UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Major oil problem

Old 09-09-2007, 03:14 AM

Received 70 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by markwneale,Sep 9 2007, 10:10 AM

And to go back to a crucial point raised by an earlier poster, why- when the car is under warranty - piss about fitting a non-Honda oil filter by a non-Honda technician?

Mahle make pistons,very good ones at that.
They do not make oil filters.
I suspect that these are only branded items supplied by a third party and branded by Mahle to cash in on their reputation. Nothing wrong with that of course if it is a good quality product.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Heinz '57,Sep 9 2007, 11:14 AM
Mahle make pistons,very good ones at that.

We've used them in the past and had very little in the way of problems with them
Old 09-09-2007, 05:30 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Like many things German, Mahle has become a premium brand & for good reason.

Mahle oil filters is like JCB sunglasses, or Ferrari condoms or something else a marketing dweeb dreamt up; utterly irrelevant to their expertise.

I agree with FN; there is probably a harmonic at high RPM (it's usually the front end of a four-banger that gets the up & down & rotational [aka primary & secondary moments] the worst) that shakes the oil fillters to death. The balancer shafts would go below/level with the oil filter & above at the opposite side, if it had any.

Honda put the oil filter in the ideal place for maintenance but possibly the worst place for vibration.

The failed oil filter requires careful inspection; certainly it's only decent to inform Mahle if their product is inferior to a Japanese one.

Old 09-09-2007, 05:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was thinking more oil pressure related deformation of the casing but yes very possible it's vibration related too. If the casing itself isn't deformed I'd go down the vibration route.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:40 AM

I see what you mean; it's entirely possible that the VTEC valve closing would cause a back-pressure wave (it's very close to the filter, so not much room for dispersal) that could stress an oil filter not specifically calculated for it.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think what I did wrong with my one was using a chain wrench to tighten it up, which probably damaged it slightly. It was absolutely fine for about 3 weeks; then I went to Donington and it started to leak. Fortunately somebody noticed the oil spot under my car and told me before I'd lost much.

Nothing looked wrong once I'd taken it off, but as I used the same wrench to get it off I couldn't really tell if it was damaged before hand.

What Mr Fluffy says about oil pressure at high revs deforming it further makes sense.

Ironically I'd bet I would have been fine if I hadn't listened to all the warnings about not doing it hand tight. Not that I'm suggesting that's a good idea.

I wonder what type of wrench Chris used on these two?
Old 09-09-2007, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when i used to work on vehicles all the fitters had snap on strap type filter wrenches. This is a very strong canvas like material about 2 inches wide fixed at one end to a socket looking arrangement and a slot on one side for the loose end to be passed through. so you wrap it around the filter and you can use a ratchet or bar (Torque wrench) to tighten filters.
Tried this link but doesnt show the type i meant (its the first on the list with no pic !)
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/tools.asp?t...re=snapon-store

Your right the chain type ones are only for getting them off Not for putting them on again.
As you can see from the above link, most fitters would have to have at least two or three different types of filter wrench to enable easy access to most jobs.
The unusual thing here is that most filters do only require hand tightening, i have only seen oil filter probs on a hand full of occasions and yet on here there are two or more in a week ! But I would think you only have to think of the revs the S is capable of, the vibration and surge of pressure that would create, to see why they recomend what would normally be over tightening.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:16 AM

Why does no-one use the plastic Honda tool?

It's merely a sleeve that fits over the filter, increasing its virtual diameter.
Old 09-09-2007, 12:38 PM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Dembo - you seem to be doing well at overtightening things

Id agree with the pressure and vibration issues. Vibration is always going to be an issue when its mounted on the block, and in that plane.

Lets get some pics up
Old 09-09-2007, 12:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by markwneale,Sep 9 2007, 02:10 AM
And to go back to a crucial point raised by an earlier poster, why- when the car is under warranty - piss about fitting a non-Honda oil filter by a non-Honda technician?
Agreed entirely. Especially an engine-critical part which could be used to justify non-payment of a normally warranteed fix.

...just asking for trouble, no offence to OP...

Quick Reply: Major oil problem