UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

mase turbo kit or tts supercharger kit

Old 08-06-2011, 01:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mase turbo kit or tts supercharger kit

ok guys,im hopeing you can help me decide which route im going to take reower hike.i have recently bought an 04 s2000 and had my heart set on buying the tts supercharger kit(stage 2).but then i came across the mase turbo conversions,and to be honest i was very impressed not only with the bhp claims but the actuall appearence/fit of the kit.
now heres the thing,ive had big boosted turbo cars all my life(only ever owned 1 n/a car before the s2k)and i love the kick of a turbo.but i have never been in a big bhp supercharged car,whats it like in comparision to the turbo car.also does anyone have the mase kit fitted to there s2k here in the uk??or who has the tts kit fitted?pro & cons?

thanks steve
Old 08-06-2011, 01:48 AM

The Rotrex gives a nice linear power delivery so the engine keeps it's characteristics, it's just got more. Imagine taking the standard engine output but at 3000 rpm less so at 6k your making the same as 9k on the na engine and after 6 and up to 9 it's got another 130 HP to play with, some don't like the jet whine of the SC but I loved it.
Can't say much about turbo other than under bonnet temps can be an issue
Old 08-06-2011, 01:52 AM

Received 625 Likes on 546 Posts

the general consensus seems to be supercharger is best. currently considering this but may decide to go and buy an SC Exige instead as my S is quite old now
Old 08-06-2011, 02:05 AM

We have actually worked on the Mase kit, TTS SC Kit and CT SC kit.

If you want high power the mase kit is the one to go for but how long will the engine last I don't know. I never really like the idea of high compression boost engine.

TTS and CT Kit made exactly the same power at 10psi, we have just mapped a TTS one 2 days ago and got 380.6bhp at 8800rpm/230ft/lb torque/7500rpm

Which is exact same power to the CT engineering kit when we were running 10psi.

Not sure if you have seen this a few months back in the magazine - http://www.dmsracingltd.co.uk/news/o...re/2011/05/20/

This was running CT Engineering kit with the upgraded 11psi pulley and just got 405bhp at the fly.

Main different between turbo and SC, is you don't get that turbo rush kick, SC is drive more like NA with loads of torque and quick throttle respond

The different between TTS and CT kit is TTS use intercooler and run with open filter which we saw 20bhp drop after just 2 runs because of the intake air temp raise 20 degrees which shows in the datalog with the Flash Pro ECU we were using to map. CT kit comes with Charge cooler standard and you can even upgrade to a bigger charge cooler and also comes with close carbon air box for cold air intake. Thats what keep the consistency with the power output. CT kit might be a few pounds heavier because of the water in the charge cooler system but without BHP dropping even when pushing hard. Plus the CT kit don't need a lot of space in front of the front bumper for the intercooler so you have a lot more space for your oil cooler and better air flow to the radiator.

Hope those info help

Dixon
Old 08-06-2011, 02:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Turbo all the way! Much more power and torque. And if you want more low end, quick spool and throttle response just look toward a twin scroll set up or a smaller snail.

Not sure what you mean about a boosted hight compression engine with regard to the turbo Dixon. Both SCa and turbo are boosted forms of forced induction. A higher compression motor will run better off boost and require less boost pressure to make good power. At the end of the day higher compression is like running more boost.

I think the main question here is with either set up purchased and fitted who will be doing the mapping. The key to success and long engine life is the quality and knowledge that the mapper uses to create a safe operating environment. The only downside I see to the turbo is higher heat generation. This can be controlled again by cleaver mapping and the knowledge to keep cylinder pressures as low as possible.
Old 08-06-2011, 02:48 AM

Well I never into the idea of turbo S2000 as I don't like the slow throttle respond and It is a lot more difficult to control the heat with the turbo setup. But yeah twin scroll setup should get rid of the lag and nice to drive for everyday use but you will lose abit of throttle respond compare to SC setup.
Old 08-06-2011, 03:03 AM

You wont even notice the lack in throttle response (with twin scroll) if there is even any and you'll gain a tonne of power and torque should you wish to turn the boost up. With an SC your limited to a set amount of boost pressure with the pully you have.
Old 08-06-2011, 03:09 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Dixon Motorsports
CT kit might be a few pounds heavier because of the water in the charge cooler system.
A few pounds!! .... around twice the weight IIRC and it is noticeable on the front of the car.

CT kit is old tech, Rotrex (TTS) SC or Mase Turbo all the way.

Old 08-06-2011, 04:43 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

There is no way i'd ever turbo an S2000 again, unless it's really well done in terms of heat management.

SC every time.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:26 AM

Scaremonger lol

Quick Reply: mase turbo kit or tts supercharger kit