UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Matt's S2K Project Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 11:57 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Had another busy evening with the S Feeling like I've made some seriously good progress this week! When I bought the car I knew that it needed some serious love, so this evening I put a second coat of silicone on the leak I identified:

I think water was running down that bit of seam, underneath the boot seal and then down into the boot! Following the orange rust trail certainly seems to suggest so...

Hopefully that leak won't be bothering me again! I've also sealed up the underneath, but couldnt get a clear picture of it.

After that, I went onto the interior. My gosh, did that need some love! The previous owner has been wearing denim in the car frequently I'd say, and has allowed a buildup of fibre to get ingrained into the carpet down the tran tunnel. Getting it out was a mission; and for anyone suffering the same issue you need:

1) Time
2) A stiff brush (similar to one youd use for boot polishing)
3) A strong hoover
4) Interior Citrus Cleaner
5) Microfibre

To clean it I first hoovered lightly over the top of what was there, then got the brush to work, loosening all the fibres on the surface. Another hoover and then I attacked it with the Citrus clearer to remove any dirt that had been left behind. Spray the cleaner on to the carpet, move the brush in circular motions and then blot off with your microfibre. Hoover again. Here's the results:

Before....

After! Colour looks a totally different colour.

I also did a little patch repair on the "S2000" logo on the original drivers matt:

Not perfect by any means, but certainly much better than what was there before. The carpets came up so well after I gave them the same treatment as the centre console!

A couple of other before / afters:

And this is the finished article:

So happy with how it's turned out! Getting more of a sense of pride about this car with every little task I get knocked off the list!
Old 03-24-2017, 12:13 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Good effort there. I would reconsider the whole silicone thing, it does look a bit Heath Robinson. It looks like the seam that you are trying to seal has a brown trace, what I would do is rake out the seam and derust where necessary then you can use proper seam sealer and paint when ready (like when you have the wing painted)
Old 03-24-2017, 03:47 PM

Hey Tozer, thanks for the reply!

I absolutely 100% agree with you; it looks shocking. Like a 5 year old did it! However, I really need the water to not leak into the boot anymore and I couldn't really justify getting the whole Bilt Hamber rust protection / prevention kit this month with the other service bits i've had to buy, plus having to get the tracking done in the next few days.

I will most certainly revisit it once I've got the other more pressing things done on the car first Fortunately, you cannot see any of the sealant when the boot is shut, and even when it's open it really doesn't catch your eye unless you're looking for it!

Thanks for your comments though, I really appreciate it!
Old 03-24-2017, 05:22 PM

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by tozerman
Good effort there. I would reconsider the whole silicone thing, it does look a bit Heath Robinson. It looks like the seam that you are trying to seal has a brown trace, what I would do is rake out the seam and derust where necessary then you can use proper seam sealer and paint when ready (like when you have the wing painted)
Agreed looks awful, needs to be revisted. Peace
Old 05-25-2017, 11:28 AM

Well, I haven't posted an update in forever...! To be fair, I've been far too busy doing things to my car

Where to start... I guess the first bit is I did a sound system upgrade; someone had already been in there before me and had put a £250 Alpine head unit in there.. But paired it with the CHEAPEST Fusion speakers you could ever hope to find.. They weighed about as much as a fag paper and one of them was blown. I replaced them with some temporary Fli 6.5" 3 way's... The sound was much improved! I also treated myself to an under seat sub, which I've neatly fitted under the passenger seat

That was over my birthday weekend. The weekend after was an extended bank holiday for me with a couple of days off either side. So I set to work on an OCD detailing session, which lasted almost 4 days!

I did a three stage correction which went all the way from compounding through to polishing and to say I was pleased with the results would be an understatement....

The paint looks and feels like glass now!

My calipers were in dire need of a refurb and were frankly disgusting:

Like most of the car the engine bay had been neglected for pretty much all of its life as well:

I popped a bit of the caliper paint on the rocker cover as a temporary measure.. But its actually turned out okay! I don't really have the cash to be spending on blinging the car up whilst it still need mechanical attention... So this may have to stay for a while!

A few weeks after I acquired some "new to me" clear repeaters.. These take years off the car in my opinion!

That's it for now - there's more but I managed to delete half my post i'd spent an hour writing and just had to quickly retype most of it!! Grrr. Next post: Japfest!

Last edited by Matt1783; 05-25-2017 at 11:37 AM.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:46 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

loving your work on this Matt - great to see her getting some TLC after years of neglect!
Old 07-28-2017, 03:04 AM

Thanks Andy :-) I've still got a long way to go. I also haven't updated the thread in forever and I've done so much work since... you've inspired me to amend that at the weekend
Old 03-28-2018, 01:38 AM

Urgh, I started this thread with the best of intentions but then got far too bogged down in having fun in my 'S! And then a massive change in life circumstances has meant I've not been around the forum anywhere near as much as i'd have wanted. In this time I have:

Added some sexy gunmetal wheels
Added an excessively loud exhaust
Fixed mechanical dohicky problems
Serviced my steed twice
Removed excessively loud exhaust
Fitted HKS Siltent Hi Power exhaust
Had Monsoon fit new red mohair hood

Some douche in a carpark put a large scrape in my rear quarter last week, so I need to get the polisher out and fix it. It's meant to be raining all week and weekend, so chances of that happening are slim and none. Hopefully be done in time for Japfest, which I've just booked on to.

In other more personal news, I have booked the 'S on to a Thruxton track day in April and applied for my National B race license - woo! Sorry for lack of pictures in update.
Old 03-28-2018, 02:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great job and amazing the difference a bit of elbow grease does to a car that someone obviously didn't care about.

If and when I need a new roof defo gonna go for a red one as well as I think they look great on the silver and moonrock cars.

Any chance of a picture with the new hood please mate.

Last edited by sZooo5; 03-28-2018 at 02:41 AM.