UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

My Polybush nightmare....

Old 09-09-2009, 07:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Polybush nightmare....

So, I roll into WIM 45 minutes late on Tuesday morning as a result of me being a nonse at 7am with GPS and telling it to take me to North Weald Airfield (Car Limits) instead of Wheels in Motion. It clicks as I am on the last mile to my "Destination" as I think "I've seen this road before.......shit!"

New route goes in and I'm there. Told that the work is more than a day and will need it overnight...argh! Not ideal but ok, when it's done it's done.

Back wheels come off and nearside upper wishbone comes out. Oxyacetylene cutter sees some use and the old bushes are out..were off.

The next thing I hear is pretty concerning "They don't fit" not only do they not fit, but they are HUGELY undersized. The metal sheathing for the 12mm bolt is 15mm too short and there is a good 2-3mm space all around the bush when inserted into the wishbone.

"Perhaps they are in the wrong boxes" Much searching and looking around later this is not the case and I'm on the phone to Amber Performace who suggest lots but nothing seems right.

Amber Performance are back and forth between me and Powerflex, I'm relaying measurements and pictures and it is all very confusing. Consulting Honda Parts catalogues shows the part numbers for the bushes being identical throughout the years. Searches on Google and these forums shows nothing about these bushes and people are starting to wonder if my car suspension was modified, was it even the right wishbone etc etc.

BY this time Lovegroova has kindly come down with his car for comparison and in short, my 06 IS different. It is bigger, and is supposed to be. I speak with Paul at Powerflex who was very helpful and sent some accurate measurements of my wishbones. He had a dig around their place to find something suitable to get me out of a hole. After all, here I am Off-Island with a bushless wishbone and the prospect of buying a new OEM one which runs into 100s of pounds.

Lovegroova takes me down to Powerflex with the wishbone and I meet with Paul who modifys some different bushes to fit my car there and then. He takes the ones I got back and gives me the new ones.

We talked briefly about the issue and as a result of this I will be sending some info over to him so they can update their site/bushes accordingly. HE also says the method/materials for compliance bushes is in progress and hopefully out in November.

Back to WIM and the custom modified bushes go in the wishbone. Its tight getting it back into the chassi but it goes, and it works. Thank god for that!

Both rears are done and I get my car back for the evening, am able to attend the Surrey meet and return today to get the rest done, which went smoothly and without a hitch.

Just the rear uppers changed then.

Shame it had to happen to me as it meant I missed by Tangoman detail that was booked for today, Lee came down though and we checked the car and have arranged to do it Monday. After JAE but hey... shit happens. Best made plans and all that

Cant thank the guys at WIM enough for their hospitality and work. I as good as moved in using their PCs for research, office space for my luggage and other crap and workshop plugs to keep my phone juiced! The guys even offered to give me a lift to somewhere in Chesam to sleep should I not of got my car back that evening.

Also Lovegroova for ferrying me around and letting us measure up his car, no doubt I would of been screwed without him offering his help.

Paul at Powerflex was a star and put up with my non-technical mumbo jumbo on the phone trying to explain which bits I was measuring Also for taking my original powerflex bushings back and fabricating me custom fit ones at no charge.

Thanks to Tangoman for popping down and looking at my car with me and working out the details for getting the car detailed when we can.

All in all a rocky and stressful 2 days but with a good ending.

Had the car on the roads and words cannot describe how much better it is. Feels infinitely more planted and have far more confidence in the corners with it, especially on slightly bumpier tarmac.

Cliff Notes:

06+ S2000s have larger Upper Wishbone Bushes.
Powerflex are now aware but if you are getting bushes for your 06+ then check, check and check again that they are the right rear uppers.
Lovegroova, chaps at WIM, Tony at Powerflex and Lee save my ass from a roaring fire.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:35 AM

Are you planning to do the ARB's?

Rob (Garage R) mentioned to me that there is an issue with the ARB bushes too - powerflex only have one size (based on the older cars) and as we all know the ARB's on later cars are smaller

Old 09-09-2009, 08:37 AM

My ARB bushes looked fine, certainly not too big or too small by the looks of things.

Guys did not notice/comment on anything being off.

And yeah, as above - I did the ARBs.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess you are one of the first to do the bushes on a +04 car
I suspected they might be different as the revised the suspension from +04
Old 09-09-2009, 11:35 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

LG's car is an early one and the Honda wishbone parts numbers ARE different from the 04-on cars; even the wishbones that superficially look the same.

Chris Franklin pointed a couple of very minor differences out to me.

It may be Powerflex have, like Mikey say, not come across an "AP1 1/2" before...
Old 09-09-2009, 12:53 PM

Good that Powerflex are being so responsive given the number of changes that Honda have made over the years to confuse them.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:13 PM

Shame you had the problem, but very good of the companies concerned in trying to sort out your problems.

Especially good job by Powerflex for making custom parts there and then for you .
Old 09-10-2009, 12:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HE also says the method/materials for compliance bushes is in progress and hopefully out in November.
What still?
Old 09-10-2009, 03:39 AM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I didn't know Powerflex did ARB's bushes?! Are they the same as what whiltine provded with there uprated ARB's? If so has anyone bought any for Cusco ARB's? As I'm interested!
Old 09-10-2009, 03:48 AM
J_D

We found out the ARB powerflex issue at Garage R when we did mine. Powerflex only have sizes for 02 -03 , they wouldn't fit my MY99 because my ARB's were too big in diameter.

We sent off the new measurments of all the ARB's from 99 - 09 cars and powerflex still havn't sent me any, its been 3 months and they dont seem bothered, Im still running stock ARB bushes and Im getting pissed off .

Quick Reply: My Polybush nightmare....