UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Lost big time on the M20 - how about you guys ?

Old 01-28-2003, 03:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wondered if anyone else has been 'hammered' - for want of a better word - by any other cars on the road...and actually quite enjoyed the experience !

I was on the M20 last weekend and had a Porsche 911 (new one as I had overtaken him and had a good look - from my limited knowledge of them it looked like a GT3 / Turbo)...I was in the outside lane doing 90 and had to slow down for the car in front. I noticed that the Porsche was behind me so put it in fourth (at about 70) and waited for the car in front to move over. When he did I nailed it upto 9000 rpm and pulled into the second lane. I admit I then let off rather than change to fifth and keep going (I value my licence) and looked in my rear view to see if he was playing but could not see him - about a second later he flew past me on the right and just kept going and going like I had put the handbrake on.

Geee....that was one fast car.

Anyone else had a go and lost out ??
Old 01-28-2003, 03:18 AM

Lotusman
From the title I thought you meant you were lost.

I get this sometimes with bikes at traffi lights. They scream off as the lights change, but instead of looking forward they look over there shoulder to see if I am giving chase. Needless to say I don't attempt to keep up for fear of breaking the speed limit . But I do enjoy the fact they think I can keep up
Old 01-28-2003, 03:19 AM

Originally posted by Lotusman
Anyone else had a god and lost out ??
In my view, there's much to recommend atheism - if you don't have a god, there's no risk of losing out.........

I'll get my coat.

Before I do, I'll admit to a similar kind of experience as Lotusman, getting left for dead by some manner of 911 (looked to my untutored eye like a Carrera 4S, but I could have been wrong).

I did have a little tussle with a bright red LHD Ferrari (again, not sure what marque - think it was a 348. I got close enough to see that it was a 34-something) last weekend on the M60 though. I pulled over to let him come past, so I could have a listen to the engine tone. He put his foot down to make a point, so I pulled back into the outside lane behind him, dropped it to 4th and made a pretty good fist of keeping up with him. I doubt he was giving it 100%, not least since there was a reasonable amount of traffic on the road, but I was keeping pace with him (albeit not gaining much).
Old 01-28-2003, 03:31 AM
Ade

Originally posted by Lotusman
Anyone else had a go and lost out ??
I took on an NSX coming out of some roadworks on the M6, we were accelerating from about 40 up to 90. I lost all of about a length on him. For about
Old 01-28-2003, 03:33 AM

Same as Lotus man.

Coming of the round about at the bottom of the M20 and could see a porker behind me.
Foot down all through the gears even sixth.
I would say neck and neck up to 99 kmp but then looked over my shoulder and could see him smiling then was completely abused as he just went.

911 GT3, very funny colour orange or something like that and followed in to leverstock green. I wounder if it was the same one.
Old 01-28-2003, 03:34 AM

Sometimes you can surpise yourself though - when I had my 160 Elise I had a great race with a Ferrari 355 along Docklands - there was no room to do more that 85 - 90 but lots of roundabouts and lots of 20 - 80 stretches where the Elise is great.

On every roundabout I closed on him and on the straights he probably only pulled about 15 yards....was he trying....believe me, if not then there was something wrong with his engine cos the noise was immense. The one thing I won't forget about the race was the noise...keeping up was good..but the sound from the Ferrari was to die for !
Old 01-28-2003, 03:40 AM

in my M3 had 'a go' with a new 996 Turbo......no chance, those cars are quick, the mid range was frankly awesome and the way there was no squat under power he either wasn't actually trying very hard or very firm suspension

In the S2000 tried keeping up with a F355 and decided I was being a little silly so gave up but.....it did provoke some very nice blipping on the down change from it but could have been the F1 'box as it was sooooo slickly done
Old 01-28-2003, 03:43 AM

The only time I've ever really road raced was going up the last hill to the Glenshee ski slopes.

I'd got the drop on my protaganist coming out the corner at the bottom of the hill and pulled out to overtake, when he accelerated to stop me going by -

I knew the cars were pretty evenly matched but I had more bodies in mine - it was going to be a real trial of traction v. power-to-weight ratio.

Well it was pretty touch and go, but in the end I won

The cars - Mini 1000 (me) v. Morris Minor 1000

The speed - not telling, but I won when my passenger got out and pushed
Old 01-28-2003, 04:03 AM

Nobody will ever race me

I have even taken to waving and shouting things about their mothers to Boxter drivers.......................and still nothing!!

I did get really nailed once in the old MGF we had, by an Impetza WRX. Thought I might as well go out in style and have a try from the lights......you never know......he might have missed a gear change........or had a heart attack!!!!.....

Needless to say he played with me, rather like a cat does with a mouse..................before he kills it!

PS of course we only raced up to 60mph in a national speed-limit, on a school day, did not cause excessive pollution and drove sensibly at 60mph for the rest of the journey where permitted.

Edd
Old 01-28-2003, 04:09 AM

MGF's are soooo slow though you were bound to get your @rse whipped in an MGF

good laugh though in my Corolla hack I do enjoy seeing how slow it is and how badly it goes round corners compared to just about anything on the road

Quick Reply: Lost big time on the M20 - how about you guys ?