UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

New S2K owner saying hi, plus a few questions :)

Old 12-02-2007, 03:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New S2K owner saying hi, plus a few questions :)

I'm a newbie here, so please be gentle!
I've been reading this site avidly for the last week while I've been waiting for my S2K... I can't believe it's finally here, and I've been grinning from ear to ear since!

It's an 02 in Silverstone with Red leather interior, and I keep having to find excuses to go out on erands in it! Yesterday was fantastic weather for driving here, but today's bucketing

Since getting the car home, I've replaced the black radio cover with a nice Silver one from the newer models - looks gorgeous! So now the questions are...

1) What else should I be doing?! Are there any must-haves?

2) I need to get some floor mats - I want to get some that are designed for the S2K and look official... where's best to go?

3) I don't have a garage, but I do have off street parking. If I go away on holiday for 2 weeks with the car locked, alarmed and immobilised, it the battery likely to go flat and trigger the alarm? I don't mind jumping it back to life when I get back, but I don't want to annoy my neighbours with the alarm!

4) I'm itching to wave/flash another S2000 driver as I drive past them... will they think I'm odd, and more importantly am I odd for thinking that?!

5) My remote blip thing is quite worn, and it feels like I'm going to go through the unlock button any day now... do I have to go to Honda for a new one and cross their palms with silver?

I've signed up for the S2K UK owner's club... hoping to get my keyring on the chain soon

Thanks in advance
Old 12-02-2007, 03:11 AM

Welcome

I hope you get on with it and have bought a goodun

I never experienced a flat battery during 2 weeks away but when the battery is on its way out you will know about it as it will do a bit of a Carrie with the alarm going b crazy every now and then. TBH if it hasnt been replace you will be due a new battery soon, I think on average 5-6 years is probably the going rate for them.

Have you much experience of RWD? You might want to look at getting on a driving course ASAP or prepare to be facing the wrong direction in weather like tis
Old 12-02-2007, 03:18 AM

[QUOTE=nickrg3,Dec 2 2007, 12:11 PM] Welcome

I hope you get on with it and have bought a goodun

I never experienced a flat battery during 2 weeks away but when the battery is on its way out you will know about it as it will do a bit of a Carrie with the alarm going b crazy every now and then.
Old 12-02-2007, 04:44 AM

Received 127 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by schofs,Dec 2 2007, 12:18 PM
I'm planning to go with a load of mates to an airfield track where we hire out the track for the whole day (meaning we can go one at a time and not crash into each other!). I'd like to go once in the wet, and then again in the summer.
I'd recommend a motorsport-events academy day. Instructors on hand to help, and only
Old 12-02-2007, 06:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome,

There are loads of things you could do, all depends on your budget.

Kiwi
Old 12-02-2007, 06:23 AM

Schofs and welcome. I hope you enjoy your S2000 experience as much as everyone else here seems to.

As regards to mats most on here rave about and go for the Muz mats.

Here http://www.prestigeautoaccessories.com/store/

Mine (The premium ones)should be arriving by courier any time soon so I can't speak from personal experience but they are supposed to be excellent quality but are a bit steep in price (you pay for what you get and they are made to order). If you have black carpet in the car you need charcoal colour if you want the nearest match.

With regards as to 'must haves' I think you will get a lot of differing answers but here is my pennys worth. A lot on here get a 'Center Gravity' alignment done and a greasing of the bush pins (Is that right guys?)

look here http://www.centergravity.co.uk/about.php

Not cheap but if they are seized then can be
Old 12-02-2007, 08:49 AM

Received 126 Likes on 109 Posts

As with any modern car the brake disks will be covered in rust if the car is standing without cover for two weeks in the winter rain. I was away for 10 days a few years ago in early March and had to go to Honda to have them put a router (or something like that) to the rear disks - there was no way even agressive braking would shift the rust.

I cover my wheels in winter when I go away for more than a few days. I use lids for recycling boxes that I secure with strong elastic (the type one uses to secure items on a roof-rack). Looks weird, but works for me.

Other things: Potenza RE050A when it comes to replace tyres - IMHO vastly superior to S02s, but not everybody agrees. Taller wind blocker - I made mine myself. Cut the wire so that you can lower and raise the roof even when moving (obviously you want to do this at very low speeds). I agree Shin Etsu is a must. Put it on liberally everywhere on the soft top where bits of rubber meet other bits - this way you should loose most of the creaking and rattle from the roof. (Grit, dust and sand gets in there, especially when the roof is down.)

Watch tyre pressure and of course oil level. The car uses quite a lot of oil when you are in VTEC, otherwise it doesn't use that much if it's been properly bedded in.

Good luck with the car!
Old 12-03-2007, 12:29 AM

Guys - thanks all for your replys... am getting there!

It's had 4 new tyres on it as part of the service, and it seems to be handling well in the wet (that is to say - I'm not trying to push it, but it's behaving itself at the moment!).

I'm definitely interested in getting some floor mats - the carpet's Red, so I though I might get some of those muz ones in red with a black border and black S... that said, Oz is a long way to go for some mats!

The Shin Etsu sounds like a good idea - ta!

Have done a bit of reading and I see that keyfobs can be programmed for the Honda Security system... I'll look at getting one that looks identical from Ebay - I'm assuming that only the identical ones will work - is this true?
Old 12-03-2007, 05:14 AM

Not too sure that the red Muz is like the red Honda. I think I read on hear that someone bought some and was disappointed with the colour match. But not sure. They may come from Australia but the company is good, the items are great from what I've heard, and Muz is often posting on here. So you could PM him re colour match

What tyres did they fit? The S, apparently, is pretty picky about what it runs on.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by Bramblecat,Dec 3 2007, 02:14 PM
Not too sure that the red Muz is like the red Honda. I think I read on hear that someone bought some and was disappointed with the colour match. But not sure. They may come from Australia but the company is good, the items are great from what I've heard, and Muz is often posting on here. So you could PM him re colour match

What tyres did they fit? The S, apparently, is pretty picky about what it runs on.
Thanks. Will do that.

I noticed that the didn't fit Bridgestones, can't remember what they were but they do seem to handle well, and driving in the bucketing rain yesterday was no problem at all.

Quick Reply: New S2K owner saying hi, plus a few questions :)