UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Need to try a sorted S2000

Old 04-03-2017, 12:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need to try a sorted S2000

Hello folks.

I've been veiwing a driving a number of available cars lately. I've been getting mixed emotions about making the leap from my fairly well sorted MX5.

I drove a cheap, tatty, rusty, cat D 05 plate 72k mile that felt strong, felt light on it's toes, had the air box lid off, so made the right noises. This made me want a clean one..... badly.
I drove an expensive 03 plate at a car supermarket in Stockport that was an utter turd. Then a very nice looking red 04 that's on eBay now, very nice mature chap with all sorts of toys in the garage, and who knew how to drive. But it had a nasty whirring noise from either clutch or gearbox, and a strange sucking noise in the engine bay so I walked away. Then, and this could be the one that got away. A 56 plate moonrock with red and black interior, awesome history, cat d for a scrap down the side that had been repaired so well I just couldn't see it. It was spot on in so many ways...... but It just didn't get the juices flowing. It felt a bit dull...... heavy even. It went ok I guess, geo had been done recently, but it left me cold.

So, I think I need to find a willing soul to take me out in a properly sorted example. I need a baseline to judge others. Or am I just kidding myself that it's possible to have the chuckability of the 5 with the soundtrack and extra ompf the F20c should bring? I'm not one to shy away from working the revs, so why has this really nice car at a bloomin great price not made me pull the trigger?

Anyone in the North West (Sons of Vtec land) want to show me why I still need an S2000?
Old 04-03-2017, 12:19 PM

PS I'm a fully insured, 40 something, professional type, and not interested in finding out about lows, BGW's, or how fast your pride and joy will go though a hedge exhaust tips first.
Old 04-03-2017, 12:19 PM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

They make a lot of noise from the secondary input shaft bearings - a few folk get them changed, notably quiet. Strange sucking noises from the engine bay is relatively normal on startup for a facelift, probably the secondary airpump running.
Old 04-03-2017, 12:43 PM

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Where in the NW are you?
Old 04-03-2017, 01:02 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

A trip with Robin will be entertaining and enlightening.
Old 04-03-2017, 06:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm near bury north of Manchester, I like to think mines in decent nick, but haven't driven another S to compare it to.
They do make a sucking noise upon start up as said above, is ceases after about a minute.
Old 04-04-2017, 12:06 AM

Thanks for the replies. I'm based near Chester, and my office is in Sale. I cover the whole of the North West for work so I'm really flexible on location.

Got a couple more I'd like to go see

honda s2000 2004-2005 facelift model new clutch just serviced | eBay

Excellent Honda S2000 Face-lift AP2 Modern Classic NOT Boxster Cayman SLK Type R | eBay
Old 04-04-2017, 12:16 AM

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

First one looks good, both have similar mileage - but the first seems more club enthusiast with his choice of upgrades and maintenance (eg.bushes) over the perfectly fine standard one.
Old 04-04-2017, 02:40 AM

Pretty facelift ones are a bit stiffer so feel lighter on Thier feet in the right hands!
Old 04-04-2017, 03:18 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Keyc-uk
Pretty facelift ones are a bit stiffer so feel lighter on Thier feet in the right hands!
I think you may be opening a can of worms there.
I have driven both and pre facelift cars feel different due to suspension variations but stiffness in the body must be the same as I understand nothing else was changed in the structure on the facelift version.
Happy to be corrected on this.

Quick Reply: Need to try a sorted S2000