UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

New to rear wheel drive!

Old 04-18-2004, 03:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to rear wheel drive!

Hello everyone.

I have just joined the wonderful world of the S2000.

I did have a Civic Type R, which I loved but I've wanted a S2000 for years and I was lucky enough to pick up a silver 04 about 2 weeks ago.

The reason for my post is (as well as saying hello), what is the best way to get used to rear wheel drive ? I have always had front wheel drive cars, and I want to get the best out of my S2000, but after reading some of the horror stories on here I'm just a little conscious of losing the back end. If it does start to slide, firstly I'm not sure how I would react and secondly, I don't really know what to do.

So please if anybody has any advice please let me know.

Also if anybody knows of any types of tracks or lessons that can be taken within 100 mile radius of the Leeds area that would be great.

Cheers Oliver
Old 04-18-2004, 03:18 AM

Knockhill in Edinburgh do on road driver training, Euan did this AFAIK

The best advice I can give you is to learn the car slowly. Be very wary of it in the wet, and stay off the power until the wheels are straight. Lifting off mid bend is also a

There are plenty of people on here who are better drivers than me who will give you good advice.
Old 04-18-2004, 03:18 AM

Logged in as Amanda That should have been from Neil_s2k!
Old 04-18-2004, 03:21 AM

Where abouts in Leeds are you? (don't answer this if you don't want to)

PS In case you didn't know Edinburgh is a little over 100 miles away!

Best advise, especially in weather like this is to drive like you have an egg under your right foot. You should be taking it easy for the first 1000 miles or so anyway.
Old 04-18-2004, 03:24 AM

But you guys keep telling me you're from the North

My mistake, Edinburgh is a bit further than 100 miles. Croft circuit may offer the same service.
Old 04-18-2004, 03:27 AM
ADP

Best thing to do imho opinion if things get "hairy" is NOT to over react - adding massive amounts of opposite lock Sega Rally style is not the answer and is more likely to get you into even worse trouble!!

If you do lose the back end, as I do intentionally most mornings coming out the road is to just lift off a little. A little opposite lock can be ok, but generally I dont find I need much at all.............You can lose the back end quite easily even at slow speeds, so it is worth imho having a bit of a play - if the conditions are OK (ie no people/cars/plenty of room etc etc)

Ofcourse big lifts at the wrong time are equally as bad. You may have tried to provoke the Civic on round abouts by giving a big lift to unsettle it...............go VERY easy doing this kind of trick in the S2K - it will produce results that you may not like. The car is best of driven by the book, ie brake on the straights, drive through the corners etc etc

Im sure other people will be able to make more points too, this is a usefull forum.............Ive had the car 6 months and compete regularly in sprints etc etc though not in the S (so consider myself an above average driver) but Im still learning the car
Old 04-18-2004, 03:29 AM

Welcome Brolly, and congrats on a sound choice of colour

Lazzer
Old 04-18-2004, 03:41 AM

Welcome to the world of real quality driving.
If you examine the list of proper quality cars, you will find they are ALL rear wheel drive. Think about it; RR/Bentley, Aston Martin, Ferrari, Porsche, Lambo, NSX, TVR, Mercedes, BMW, all the exotics etc. Front wheel drive is cheaper to make and is only for cheap cars.
You must learn to steer your car with the rear drive in conjunction with steering correction.
If your main concern of having the back end break out should occur, simply correct that by adjusting the power (can be more or less) and steering into the break-away direction as you regain control, probably with some opposite lock. If you are running the OE Bridgestone S02's, make sure they warm up before you get frisky, and be very careful in wet and cold with S02's.
Find somewhere quiet to practice RWD control and go to one or two of the track days and seek professional guidance if you feel it would help. You'll love it!
Old 04-18-2004, 03:42 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Welcome.

There are drivers who lose it and drivers who don't.

My recollection is that most of the former put the off down to 'inexplicable' reasons or unavoidable hazards like diesel or black ice.

IMO the overwhelming cause is simply driver error, best avoided through the tips already posted.

Everyone has their own view on driver training. As you will see. I always prefer to focus on preventing things happening, not the contingency, and I've managed to do this with the S without compromising my enjoyment of the car.

I don't think you need special training to drive this car fast safely.

My own tips (that I'd add to those posted) are:

Don't get enthusiastic before your tyres are warmed up (5 miles IMO).
Reduce your speed by a good third in damp or wet conditions.
Don't try and get on the power too early.
Keep the car balanced by minimising heavy braking, lifting off, jumping on the throttle etc.
Check your tyre pressures at least once a week.

Good luck and enjoy.

Old 04-18-2004, 03:45 AM
MrV

Originally posted by amanda_s2k
Logged in as Amanda That should have been from Neil_s2k!

Shimming Neil

Quick Reply: New to rear wheel drive!