UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Nürburgring in an S2000.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are you doing for insurance?
Old 06-22-2012, 10:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. Get a full face helmet, see the vid below as to why you would want to.

2. Whether or not you think you are insured you are NOT insured. If there is the phrase "prepared course" in your policy you are not covered. Drive it like a road, do a sighter lap first and drive carefully and you STILL might end up with a big bill. The risk these days is prohibitive.

3. If you do go on anyway, stay right, use your mirrors constantly and remember that cameras aren't allowed unless you hire an official one. Assuming the booth is open. You can however hide most cameras reasonably easy.

4. If it's wet, and it almost certainly will be at some point, the track is astonishingly slippery so if you do decide to go on stay off the racing line and take it very easy indeed.

However the place is fantastic, I love it. but I hire cars now as it covers the insurance problem.

Me in a hire Megane R26.R from RSR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cwej9lEjy3I

And the reason for a full face helmet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8FBxS-00xU
Old 06-22-2012, 11:17 AM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Just to add my 10p worth also, I agree about wearing a helmet, I wouldn't do a lap there without wearing one, my take though is to wear a full face one as I do, if you are unlucky enough to hit the armco it's all good and well having head protection but what about face/jaw ?
I was there in april and the weather was crap

on one lap I had dry,wet,sleet and snow

Be cafefull as it can end in tears as my mate found out back in April where he stuffed his mint 3 door cossie in the armco at Hohe Act.

In the risk of being called a picture whore here is one to wet your appetite

Anyway that's enough from me have fun and take care.

Cheers.....Tony..
Old 06-22-2012, 11:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd always wear a full face helmet now. I've done lots of trackdays with an open face helmet and even did the Ring last year with one for "comfort". The reality is if you are unfortunate to have a bad smash the full face will pay you back a million times over the open face as that clip hitting the dear proves.

The final straw was my mate who got knocked off his motorbike last year. Had he been wearing his usual "piss pot" (as he calls it!) he'd have lost his jaw. By pure chance he was wearing his full face. The damage sustained to the jaw area of the helmet was immense. Thankfully his head came out unscathed save cuts to his nose from the visor splitting which is more than can be said to his forearm

Hope you have a good trip at the ring. I'm hoping to return October 2013
Old 06-22-2012, 01:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to add, I'll be out there 28th Aug - 4th Sept, so if you need someone to take you around I'll be more than happy to show you around, or point you in the direction of a proper instructor if you need more than that. I'll be doing the ring in a Swift, a Caterham R300 and a push bike (for 24 hours)
Old 06-22-2012, 02:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are looking for a helmet the entry level OMP karting ones can be had for a good price from ebay. They meet the standard needed for all uk track days also, some sort of EU rating.

I measured my head and went for the recommended size based on that and it fits a treat.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh and if you can play the circuit on a computer game first. Yes it is nothing like driving it for real but it helps you learn the sequence of turns as there are so many, and as others have said watch.lots of vids.

I saw pistonheads posted a guide up.a week or so ago as well but it looked quite short.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:13 PM
Community Organizer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I saw pistonheads posted a guide up.a week or so ago as well but it looked quite short.
[/quote]

Do you have a link mate?
Old 06-22-2012, 03:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by zzkamikazezz
Oh and if you can play the circuit on a computer game first. Yes it is nothing like driving it for real but it helps you learn the sequence of turns as there are so many, and as others have said watch.lots of vids.
I'm not a gamer but I bought GT5 to learn the 'ring... I found it very useful.

On the helmet front, think about what else you might want to use it for; a new bike lid won't be eligible for sprints & hillclimbs or racing, some track day organisers require a full face lid for open cars (and you will want to have the top down on track), a karting lid is cheaper than a motorsports lid and would be fine for track days but probably not motorcycling etc. There's a Venn diagram of lid usage there.

I'd go full face (and have).
Old 06-22-2012, 04:31 PM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I found GT5 to be not very useful, until I came back and it's then very accurate, bar the elavations and cambers...

Quick Reply: Nürburgring in an S2000.