UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

New S2000

Old 04-21-2017, 07:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New S2000

Hi All,

I have recently bought an 05 S2000, been driving it around for a while now and I love it!
I do have a few questions regarding transmission noise though.
The car has 46000 miles, so fairly low mileage considering.
When traveling at low speeds I can hear noise coming from the gearbox area, its a fairly quiet noise, sounds rattly, goes away after around 20mph, not sure if it goes away after this or the road noise drowns it out.
The other noise is from the back of the car, speeds higher than around 20, it sounds like the diff is making a whurring noise. The noise changes with speed and doesn't change clutch in or out. I've read some threads saying that this is all normal?

Gearbox and Diff oil have both been changed noise still persists.

Even so, I have warranty and have just taken to Honda today to look at, they have just quoted me £1700 to take the box out and investigate, change the clutch, and replace three tires they say are worn, which don't look any where near limits to me, but I am yet to measure.

My warranty company will only cover up to £1000 per job so this doesn't seem feasible, especially considering they have said it is all guesswork and investigation.

Can anyone shed any light on these noises, are they normal?
Does anyone have an S2000 near Ware, Herts that I can compare with mine?
Can anyone suggest an alternate garage to Norton Way Honda?

Thanks all!
Old 04-21-2017, 07:48 AM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Personally I would just change the g box and diff oil, will not cost much. If noise continues then it may well be the input/output bearings in the gearbox, these are known to be noisy sometimes. in my experience the g box will continue to work perfectly just be a bit noisier. I have also experienced gearbox oil being put in the diff (Honda dealer) this caused a bit of a groan going round a corner at slow speed, again a oil change cured this HTH..

Welcome by the way..

Last edited by tozerman; 04-21-2017 at 07:50 AM.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:51 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

You could try the next Herts meet which will be on the first Thursday in May (4th), here's a link to last month's https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-irela...l-%2A-1170252/
Old 04-21-2017, 07:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratulations, I'd hoped to have found a nice one today on an 05 plate too, but it wasn't great. Did you buy private or from a dealer ?
Old 04-21-2017, 12:45 PM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

I know a very good S2000 mechanic over MK way. Mine always goes there as do a few others on here
Old 04-21-2017, 12:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by john-
Hi All,
Can anyone suggest an alternate garage to Norton Way Honda?

Thanks all!
Try contacting the guys at Perfect Touch in Hoddesdon, proper motor engineers who work on a range of performance cars but are very reasonable in their charges.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

JOhn,

Welcome and I hope you enjoy your S as much as I do.

I'd be very surprised if a warranty company would cover any of that - definitely not the tyres or clutch, and the usual get out clause for cars of the age of an S2K now is "Wear and Tear".. But as many have said on here a Honda dealer is not necessarily the best place to take an S2K.

Tyres - the dealer will outsource and throw a margin on top - just look online and save yourself some money - also I wouldn't be replacing 3 tyres on their own the S is incredibly sensitive to tyres and tyre pressures - so replace both on the same axle at a minimum.

Simes.
Old 04-22-2017, 03:11 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by john-
Hi All,

Does anyone have an S2000 near Ware, Herts that I can compare with mine?
Thanks all!
John

Will be giving my car a good blast down that way tomorrow afternoon (Sunday) as the weather looks good.... if your around we can meet up somewhere.

Alan.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:13 PM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

That rattling noise could be the catalyst. Mine had the same problem when I bought it last year ('05 as well).

It's an easy fix and finding a used cat in good condition isn't that hard or expensive. Buying a new one from the dealership however is very expensive.
You can also buy a decat. I replaced my rattling cat with a J's decat and no more noise, original one is only used once a year for inspection/MOT now.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:42 PM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Might just be a loose CAT heatshield.

Quick Reply: New S2000