UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

New Front Discs

Old 08-16-2007, 01:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DAmn i got a set of ebc front and rear waiting to be installed
Old 08-16-2007, 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by gaddafi,Aug 16 2007, 01:54 AM
The people that spend billions on R & D?

Oh I forgot, they only produce compromises, don't they?

Talk about fools and money; these threads crack me up

I would be kinda suprised if honda made their own discs...
Old 08-16-2007, 02:13 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Dembo,Aug 16 2007, 10:33 AM
Has anyone seen any independent tests of all these? The problem is *everybody* says their disks are designed to take extremes of heat, and *everybody* says their disks are designed with revolutionary cooling fins, so who do you believe?
I've not seen any other supplier supply their discs with heat paint already applied so that you can see what temperature the discs are getting to and tells you what the optimum working temperature range is for their discs.

I've also not seen any other supplier that recommends that their discs are used with performance pads because standard road pads are not up to withstanding the heat generated in track work and tells you in the literature supplied what sort of temperatures you can expect with different types of pads.

What i like about DBA is that they seem prepared to give you the information to make an informed decision when choosing a disc. Everyone else just says that their castings are the best or tries to make out that dimples in the disc actually do something and aren't just there for cosmetic reasons only etc.

I might be wrong, they may end up performing no better than the oems or brakes international etc. But the inital signs look good. Otherwise i wouldn't have spent 3-4 times the cost of a brakes international set.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:15 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Crispy Rice,Aug 16 2007, 10:04 AM
I would be kinda suprised if honda made their own discs...
or a lot of their components

but they spec them
Old 08-16-2007, 02:19 AM

[QUOTE=gaddafi,Aug 16 2007, 10:54 AM] The people that spend billions on R & D?

Oh I forgot, they only produce compromises, don't they?
Old 08-16-2007, 02:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gaddafi,Aug 16 2007, 11:15 AM
or a lot of their components

but they spec them
They're specced quite well. However I would be surprised if they were absolutely top end spec. Most things are built to a price.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by lower,Aug 16 2007, 10:19 AM
To be fair, we're talking about something working outside of the parameters that honda would have specified. So on that basis, its quite reasonable to assume that a company that only makes brake discs might well be able to develop a product that outperforms the OEM.
hmmm

trouble is that assumption is made in a context of a huge industry which makes money out of naive people who believe that mods=superior

and 'looks better'='performs better'

it's not difficult to drill holes in a piece of metal..........and re-package your product
Old 08-16-2007, 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by gaddafi,Aug 16 2007, 11:22 AM
hmmm

trouble is that assumption is made in a context of a huge industry which makes money out of naive people who believe that mods=superior

it's not difficult to drill holes in a piece of metal..........and re-package your product

But when a maufacturer produces specs they have to take into account the wide variations in the wants and needs of the general buyer, in addition to the cost argument which inevitably makes for compromise.

However when you restrict the design spec and stop trying to be all things to all men and are prepared to pay a bit more you inevitably have to opportunity to find/make improvements (if they are properly considered).

Remember, what one person percieves as an improvement can be a PITA to someone else.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:51 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Crotch Rocket,Aug 16 2007, 10:33 AM
But when a maufacturer produces specs they have to take into account the wide variations in the wants and needs of the general buyer, in addition to the cost argument which inevitably makes for compromise.

However when you restrict the design spec and stop trying to be all things to all men and are prepared to pay a bit more you inevitably have to opportunity to find/make improvements (if they are properly considered).
Sure, which generally (and pretty understandably) will not include track use. I, and think most people, find the S brakes superb for road use, not forgetting that other factors such as tyres and suspension condition, as well as technique, affect that performance.

I don't doubt for one minute that oem performance cannot be improved upon. My concern and scepticism is around whether many of the organisations that offer products claimed to be able to do this, are really selling snake oil to gullible punters.

As I said, drilling holes in metal really isn't very difficult. Any more than sewing 'Lacoste' on a quality seconds tee-shirt.

Old 08-16-2007, 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by gaddafi,Aug 16 2007, 11:22 AM
hmmm

agreed. A large portion of the mods industry is made up of companies that do make things that give no real world improvement in performance and only give a cosmetic or audible change.

Prime example of that are brake discs. There are numerous companies that take a standard product and drill holes or machine grooves to make it look different and the claim a performance improvement.

Then there are other companies, like discs brakes australia in this case who go to the effort of casting a brake disc from scratch with a completely different internal vane structure from anything else on the market and claim a performance improvement based on the physics of their design which they are prepared to back up with real figures.

Quick Reply: New Front Discs