UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

"Mobile users better drivers: study"

Old 01-13-2004, 10:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default "Mobile users better drivers: study"

Someone give this woman a medal! ....

http://au.news.yahoo.com/040113/2/n9u5.html

Finally some sensible news on the subject of mobiles in cars.

- Adam.
Old 01-13-2004, 11:28 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

What a lot of

Every other survey has shown that it is more dangerous than drink driving.

She has obviously never driven in heavy traffic when cars mysteriously change lanes or forget to stop at lights and or crossings ....... and lo and behold the driver has a phone stuck to their ear.

Old 01-13-2004, 11:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The most dangerous thing on the road is two women in a car so one woman on a mobile phone is probably a significant improvement
Old 01-14-2004, 12:16 AM

Cr&p

As for this

"The VTI also conducted a smaller study on how people react to moving images like DVD films when they're driving"

Is that for real? Could explain a lot!
Old 01-14-2004, 12:46 AM

What a load of absolute bollocks.

It's bad enough when you're driving a car but these people are potentially lethal when you're on a bike.

The one thing I do agree with is that even using a hands free is distracting.
Old 01-14-2004, 01:11 AM

Using a mobile whilst driving is bad, but its not even in the same league as drink-driving. At least when using the phone you can still see properly. Were those surveys completed by BRAKE and the anti-motorist lobby?
Old 01-14-2004, 01:21 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

IIRC the survey said that someone who uses a mobile phone is *more than twice* as likely to be involved in an accident than someone who is over the leagal alchohol limit.

It also stated that someone using a hands free kit was also more likley to be involved in an accident than someone over the limit.

Like Welshman says ... if you rode a bike you would understand how dangerous it is.
Old 01-14-2004, 01:29 AM

[flamesuiton] Folks - it's a woman talking / reporting on driving, what did you honestly espect?

I also here form her that putting lipstick on whilst driving reduces the number of dolphins caught by tuna fisherman. [/flamesuiton]
Old 01-14-2004, 01:55 AM

I'm pretty sure all the tests and surveys showed a slowing in reaction time on the phone that was greater than that of drink drivers, not that they were more dangerous than driving drunk. The main danger in drunk driving is not a slower reaction time, but impaired judgement.

Personally, I believe hand held phones to be a huge distraction, because you can't hold it, talk, and control the car. Hands free kits are fine, and I don't have a problem when using either the full hands free kit I used to have, or the bluetooth headset I use now.
Old 01-14-2004, 02:10 AM

The main point I agree with in the report is that how can talking on a hands free kit (which there are also rumours of banning) be any more dangerous than holding a conversation with your passenger?

And don't get me started on people who smoke, shave, put on lipstick, squeeze spots, etc, etc. ....

Quick Reply: "Mobile users better drivers: study"