

Yes, quite an easy job, so don't fear it - trickiest bit is disconnecting the lighting loom whilst not letting go of the bumper, so an assistant might be useful at that point
Old 04-14-2014, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by PJD
Is it neccessary to remove the rear bumper to do this?
It will help a lot ,but you could probably struggle by with it still attached. I removed it so i could get to all the rotten screws and remove all the knackered metal work.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi mate

I recently fitted an exhaust blanking cap for my single exit so I know exactly what you are talking about as mine was loose.

I removed my rear bumper - very easy 3 clips by the boot 2 screws (one each side and one bolt each side holding it to the rear quarter.)

Remove the electrical clips for fog light and the rear number plate lights. also remember the 2 bolts on the under side!

Once removed my first piece of advice is to replace the number plate bulbs as they are only accessible when the bumper is removed (well as far as I could tell).

If you look at the back of the bumper (not the side which is always visible). You will see that the number plate surround is encased with some metal support brackets. what you will find is that these have rusted away and have failed - the bottom one is the one which suffers the most as it is in the high impact area.

Using a screw driver remove all the metal brackets and paint using rust protector. My bottom bracket was completely rotten so I binned it. I only used the two side brackets with a little rust protection on them.

I then found that the upper part of the surround was very loose and realised that two screws that hold it to the bumper by the plate lights were missing, and from the looks of things had never been installed. used three screw (centre and either side) screws to secure it all back together. reattached metal brackets to sides and now it is tight as your sister fanny.

Make sure to secure the top of the plate holder first, there are 3 holes which need to be aligned and its much harder with the brackets installed.

Sorry my English is awful, the above is what I did about 2 weeks ago

HTH

Mike

PS any questions please ask.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:59 AM
PJD

Fantastic info - thanks so much for taking the time to share your recent experience, I think I may well be referring back to this when I give it a go

I will have a root around and see if I can do the job without removal, but I suspect it'll be a much cleaner job if i remove the bumper, i've done the front one before with the help of a mate and that wasn't too difficult - just sounds worse than it actually was

Great help here, - thanks very much all - appreciated

Quick Reply: Loose rear numberplate surround