UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

NGK Iridium Plugs Installed

Old 10-17-2001, 07:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default NGK Iridium Plugs Installed

Put the NGK Iridium plugs in today (Thanks Nigel!)

Well, there's a down side. You know when you hit a bump, back of and then hit the throttle due to it and kind of kangaroo down the road a bit? Well, the NGK plugs have made this worse.... The throttle response low down feels much sharper! So once the bump throttle change starts it's worse if you don't catch it!

I'd suffered from hesitation at low revs before - including the morning drive over to Biker1's. No problems stuck in traffic this time - just a turbine like smoothness to the engine pickup

I'm very impressed. Before I left I told Nigel I'd post my conclusions after the weekend, but I felt such an immediate impression. I've also been on the little back roads run that I mentioned the other day - the car seemed much better after the ECU reset, but really does seem smoother and more willing to respond to changes in throttle.

It's already making smooth driving with my problem left knee a lot easier. The car feels happier as well. I doubt there has been any bhp change, but the way the difference in the response in wonderful. The engine has more of the smooth power feel that my blueprinted ITR engine had.

One side note, the original plugs that came out showed signs of the engine running rich - which is probably due to the recent forced ECU reset. I'll keep an eye on how the car behaves on the next few weeks.

Not an expensive upgrade, but hard to get hold of. But worthwhile. I'd happily have paid many times the cost of the plugs for this kind of improvement!

-Brian.
Old 10-17-2001, 07:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How many miles on your S2000 when you changed to the Iridium plugs??
Old 10-17-2001, 07:50 AM

Originally posted by RedMenace
How many miles on your S2000 when you changed to the Iridium plugs??
~2600.

-Brian.
Old 10-17-2001, 09:54 AM

So is Nigel doing a GB for these then ?
Old 10-17-2001, 09:59 AM

Whats the difference between Denso and NGK... ?

Is NGK better ?
Old 10-17-2001, 10:17 AM

I don't think there will be a group buy. It was a favour from a friend of his who was in Japan who wnet out of his way to pick them up. (They're hard to get even in Japan currently!)

The came from a 'Super*Autobacs' - something like a special Halfords branch at a guess. I've got the till receipt

As to differences between Denso/NGK? I'm not sure there is much difference in practical terms. Denso is certainly easier to get hold of though.

Na$ty - I'm sure I could give you a ride tomorrow if you want to hear/feel the difference. I was seriously shocked at how big the difference was.

Oh and if anyone wants and objective Denso/NGK comparison, just buy me a set of Denso's and I'll do a test

I might take some shots of the plugs some time - the stock Platinum plugs have small electrodes, but the NGK Iridium's electrodes are a lot smaller, with a smaller, shaped arm bit.

-Brian
Old 10-20-2001, 09:46 AM

I've added another ~320 miles on the plugs in past few days. About ~240 miles of motorway.

- On the motorway the engine seemed happier picking up from 3-4000rpm in high gears.
- On the back roads, it had the same impression as before. Much more eager to pickup, smoother and with more 'bite'. Certainly does feel closer to my Blueprinted ITR engine.
- Stuck in a traffic jam on the M1, the engine was much happier. It would hold idle in first gear (4mph) whereas before it was gruff and unhappy at about 6mph. Since making the low down engine behaviour better for me was the whole idea, I'm very happy indeed

The car's now got ~3000 miles on the clock. So that might help some of this as well - I've no way of knowing if part of this isn't just the car getting more bedded in.

-Brian.
Old 10-20-2001, 09:51 AM

Do you think that its just the plugs that make such a difference ??

I remember mine improving in pickup after around 2,500 miles.
Maybe its partly the fact that it has had a good running in..... although im sure the plugs help
Old 10-20-2001, 10:00 AM

Originally posted by N-a-$-t-Y
Do you think that its just the plugs that make such a difference ??

I remember mine improving in pickup after around 2,500 miles.
Maybe its partly the fact that it has had a good running in..... although im sure the plugs help
I was stuck in a jam on the way to biker1's to pickup/fit the plugs. The car was being ill tempered on the way over there. There was an immediate difference in feel when I drove back. It really was uncanny!

I posted the milage comment, as the jam on the motorway today, was after quite a few more miles (~200). So it's possible that this helped. I haven't noticed any difference in transmission feel since the last improvement at around 2000 miles.

I've also dismissed the state of the plugs - there was some evidence of the engine running rich before changing, but it was not bad. It's kind of like the 'just-been-serviced' feeling, except that I've done 100's of miles since and it has gone. The 'just-been-serviced' feeling always went pretty quickly before for me.

Anyway, if you want to go Iridium I'd recommend it. If you don't notice a difference (and I'm sure you would) then it's only ~
Old 10-20-2001, 03:24 PM

Dont let my girlfriend hear you say that....
Im in the dog house for buying the hardtop

ouch.... well it is only money after all.... you cant take it with you........

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bmarshall
[B]
Anyway, if you want to go Iridium I'd recommend it. If you don't notice a difference (and I'm sure you would) then it's only ~

Quick Reply: NGK Iridium Plugs Installed