UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Most common roof failure location?

Old 10-09-2007, 02:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Most common roof failure location?

Hello All,

After finding my <1 year roof begining to wear above the drivers right shoulder, and after finding an easy fix to prevent further wear from this, I thought I better check where else I could get problems.

Didn't take much searching to suggest the next problem location is area where the rear wing meets the door (see the photos below).

I've seen many have tried to get the roof replaced under/out of warrenty and failed (the torn roof club thread), as always prevention is better than cure, but currently I do not see what the prevention may be.

Has Anyone:

1) Determined what is causeing the fault. Is it friction and mechanical wear? Does it happen when the roof is up or when the roof is down? Is it merely over stress from when the roof is up, is it fatigue from old age? Anyone has an answer i'd like to know?

2) Got suggestions for prevention?

Cheers for reading this boring post.

Ianl

PhenomS2K

DE Burr

SilverDreamRacer
Old 10-09-2007, 02:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm getting a new roof today just from the wear above the drivers shoulder.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:52 AM

Mine is going in the same place on one side only.

On the good side the fabric is looser so less stress on the seam.

I would guess the tear starts from one of the stitch holes and progresses from there, the tension on the seam and the continual folding of the material here when the roof goes up and down causing the failure.

It might be worth looking to see if it is possible to loosen the tension on this area but I think it is more due to the accuracy of the original stitching.

Frequent application of 303 on the area could help as it does seem to keep the vinyl in good condition and it is supposed to lessen the ageing effects of UV on plastics.

Might also be worth applying on the back side of the fabric for above reasons and to allow the material to slide more easily on the underlying support minimising the stress on the fabric.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:39 AM

Thanks for this GavB, it's really useful. In my experience, I noticed it happen when retracting the roof in relatively cold conditions. This possibly causes more stress in the area as it's a common problem that many roofs don't fully retract in such circumstances (and this is usually the case for me). However, I haven't fully investigated the mechanism yet.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:33 AM

Is the roof on the older cars better/different as most posts regarding wearing roofs seem to be 04 onwards?
Old 10-10-2007, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by JimUK,Oct 10 2007, 12:33 PM
Is the roof on the older cars better/different as most posts regarding wearing roofs seem to be 04 onwards?
Possibly change of manufacturing location? I know Honda moved production at some stage.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:56 AM

My dealer has broken some clips on the trim covering the roll bars when changing the roof

I'm slightly worried now.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by chilled,Oct 10 2007, 02:56 PM
My dealer has broken some clips on the trim covering the roll bars when changing the roof

I'm slightly worried now.
Did they try and split the roll hoop trim?
Old 10-10-2007, 08:30 AM

Yup

I've got it back, but some bits are on order to fix the roll bar trim.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:38 AM

Was it a good job apart from that?
I would check it all over for scratches to interior trim etc

I will be taking mine in soon and dread them making a hash of it.
The service manager said " Put if off as long as you can, they never go back right"
Not exactly confidence inspiring

I think I will print something out to give them with top of the list *Splitting roll bar trim is not acceptable.

Quick Reply: Most common roof failure location?