UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

MX-5 vs. S2000 - My experiences

Old 06-05-2013, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MX-5 vs. S2000 - My experiences

My previous car was a 2002 1.8i MX5 (LSD) and I have absolutely loved it! While I have always thought of the S2000 as "what the MX5 should have been", now I think it's a bit more complicated.
Pros:
- The S2000 has all the power the MX5 lacked, and never feels underpowered
- There is variable valve timing on the MX5, but this VTEC thing is just fantastic )
- The car is incredibly planted, with much less body roll compared to the MX5
- The rear yaws around when I want to (even at low speeds) and makes everything a lot more fun
- The whole car feels much much stiffer and rigid, a lot more precise the the MX5

Cons:
- As I have mentioned in an other thread, if I shift above 6000rpm from 1st to 2nd, the gearbox grinds and doesn't take the gear. I have to do it very slowly or double clutch (let's hope oil change will help this)
- The S2000 does not like casually drifting at all. While with the MX5 wet roundabouts (on private property ofc) were my playground, the S2000 is just not made for that. It snaps back very aggressively, I guess this is due to the 1 way diff opening up on lift off.
- While it is much easier to go very fast with the S2K, it does not at all stop any faster than the MX5. This was tricky in the first few days and took some time getting used to. The laws of physics can't be circumvented after all. It reminds me of the Ariel Atom which is quick as hell, but braking is mediocre and understeers like any other car if you go too fast into a corner.

Overall the S2000 is fantastic, but seem to require a lot of skill to be driven on its limits. Also,the VTEC noise/pull is very addictive and often tempts me to keep accelerating even when I shouldn't. I am not surprised that a lot of people put them into trees and ditches. The S2000 is definitely for adults, I wouldn't recommend it as a first car (not that it happens often.. ). The MX5 would make the ideal 1st car, no doubt about that!

I'm very happy with it, can't wait to track it!
Old 06-05-2013, 04:37 PM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I drove a new model MX5 on track recently, and was actually quite impressed. It was a bit wobbly but safe and predictable.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:07 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I've had similar experience, although having the two more superior models - I've had a mk1 1.8 import MX-5, and a mk3 2.0 Sport MX-5.

Originally Posted by Gabor
Cons:
- As I have mentioned in an other thread, if I shift above 6000rpm from 1st to 2nd, the gearbox grinds and doesn't take the gear. I have to do it very slowly or double clutch (let's hope oil change will help this)
- The S2000 does not like casually drifting at all. While with the MX5 wet roundabouts (on private property ofc) were my playground, the S2000 is just not made for that. It snaps back very aggressively, I guess this is due to the 1 way diff opening up on lift off.
- While it is much easier to go very fast with the S2K, it does not at all stop any faster than the MX5. This was tricky in the first few days and took some time getting used to. The laws of physics can't be circumvented after all. It reminds me of the Ariel Atom which is quick as hell, but braking is mediocre and understeers like any other car if you go too fast into a corner.
- Doesn't really count, as it's a maintenance issue as opposed to a feature of the car. The s2000 shift is far superior to all of the MX-5s.
- MX-5s can be drifted alll day long at any speed, S2000 is set up for grip - MX-5s were actually set up to have LESS grip, to invoke a slide. Check out Best Motoring International review the mk3 MX-5 sport where they put it against the S2000, RX8, MR2 etc, and you'll see they show this. Also, the engine layout on the S2000 has it slung behind the wheels rather than over it - someone once said think of an ice skater spinning with their arms out, then when they pull their arms in they spin faster - that's how it works with the S2000 and it's mid engine layout, it's a Front-MR car, rather than a FFRR like the MX-5.
- Brakes, I'd get yours looked at if I were you. All the S2000s I test drove had crap braking ability compared to my mk3 MX-5 sport. The S2000 I bought had shodding braking in comparison, so I knew something was up. Change the discs and pads and you'll see it brakes a lot, lot better than your 2.5 sport ever did.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a Mx5 before my S2000, I absolutely adored the Mx whereas im still trying to gel with the Honda.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:36 PM

The "cons" on your list are easily fixed.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My old integra DC5 had trouble going from 3rd to 4th in VTEC and it was due to my clutch needing replacing. After that it shifted fine in all gears.

The integra was a lovely car and I'd own another one some day but I wanted a soft top rear wheel drive again and now I adore the s2000. It's a keeper!
Old 06-05-2013, 11:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a few laps as a passenger in Paul Sheard Racings' MK3 around Oulton, was very impressed with the chuckability, it just lacked a bit of grunt up Clay Hill.

No engine mod's allowed in the Max5 series, just roll cages, tyres, and weight saving (which of course I ruined with my +80kgs)
Old 06-05-2013, 11:45 PM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by mr-pitts
I had a Mx5 before my S2000, I absolutely adored the Mx whereas im still trying to gel with the Honda.
To be fair, you need to drive it to get to grips with it lol
Old 06-05-2013, 11:50 PM

Hi Gabor

I had a Mk1 1.6 Miata prior to my S2000, the added grip in the Honda did take some getting used to, as I was used to sliding my MX5 round all over the place.

Reagrding your comment on braking in the S2000 I have just fitted a full set of RedStuff pads, along with new discs and Goodridge braided brake lines, Massive improvement on the braking. would highly reccommend!
Old 06-05-2013, 11:54 PM

the mx 5 looks crap in my eyes. I see them driving about always usually with a big exhaust. They look tacky and cheap in comparison to the s2000. The newer one looks better but fatter lol

Quick Reply: MX-5 vs. S2000 - My experiences