UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Medium-term conclusions on the 04.......

Old 06-02-2004, 07:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Medium-term conclusions on the 04.......

Now that a few of you have had the 04 for a few months, I just wondered what the opinions were now......particularly from those of you who can compare to the previous models.

Summary in terms of :

a) handling

b) gearbox

c) suspension/ride

d) interior

e) exterior

f) engine/power (expecting no change here!)

g) .....and for RichavUK, and MrchaV.......blingness/chavness (keep reasonably on topic lads, or the s2kicops will be after us!

Much obliged.....
Old 06-02-2004, 07:28 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you thinking of trading up to an '04? *

* you see, I occasionally do have a serious post to make.
Old 06-02-2004, 07:29 AM

Nope.......just interested.

pssst........when's the muppeting gonna start?
Old 06-02-2004, 07:50 AM

a) Hard to be sure, not least since my 02 was seriously compromised for a number of months before I p/x-ed it, but the 04 doesn't feel substantially different. If anything, the rear feels a bit harder to dislodge and a bit more predictable when you're approaching the oversteer limit. (I've not really pushed it that hard on more than a couple of occasions, TBH - on-road arse-end-out-ery isn't really my thing)

RE050s feel like a better proposition in the wet than the S02s ever did - could be all my imagination but they feel like they're shifting more water when driving in the wet and haven't given me any of the twitchy wet moments that the S02s did when "pushing on".

b) Gearbox is even slicker than the 02 one was - the improved carbon synchros, I'd guess.

c) Ride seems a bit harder, especially on roads with less-than-optimal surface quality and on country lanes - the steering can sometimes be prone to "jump around" when taking such roads at speed. Not really a problem though.

d) Interior changes are a matter of taste, I guess. I wasn't a huge fan of the 04 radio door before I took delivery of the new car but it has grown on me and I quite like it now. I much prefer the 04 console with the sliding door and the bigger cubby hole.

It's minor but I also now prefer the 04 steering wheel.

e) Exterior changes also a matter of personal taste. I like the re-styled front end and think it makes the car look a bit "meaner" - especially with the OEM chin spoiler.

I don't know how I ever lived with the 99-03 OEM 16" wheels, having now got used to the 17". They look SO much better IMHO. I'm tempted to get some lowered springs when I'm in the money though - the gap between wheel and arch is bigger than I'd like.

f) 04 engine uses bugger all oil (100ml in 6,000 miles for me - including copious amounts of VTEC-ing, before anyone suggests that the car hasn't been driven properly! ) but other than that no appreciable difference.

Would I upgrade from an 03 to an 04? Unless it was a comparatively small cost to change of maybe
Old 06-02-2004, 08:45 AM
GSi

What changed with the steering wheel Mark?
Old 06-02-2004, 08:50 AM

Originally posted by GSi
What changed with the steering wheel Mark?

I think they've got rid of the perforations.
Old 06-02-2004, 11:49 AM

Mine's a Canadian MY04 2.2, but hopefully of interest.

Summary in terms of :

a) handling

This has to be the biggest improvement overall.

The steering and feel of control is much better. On the 02, I sometimes felt that I had to "guess" how much steering input was required, whereas the 04 is much more linear and predictable. Consequently, it's more of a "science" when changing direction or adjusting - I feel safer at speed. Cornering grip is great (as was the 02), but I can feel more "give" before it wants to let go and therefore I am more confident knowing where the end point is likely to be . I prefer the new rubber (but I never rated the SO2 wet handling anyway)

b) gearbox

Gearchange is much smoother and the new ratios make it feel quicker of course.

c) suspension/ride

First impression was that it felt a bit harder and that my fillings might fall out, (but I had just changed from an 04 WRX on winter snow tyres). I travelled 3000 miles from Montreal to Vancouver and felt in very good health for 600 miles per day. You can definitely tour in it if you wish.

d) interior

I prefer the 02 dash display, but the clock is great to have. There is a "pimpled" rubber surround on the centre console around the gear lever, which looks tacky and picks up dirt very easily. The sliding silver cover and unit is good. Steering wheel is different, but feels fine (no preference). Extra elbow room is noticeable and the tweeters look tidier.

e) exterior

Front looks great as do the oval pipes, rear clusters and especially the wheels. The boot area still looks non-descript, but the 04 spoiler is horrendous. I had the glass windscreen on the 02 so I am used to the benefits.

f) engine/power (expecting no change here!)

2.2l VTEC (which has been dynoed at 260 bhp consistently) is great fun especially when combining it with the new gear ratios. I can pull from lower and consequently the 6000 rpm transition is not as dramatic - it just keeps going. The "back into the seat" feel is better. No oil use - can't believe it, but fuel economy is worse.

g) .....and for RichavUK, and MrchaV.......blingness/chavness (keep reasonably on topic lads, or the s2kicops will be after us!

It's a smart looking motor from the front with a recent comment saying it had a nice Italian touch to it. Can't see the Sopranos in it though ...

Would I recommend changing to an 04 if you have 00-03?
No point really. At the end of the day an S2000 is an S2000, although I think the 04 has been tweaked to get the most out of to date.

If you have an 00-01 and are looking to trade up you will notice differences, but won't disappointed ... especially if your name is Ianl.

Old 06-02-2004, 12:11 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dog Biscuit
Old 06-02-2004, 12:40 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bigfecker
Old 06-02-2004, 02:14 PM

Originally posted by Dog Biscuit
Mine's a Canadian MY04 2.2, but hopefully of interest.

http://gallery.s2ki.com/imagecatalog/image...eview/138972/6/
That is an amazing picture.....

Quick Reply: Medium-term conclusions on the 04.......