UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

New timing chain? TCT related.

Old 03-30-2010, 06:44 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by lovegroova,Mar 30 2010, 11:11 AM
Ask eSeM, he has done some further work related to this, which seems to be a more permanent fix.
I replaced my TCT just over a year ago and the noise came back in less than 10k miles .....

So I did a bit of reading on here and I found an interesting post from Jaeger on how to fix the TCT.

So I followed the instructions Here! and it has been fine ever since.

Turns out that they are not designed very well and they can be fixed, quite easily, without the need for replacing them.

Old 03-30-2010, 07:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vixen,Mar 30 2010, 03:38 PM
I've had to replace mine twice (about a year apart), in fact it's probably been in for about a year now this time.

IIRC there was a thread ages ago that said that the second Gen TCT's seemed to keep having this problem, lots of info on States side as well.

I'd rather replace the TCT every year for £100 than pay out over a grand (unless of course there is an underlying issue that's going to go bang )
Got mine sandblasted
Old 03-30-2010, 08:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vixen,Mar 30 2010, 03:38 PM
I'd rather replace the TCT every year for £100 than pay out over a grand (unless of course there is an underlying issue that's going to go bang )
I know something of Dembo's did go bang. That's what I'm worried about. Was that timing chain related? I am loath to replace the TCT again without investigating further as I am concerned that it might mask an underlying problem.

Interesting info eSeM, I have read that thread before. I am not into working on my car myself like you are, shame I haven't got a pet mechanic like Squeak has.

I might ask Saz's new mate John Whalley what he thinks or go on a little jaunt to Barnsley.

I will be interested to hear what the OP decides to do.

Old 03-31-2010, 01:31 AM

Wow, I didn't expect this thread to get as many replies as it has so far. I knew there would have been people in my same situation. Sorry, for the lack of feedback… Haven’t been able to get onto this site for a couple of days!

Yeah, thanks for the link eSeM. I have read that, but unfortunately my mechanical skills are nonexistent and knowing my luck I’d probably drop something into the engine.

It does worry me that people are doing DIY on the TCT which is a vital and reliant part which can be detrimental to your VTEC engine.

The way I see it is, if I get the whole job done and the engine goes bang, at least I can have a clear head that I did it by the book. I must admit, I personally feel this ticking issue is a dark cloud over the S2000 which seems far too common for my liking. I had a neighbour who had his own car business and he mentioned that he had 2 S2000s both of which had this issue also.

I’ll probably won’t get it done until after the next couple of weeks as I don’t have the free time at the moment.

Either way, I’ll report back on my findings and keep people informed on progress and any issues I come accross. I do feel this problem should be a sticky on this forum; especially regarding peoples feedback in fixing this bugger.

So, keep your ideas and experiences coming – it’s good to see.

Keith.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:16 AM

I have the ticking TCT sound when the engine heats but i dont have the card-in-spokes sound on start up.

Been planning to replace the chain when the weather picks up a litttle, does a new one come broken? Are there any special tools required to rejoin the ends.
Old 04-14-2010, 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by S2k Eire,Mar 31 2010, 06:16 AM
I have the ticking TCT sound when the engine heats but i dont have the card-in-spokes sound on start up.

Been planning to replace the chain when the weather picks up a litttle, does a new one come broken? Are there any special tools required to rejoin the ends.
From having a general chat with a Honda tech guy, he mentioned that the chain comes connected not broken.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ignore that the Skunk and Toda are for K series engines only.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by strar8,Mar 30 2010, 04:56 AM
I changed mt TCT twice within 6 months and eventually changed the timing chain. Didn't cost as much as I thought it was going to cost, thought at first the cylinder head would have to come off to change the chain and change the cylinder head gasket and carbon seals, but he managed to change the chain by feeding the chain through.
Can you go into some detail as to how the chain can be removed/installed without removing the head?
Old 04-15-2010, 08:19 AM

When do Honda recommend changing the timing chain?
Old 04-15-2010, 09:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Meshca,Apr 15 2010, 03:01 AM
Can you go into some detail as to how the chain can be removed/installed without removing the head?

Just in case

I don't think Honda specify when the chain is to be replaced, given that it should last longer than the engine.

Quick Reply: New timing chain? TCT related.