UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

New S2000

Old 04-23-2017, 05:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by unclefester
I know a very good S2000 mechanic over MK way. Mine always goes there as do a few others on here
Hi unclefester, can you divulge as I'm in MK and may come in useful.
ta.
Old 04-24-2017, 01:37 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I take mine to jimmy martin (auto tech studio) just of JCT 13....MK17.

Can recommend highly.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:35 AM

Hi all!, thanks for all of the responses, been busy at work and couldn't manage to find this thread on my phone, so sorry for the late response!
Also a big thanks to sZooo5 who met me while out on a drive and confirmed that I do have abnormal transmission noise!

Originally Posted by tozerman
Personally I would just change the g box and diff oil, will not cost much. If noise continues then it may well be the input/output bearings in the gearbox, these are known to be noisy sometimes. in my experience the g box will continue to work perfectly just be a bit noisier. I have also experienced gearbox oil being put in the diff (Honda dealer) this caused a bit of a groan going round a corner at slow speed, again a oil change cured this HTH..

Welcome by the way..
That was my first response after hearing it, replaced the gearbox and diff oil in the second week, both bought directly from Honda. The noise didn't change after. The diff oil was quite dirty, which made me think that could have been the culprit, but after googling the output bearings it sounds exactly like my problem. I can deal with the noise as long as its not terminal, I'll change the bearings in winter.

Originally Posted by lovegroova
You could try the next Herts meet which will be on the first Thursday in May (4th), here's a link to last month's https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-irela...l-%2A-1170252/
I'm unfortunately working that evening, I'm also away on the next Ace Cafe day too! I definitely want to come to some events though!

Originally Posted by philboo
Congratulations, I'd hoped to have found a nice one today on an 05 plate too, but it wasn't great. Did you buy private or from a dealer ?
Thanks! I bought it from a dealer, couple of hours drive from me, full service history and near perfect condition, pretty pleased in all. Hope you have some luck soon.

Originally Posted by unclefester
I know a very good S2000 mechanic over MK way. Mine always goes there as do a few others on here
Is this the same garage that sZooo5 mentioned? Its hard to find a garage to trust.

Originally Posted by Bucksfez
Try contacting the guys at Perfect Touch in Hoddesdon, proper motor engineers who work on a range of performance cars but are very reasonable in their charges.
Used this garage before for an alignment on my old S15 and wasn't very happy with the results, they couldn't get the equipment on properly and it ended up getting a bad alignment because of this.
Though a few friends have used them before with good results, I may try them again in future.

Originally Posted by 51mes
JOhn,

Welcome and I hope you enjoy your S as much as I do.

I'd be very surprised if a warranty company would cover any of that - definitely not the tyres or clutch, and the usual get out clause for cars of the age of an S2K now is "Wear and Tear".. But as many have said on here a Honda dealer is not necessarily the best place to take an S2K.

Tyres - the dealer will outsource and throw a margin on top - just look online and save yourself some money - also I wouldn't be replacing 3 tyres on their own the S is incredibly sensitive to tyres and tyre pressures - so replace both on the same axle at a minimum.

Simes.
Thanks for the info, I'm definitely enjoying it, least powerful car I have had recently, but my favourite by far!
I know I would never be able to get warranty to cover tyres and clutch, I didn't even take it into Honda for anything else to be looked at other than the noise, so slightly annoyed they wasted their time with that. Tires are on my list, I've got a track day in a month, so I'll be fitting new straight after that. going to do a bit of research on what tires to get, as it will only be used in summer. I'm not sure what they were thinking only suggesting to change 3, I've also measured them at around 4mm on each corner, so its not too much worry for now.

Originally Posted by Bubbels**
That rattling noise could be the catalyst. Mine had the same problem when I bought it last year ('05 as well).

It's an easy fix and finding a used cat in good condition isn't that hard or expensive. Buying a new one from the dealership however is very expensive.
You can also buy a decat. I replaced my rattling cat with a J's decat and no more noise, original one is only used once a year for inspection/MOT now.
Cant be the cat... I've seen to that already

Thanks again for all the words of wisdom
Old 04-25-2017, 07:36 AM

Also a picture, just because I think shes pretty
Old 04-25-2017, 09:22 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

That's lovely

that the one advertised on ebay ? Has exhaust mod and some lowering springs? Brompton cars ? 13.5 k if I remember.....

Last edited by Bodyboarder1981; 04-25-2017 at 09:32 AM.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yellow facelift with hardtop - looks stunning
Old 04-25-2017, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Bodyboarder1981
That's lovely

that the one advertised on ebay ? Has exhaust mod and some lowering springs? Brompton cars ? 13.5 k if I remember.....
Thank you. Yes, that's the one, had been looking for a decent example in yellow for a while. I had to pay what I am calling "yellow tax"

Originally Posted by bluepurple
yellow facelift with hardtop - looks stunning
Thanks!
Old 04-25-2017, 12:42 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

It is a beauty

enjoy !!
Old 05-02-2017, 04:37 AM

Mine's just had a new cat about 3 months ago, with that same rattling noise. Actually went for aftermarket, bit of a fudge fit (not long enough by about 4-5mm) but same exhaust flow as OE, and a lot cheaper.
Old 05-02-2017, 09:27 PM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by sZooo5
I take mine to jimmy martin (auto tech studio) just of JCT 13....MK17.

Can recommend highly.
Yup - that's the chap. I've known him a few years now. Trustworthy, reliable and also ex Honda master technician. Whilst i have the S2000, it will only go there for work.

Quick Reply: New S2000