UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

my 1st s2000 (airbag dependant)

Old 02-23-2011, 07:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my 1st s2000 (airbag dependant)

hi all

im going to look at this s2000 at the weekend,

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/adv...age/1?logcode=p

but then something struck me. child seat!

ive spent about 20 mins searching the net to see if i can disable the airbag but seems to be alot of contradicting information.

apparently the AP2 from 2006 onward has an auto deactivate, but uk only has the AP1, is that correct?

ive also seen honda do a couple of child seats, which must mean its possible, or again is this just for the american market?

one of my boys is nearly 3 and dont think he'd appreciate not being able to travel in daddys new car.

the other one is only 6 months so would be in a rear facing seat, would be useful if this could be fitted too but not essential.

please help.

thanks
Old 02-23-2011, 07:26 AM

just found this too...

http://www.dft.gov.uk/think/focusareas/chi...dincar?page=FAQ

[QUOTE]10.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:28 AM
UK Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by homerjay,Feb 23 2011, 04:16 PM
hi all

ive spent about 20 mins searching the net to see if i can disable the airbag but seems to be alot of contradicting information.

apparently the AP2 from 2006 onward has an auto deactivate, but uk only has the AP1, is that correct?

ive also seen honda do a couple of child seats, which must mean its possible, or again is this just for the american market?

one of my boys is nearly 3 and dont think he'd appreciate not being able to travel in daddys new car.

the other one is only 6 months so would be in a rear facing seat, would be useful if this could be fitted too but not essential.

please help.

thanks
& welcome.

First thing is to have a read of the FAQs. A lot of your questions / queries will be dealt with in there + lots of useful info.

As far as I know, there is no switch to disable the passenger airbag. I know that some people wanted it done, and I think there was a mod that could be done, but the mod would be 'non Honda approved'. It would also cause a problem with car insurance if you were to have an accident, and your passenger was injured.

Due to this, you will find very few people in the UK who have disbaled their passenger airbag.

HTH
Bharat
Old 02-23-2011, 08:07 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by homerjay,Feb 23 2011, 08:16 AM
hi all

please help.

thanks
The three year old if he's tall (of of sufficent weight) enough for a (legal) booster seat facing forward is OK, unlikely.As for the six months kiddy, Honda in the user manual do not recomend it (actually disscourage it), if it is legal to dissable the air bag and fit a rear facing seat, I'm not sure, you will have to talk to the DVLA or police to find out.
We had quite a heated thread about this issue last year, my position is that Honda do not endorse youngsters traveling in the car so in the case of an accident that might be sited. Others argued dissabling the airbag and using a rear fasing seat is OK, but that means modifying the car to reduce the safety level, I'm sure your insurance company would have a view on that.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:07 AM

I haven't disabled my airbag and my 2year old loves going driving. I know this is fairly contentious as there was a thread on this a couple of months ago.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...ic=804633&st=0

As far as the law goes, you can use a front facing child seat with the airbag active. Whether you want to or not is up to you.

Edit: Should mention that if you use a f. facing child seat make sure the passenger seat is as far back as you can get it and if the child seat tilts make sure it is as upright as possible. The aim is to ensure the maximum distance between the airbag (if it goes off) and the child.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:13 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

And from that thread Honda recomends "nobody under twelve" and that WOULD be quoted in court. I would buy the S and get a banger to run around with the kids.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:02 AM

I hadn't notice the under 12 thing.

Do you think that is a coincidence that it is the same age that booster seats are not required?
Old 02-24-2011, 11:09 AM

thanks all. the under 12 thing is rather worrying.

anyway i went to see the car and it was immaculate, and i mean spotless.

58k and not a single mark on the bonnet, which kinda worried me.

do s2000's have exceptionally thick paint?

single owner, 4 services at honda, then 5th service had no stamp and 6th service (jan 10) had a small garage stamp.

disks were very rusty too, but that probably becuase its been standing for a good couple of months.

need to go and see another tomorrow but the child seat thing is could be a massive stopping point.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by homerjay,Feb 24 2011, 08:09 PM
do s2000's have exceptionally thick paint?
Old 02-24-2011, 11:21 AM

so has the car been REALLY well looked after or has it had a bonnet respray?

if the latter, should i be bothered.

Quick Reply: my 1st s2000 (airbag dependant)