UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

New short engine

Old 08-03-2001, 08:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New short engine

Purchased my red S2k .9.00, new. since the had 3 clutches. Original one had the usual noise everyone complains about, the second started off quiet then went to the same noise but worse. I tried to pull away quickly and the clutch started to slip in 1st the. I am now on the third. In the meantime heavy oil consumption has led Honda to fit a new short engine. They say promblems around a certain build date. It now has a low down slight knocking noise when warm which I will be informing them of in the next few days. Extremely fed up but unfortunately I love the car.
Old 08-03-2001, 08:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Geezus Colin... Sorry to hear of your problems. Sounds like Honda should be seriously addressing these issues for you. How many miles have you done??
Old 08-03-2001, 08:47 AM

Colin, very sorry to hear of your troubles.

I would be banging down the door of Honda U.K. demanding a replacement car.
Have you tried this route ?
I am sure Honda would hate their excellent image to be tarnished in public.

Good luck.
Old 08-06-2001, 01:17 AM

The mileage on the car is 8700. When they decided they were going to put a replacement short engine in the car I told them that if any of the components which they had replaced failed again, I will be rejecting the car on the basis that the components are not capable of performing the tasks they were designed to do. The car is in for its first service on Wednesday, so I will be notifying them of the engine noise then. so we will see what happens.
As a side issue I think the 0-60 times on the car are exagerated there is no way you can get mine to 60 in Autocars 5.5. The clutch is not good enough, or perhaps the modified clutches have compromised the cars performance.
Old 08-09-2001, 02:27 AM

Colin,

Certainly sounds like you've been through the mill as well, the numbers seem to be growing!

My own problems started in April following a 9k service, see threads passum, following the post service fire , which the dealer took responsibility for I waited two months for a short engine to be fitted. The seems OK but I now have noisy, sticky clutch/gearbox problems. The dealer advises that they will change the clutch and gearbox as a precautionary measure!!! On top of that the front rims have started to pit and my windscreen went west on Tuesday!!

......but apart from all that I still think it's fantastic
Old 08-09-2001, 03:46 AM

Colin

I think my car is definately related to yours. They are definately twins!

had idential clutch problem. Collecting my car today with a new short block, new cat, new redigned clutch set. had 3 cluthes previouly fitted.

I have lost around 4-5 weeks of ownership based on problems.

If the car is not right today and cannot be fixed next week, its going to be world war 3 pretty soon, and honda will be on the receiving end BIG TIME.

I think users on this website should compile a document with all the faults experienced for each individual car.

Honda must be making a big loss on this model. They must be planning to roll production for a couple of years if they are going to break even.

How can a design like this rock with the porche's, bmw's, and merc's in our current time.

I would prefer if the car had 200 BHP and had good reliability.

2002 should be the year!

RL
Old 08-09-2001, 04:11 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ricardo_life
[B]Colin
Old 08-09-2001, 06:17 AM

I've had a serious tranny problem at 10,000 miles - 5th & 6th gears almost unusable. Car now at dealer. Is only problem I have experienced, but I've not driven it hard. Tires still have lots of tread.
Old 08-09-2001, 06:24 AM

I certainly beleive that the s2k's testing is being performed by the consumer on the road. As I said mine is in as we speak for service. I took car down to dealer and had two mechanics listen to the engine noise. They agreed that it sounded over tappety ( if there is such a word ). Lets hope it is just a case of adjusting them. I agree that we should log all faults especially the common ones eg. the clutch and by the sound of it the replacement short engine. The cars are great fun but if in three years time Im left with a car thats worthless because of its duff reliability problems I wont be a happy camper. I can post something on a new thread asking for anyone to respond who has had reliability problems. What do you think?
Old 08-09-2001, 06:36 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Colin Killick
[B]They agreed that it sounded over tappety ( if there is such a word

Quick Reply: New short engine