UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

My S2000. From the start to where ever it is going to end up!

Old 10-29-2012, 04:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mattie170
Just seen you've got flash pro so it won't be that, but still need to check it with a boost gauge as I wouldn't trust what the ecu says
Ye, I think I need to get the boost gauge module ordered up. I'm wondering if this option was selected correctly on the flashpro and if not if it effects the psi the ecu shows??
http://www.hondata.com/help/flashpro...parameters.htm
Old 10-29-2012, 04:52 AM

Looks like you only have two options so even if it is out its not harmful to the car as the boost is fixed per rpm so it will be tuned to that fixed boost level. Just be nice to confirm what the boost is and if you do get a boost gauge you can see if the filter is getting dirty or if you start getting belt slip.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Boost only exists due to restrictions in airflow. So a restrictive exhaust may cause more boost but this boost wont free up power, boost is only so high due to the as the inlet vs exit differential.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by Si2k
Boost only exists due to restrictions in airflow. So a restrictive exhaust may cause more boost but this boost wont free up power, boost is only so high due to the as the inlet vs exit differential.
Romain was kind enough to just give me a call and said the exact same thing. He said a free flowing exhaust will give less boost. He said my setup seems to be flowing really well hence why we were able to get to a good figure of 427 before taking it back so it was a bit safer (in case v power is not available or there is a bad batch of fuel) and why the boost may only be showing as 11.

He took that reading from the dyno and also the ecu. He was saying ep3s and DC5s see about 10-15bhp more when they change the exhaust for a sports one with the Jackson supercharger kits but see the boost drop by about 2 psi for this exact reason.

I'm going to check to see if the restrictor is fitted when I get home tonight.

It's great learning all this stuff
Old 10-29-2012, 06:31 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Great fun & a nicely-modded car too!
Old 10-29-2012, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Earls_f20c
Thanks for posting mate, really interesting read.

And how bl00dy good do those MKI Golfs look? beautiful I want one NOW!
I'l always be a fan of mk1s. Here it is from the rear.

I had the black side trim all smoothed in and the rear smoothed with the number plate lights converted to tiny leds so they didn't hang down. It really neatened up the car.

My S2000. From the start to where ever it is going to end up!-ajtcb.jpg
Old 10-29-2012, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by razzele
Glad to hear its all up and running, 400+ bhp is soo much fun isn't it

I hope she stays together for you, I did manage 3k and two trackdays before I encountered my first technical difficulty. Keep am casting your eye over the top alternator bracket and the large bolt under the charger.

I agree with the nobmaster, vids or ban!!
It is so much fun

Thats not bad going really then if you did that before you had a problem. Thanks for the heads up, I keep meaning to phone TTS about one of the new stronger alternator brackets.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:57 AM

So my restrictor is 100% off of the super charger. Thanks for sending me a picture of it in your workshop Dixon

All hoses look tight as well, a few I could turn the heads about 1-2 turns to get them to really bite down.

So its a bit of a mystery why I see such little boost form the setup.
I'm not that fussed as the power is where I want it but I am curious.

Perhaps I get a smoke test done at some point? Any other ideas? Perhaps with my exhaust and the smaller diameter piping of the supersport kit this is really all I'm going to see.

If I do suddenly find more boost it would mean another mapping session though, and they aren't cheap anyway so I have no appetite for that at the minute.

I just wanted to say thanks to Romain, he really is a top guy. He was quite happy to talk me through everything to do with the tune and I have real faith in him now. He's also been really helpful post the tune with a few questions, and as I said even called today to talk about the boost questions I was having.

Chris at Dixons also is such a hard working guy, he really did put a lot of effort in to the install, even trimming and welding up my number plate thingy so it still fitted with all the intercooler so it looked like a proper job and not just taking a hack saw to it. Also raising the front of the car back up a little after the extra weight went in to maintain the ride height and redoing the geo after to make sure it was still spot on for no extra. Small things like that are what matters, its good to have expectations exceeded once in a while
Old 10-29-2012, 07:41 PM
MSC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great thread, great car, loving the apr wing!
Love the mk1 cab, had one as a hand me down from my mum when I was 18, brilliant cars, even the 1.6!
Old 11-01-2012, 02:19 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by zzkamikazezz
I'll get them up when I can but it all fell apart again. Silent videos with no obd or gps. I really can't be bothered with it all now, its more hassle than its worth.

I tested the mic the night before, found the lose connection and taped it up but on the day still no sound!
The obd/gps alaprecorder all screwed up again. I fudged it by loading a gps version of the track from previous visits and it said my best lap was 10 seconds a lap slower than my best when na??! I only got a few clear laps the whole day though and called it a day after just two sessions after lunch as I didn't want to push the car too much on its first outing.
You really should try with the Torque app. aLap is now so far behind it's not funny, especially the developer has disappeared.

My Camcorder + Torque for video and data + Racerender works superbly now. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...dsLnRvcnF1ZSJd

It also lets you do 0-60, 1/4 mile and various speed tests (40-60, 60-80, 60-120 etc) which would give you a really good idea of how much improvement mods make.

The free track recorder plug-in lets you do what aLap did (though not quite as slickly, but RaceRender makes up for that.

Hopefully we'll be on the same trackday at some point, and I can help out.

Quick Reply: My S2000. From the start to where ever it is going to end up!