UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Now that's a liberty?

Old 09-01-2001, 08:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$nasty - I think the castle thing is a myth - think of the guy doing life at the moment - in our pc world I think that you are supposed to have a conversation on Schoppenhauer with the intruder while phoning the police.
I also think you would not get a shotgun licence without a valid reaon.
Buy mantraps is the answer
Old 09-01-2001, 08:45 AM

One of the best alternatives must be the Tazer gun.
Non lethal and it will put your man down pretty fast. You could then follow up by dancing on his face while you wait for the police to arrive (and ambulance).

I put a lot of faith in my German Shepherd, not a dog to take lightly.
Old 09-01-2001, 01:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by jschmidt
Hope you'll excuse the butting in.

I wouldn't get too worked up about this. We're a country of unrepentant blow-hards and that's mostly what this is. In my experience, most of these "big men" will be hiding in the closet at the first sign of trouble.

A statistic is helpful. Most US cops never fire their weapon in the line of duty during a twenty + year career. These jerks are even less likely. The major threat is that there will be an accidental shooting in their family. Even this is rare.
You're not butting in.. this is S2K INTERNATIONAL

I owned a cupboard full of shotguns until only a few years ago,which I used for clay and game shooting. I love guns, but for the sheer craftsmanship they represent, and the downright good fun you can have with them in the company of like-minded people who know how to handle them safely.It is very sad the effect a gun can sometimes have on the otherwise most stable and well adjusted of people. As soon as a gun becomes a power trip, it is most definitely in the wrong hands. I can understand the comfort they bring to those who feel threatened, but the truth is that those who have lived out the fantasy and blown away their man under whatever circumstances, are never the same again. No matter how tough we think we are, the reality of taking a human life is a huge cross to bear...... forever!

It would be a very brave man indeed who would now try to limit gun ownership in the U.S.A., a liberty which dates from long ago when times were supposedly more lawless, but surely, sooner or later someone has to make a start. He'd better not want to run for President
Old 09-01-2001, 01:36 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mikerich
[B]$nasty - I think the castle thing is a myth -
Old 09-01-2001, 06:51 PM

what was the line on "Lock stock & 2 smoking barrels"? something like.."guns for show - knifes for a pro"......though the point being that casualty in the UK will be filled up on a Friday and Saturday night with 10,000 blade wounds to every bullet wound - so even without guns, we still can inflict plenty of damage on each other. My Dad's a surgeon - and the only wound he had to fix from a gun in his 30 odd years of working was when a guy fired his shotgun into his foot by mistake. He had the same guy back few months later - because somebody asked him on the next hunting trip "remember not to shoot yourself" - reply - "don't worry it's not loaded - look", click bang - same foot
Old 09-02-2001, 12:18 AM

Sorry - still think the castle thing is a myth.

Thought the life guy was unfairly - albeit not illegally - treated - more than one intruder - with records as long as your arm - including if I recall ABH if not GBH - and the guy had been 'done over' before.
Never had a shotgun licence - but thought you had to show reason for possession - clubs, pheasants whatever - didn't think defence of the castle fell under this category

"No certificate shall be granted or renewed if the Chief Officer of Police:
has reason to believe that the applicant is prohibited by the Act from possessing a shotgun; OR
Is satisfied that the applicant does not have a good reason for possessing, purchasing or acquiring a shotgun.

http://www.met.police.uk/firearms-enquirie...es/shotguns.htm"

Agree on the long term memory!

Kobe - red foot - red face!
Old 09-02-2001, 02:20 AM

Obviously, you would not be granted a certificate if you put down
'Defence Of Castle' as the reason for your application.

Despite Chief Constables trying to impose various conditions beyond their powers e.g. reasons to possess i.e. clay, game shooting, the fact is that numerous people have contested this, and a certificate has always been granted even if the applicant says he merely wishes to collect shotguns. One Shotgun Certificate by the way entitles you to possess as many shotguns as you wish as long as they are all listed on the certificate.

Everyone is concerned, I think, at the way your man was treated. The fact is the circumstances would not allow any other course of action without throwing open the floodgates to other incidents.
Old 09-02-2001, 02:53 AM

pax
Old 09-02-2001, 03:15 AM

Originally posted by mikerich
pax
LOL... Actually, I sign Shotgun Certificate applications for people quite a lot. They're far easier to obtain than they should be.
Old 09-02-2001, 01:17 PM

Originally posted by Cedric Tomkinson

... known crazy man, drunk, etc
Counts me out then....

Quick Reply: Now that's a liberty?