UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Need to try a sorted S2000

Old 04-04-2017, 04:20 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Soggybottomboy
I think you may be opening a can of worms there.
I have driven both and pre facelift cars feel different due to suspension variations but stiffness in the body must be the same as I understand nothing else was changed in the structure on the facelift version.
Happy to be corrected on this.
The facelift chassis was indeed strengthened/stiffened.

You can see the differences in the different part diagrams (which can be found in post 2 of the FAQ).
Old 04-04-2017, 05:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by La Ray
Thanks for the replies. I'm based near Chester, and my office is in Sale. I cover the whole of the North West for work so I'm really flexible on location.

Got a couple more I'd like to go see

honda s2000 2004-2005 facelift model new clutch just serviced | eBay

Excellent Honda S2000 Face-lift AP2 Modern Classic NOT Boxster Cayman SLK Type R | eBay
​​​​​​​Wow are facelifts on that mileage really fetching 8.5k now? Admittedly I've not looked since the weather went nice again but that's crazy.
Old 04-04-2017, 06:12 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by lovegroova
The facelift chassis was indeed strengthened/stiffened.

You can see the differences in the different part diagrams (which can be found in post 2 of the FAQ).
I stand corrected 😊
Old 04-04-2017, 06:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Might also add that the suspension is firmer on pre facelift cars so really it's about personal choice drive both and choose one, i chose a lower mileage pre facelift because it felt a better car than the higher mileage facelift ones i drove
Old 04-05-2017, 10:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went to see the £8.5k one yesterday so thought I'd share my thoughts to help you out...

Mechanically it seems as good as he describes in the advert. The car pulls very well and he has receipts for all the work that's been carried out.

My issue with the car was that the wheels are kerbed to buggery, to the point where I think I'd be buying new ones rather than trying to get them refurbished. The front end has lots of stone chips, there's a couple of scrapes on the wing mirrors and it looks like it's had a very light rear end collision as the number plate surround has dropped (and is loose) and there's some cracks in the paint of the rear bumper. The drivers seat is a bit of a state; the bolster is very worn and there's a couple of small rips in the back. The roof is supposed ot have been replaced 24 months ago but I didn't think it looked as good as I'd expect a 2 year old roof to look.

Given if I'd bought it I'd have wanted to get the whole car sprayed and some new (or good condition replacement) wheels, I thought an offer of £7.5k was more than it was probably worth but I did like the colour and the idea of not having to worry about it mechanically for a while. At that price there was no interest, not even a counter offer. That makes me think the guy is set on selling it for £8.5k ovno.

If you don't care about the exterior condition then it's probably a sound buy, but I think it's way overpriced for what you're getting despite the work that's been done.

HTH
The following users liked this post:
La Ray (04-06-2017)
Old 04-06-2017, 12:57 AM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

^^^ rear number plate surrounds are bonk on S2000's. More often than not, the brackets are rotten causing them to droop.
Old 04-06-2017, 06:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Paint on the rear bumper was cracked though, it did look like a car had rolled into the back of it
Old 04-06-2017, 10:41 AM

Nice one Tross, Thanks for the heads up. I'm not expecting perfection, but I want something clean and in good fettle for my money.

To get this back on track a little. Anyone able to show me a sorted S2000?
Old 04-06-2017, 11:37 AM

Not being funny Tross but what are you expecting? Stone chips are absolutely inevitable on an s2000. The nose is long and low, the bumper is flat and the windscreen is pretty flat so its going to get a battering. Its a Honda that's 11 years old and being realistic Honda body work isn't exactly top notch. Drivers seats are going to take a hammering with the style of car it is.

I've just bought one and looked at a good few before I bought mine. The search reminded me of years ago when I was on the hunt for cosworths. Most are sheds, most are rotten, the ones with no issues with bodywork have been painted and could be hiding all kinds of issues. Personally i'd rather a few little issues here and there which to me points out an honest car that isn't hiding any issues.
Old 04-06-2017, 11:59 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by La Ray
Nice one Tross, Thanks for the heads up. I'm not expecting perfection, but I want something clean and in good fettle for my money.

To get this back on track a little. Anyone able to show me a sorted S2000?
What do you mean by sorted? Do you mean in a condition that's very original but good working order and drives as it left the factory or near enough with minimal wear..... or one that's had some ohlins or similar, chassis braces galore and drives like its on rails?

Quick Reply: Need to try a sorted S2000