UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Lost Fifth Gear today!?

Old 10-07-2010, 06:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost Fifth Gear today!?

Hi Guys

Driving along today, a steady slow motorway stint to London followed by about 40mins worth of slow stop/start rush hour driving. The traffic eased a little, enough to use 5th gear at least... but it won’t engage.

All other gears are fine, but fifth gear won’t work. Can’t get the gear to engage despite all my best efforts. l parked up for a few hours hoping it would cure itself, but no joy either.

Had a search on here and found one or two others mentioning similar problems with fifth gear, Synchromesh being the culprit.

Would you agree it’s my Synchromesh that’s failed/causing the problem?

Could it be something else?

If it is the Synchromesh, what’s the repair job entail and how much might it cost?
(Also what would cause it to fail?)

It will be weeks before TGM can fit me in so I thought I’d ask you guys for your diagnosis first!

Thanks in advance

Iwan
Old 10-07-2010, 07:03 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

It's more likely to be the reverse gear lockout pin that's gone dry. Try another search.

Synchro failure's more likely to cause crunching and you'd be able to find it when stationary.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:46 AM

I had the TSM update carried out by Rob @ Garage-R - removal and regrease of the shifter plus checking the bolts and it had no effect.

Reverse gear lockout may be worth investigating.

Don't try too hard to get it into gear - you'll struggle equally to get it out again!
Old 10-07-2010, 08:29 AM

Did you perform a mischange (crunch gears) recently?
Old 10-07-2010, 08:32 AM

this happened to me, but it only lasted for a couple of days, then fifith re-engaged. i was on the way to the garage at the time too. i am pretty sure they thought i just couldnt drive properly when i let them take a look at it ayway! its never been a problem since so maybe they were right!
Old 10-07-2010, 09:00 AM

Not crunched the gears recently... or much ever really.

When I tried to engage 5th it crunched so I dipped the clutch, this was the first I knew of the problem.

Since then Ive tried numerous times & ways to get 5th. It feels clunky when I try to pop in 5th as thought something is partly blocking the gaiter. With a little pressure/persistance it moves up its alloted slot, but never feels right. (like its not slotted in, just sitting a bit short). This is with both engine running and off.

On about two occassions I thought it may have finally engaged/slotted so I gingerly engaged the clutch and had to dip immediatley it as it would graunch.

Since the proplem occured only once did 5th work, but it then stopped 6th working!? Stirred the box, tried again and it was back to 5th being unavailable whilst 6th was fine.

Im hoping that just like Arab's car, mine fixes itself!

Thanks for the help guys
Old 10-07-2010, 12:33 PM

Received 250 Likes on 215 Posts

Had this problem with some other car, bolts retaining gearlever had come loose, tightened retaining bolts all then ok, anything like this under the gaiter on the s?
Old 10-07-2010, 12:42 PM

Sounds like shifter fork is bent, if it's only synchros you can still get into it with double clutch.

Reverse is next to 1st so I don't think is related.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:51 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Dixon Motorsports,Oct 7 2010, 09:42 PM
Sounds like shifter fork is bent, if it's only synchros you can still get into it with double clutch.
:dingding:

Or gently slam it in 5th .
Old 10-07-2010, 01:26 PM

The crunch is the surefire sign of it which is why I asked

Use a bit of he-man and force it in - it'll go.

Quick Reply: Lost Fifth Gear today!?