UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Odometer from KM to Miles

Old 03-24-2011, 12:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odometer from KM to Miles

Hello!

I´m currently looking at buying an JDM-imported S2000 (http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/2631628.htm)

I was wondering about the Odometer reading though, he says that when the speedo was converted over to MPH the odometer reading couldn´t be changed.
That sounds a bit strange since it´s an digital/electrical cluster, I would have thought that when you change the settings to MPH the odometer reading would change to Miles too.
Is it just me being suspicious or is someone trying to cheat me here..? Wouldn´t be nice to see the reading in the Odo to jump up to over 200k when I go to get it changed over to KMH..

Any other info on the car in question, please feel free to tell!

(Might be a bit on the off-topic side, but I´m also interested in this one: http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/2481292.htm Any info is greatly appreciated on this car too..)
Old 03-24-2011, 01:40 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Depends on how they convert from KPH to MPH.

If they used an inline converter box that takes a speed signal in KPH and gives out an adjusted speed signal in MPH then they probably won't adjust the original odometer reading so what he says is correct. Nothing's been done wrong, just cheaply.

72k miles at import is a huge mileage for a JDM import.

The close ration gearbox and LSD refers to as JDM options aren't. They were standard on all. Its also unlikely that the JDM engine produces any more power on UK fuel.

The replacement hood he refers to doesn't seem to sit down properly either.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:54 AM

Regarding the odometer, it doesn't look to me like he's trying to cheat anyone, just that he isn't the sharpest thing out there. He thinks that you convert km to miles by subtracting 44294...? If the odometer is correct then 128123km = 79611 miles.

Out of interest, did Honda really put red seats in blue cars?
Old 03-24-2011, 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by lower
Depends on how they convert from KPH to MPH.

If they used an inline converter box that takes a speed signal in KPH and gives out an adjusted speed signal in MPH then they probably won't adjust the original odometer reading so what he says is correct. Nothing's been done wrong, just cheaply.
Yep, I just thought that since the cluster is electronic you could just drop by a Honda dealer and ask them to change it with a tester device/computer. I remember seeing both KM/H and MPH marks on the cluster, the other one is just not lit..?
The close ration gearbox and LSD refers to as JDM options aren't. They were standard on all. Its also unlikely that the JDM engine produces any more power on UK fuel.

The replacement hood he refers to doesn't seem to sit down properly either.
Yeap, I also noticed the fault "JDM options" he is referring to.
If you mean the roof by hood, then yes it doesn´t seem to sit down as it should.. I have seen a few cars with a roof like that.. Common isue with badly done replacements?

Maybe I just need to relax for a bit. It´s just starting to get frustrating since it seems like every time there is a good example for sale at a good price I end up missing the sale by a day or two. It´s not easy trying to buy a car from 3000km.s away. Especially when half the people think you are trying to scam or fraud them even if the car would be paid with cash when picking up..

If you know any good examples in the £6000 range feel free to PM me. I had this policy that I´d only accept MCB or Berlina.. But I guess I´ll have to settle for a Silverstone if it´s this hard to find a proper car in the right colour.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:22 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by kop-O-nen
Yep, I just thought that since the cluster is electronic you could just drop by a Honda dealer and ask them to change it with a tester device/computer. I remember seeing both KM/H and MPH marks on the cluster, the other one is just not lit..?
Doesn't work like that i'm afraid. UK cars have a button that allow you to toggle between km and m. JdM's don't and its not simple of make it work. You basically have to buy a new instrument pack from a guy that's worked out how to make JDM pack's work the same was as the UK ones.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by kop-O-nen' timestamp='1300966056' post='20391691
Doesn't work like that i'm afraid. UK cars have a button that allow you to toggle between km and m. JdM's don't and its not simple of make it work. You basically have to buy a new instrument pack from a guy that's worked out how to make JDM pack's work the same was as the UK ones.
Ok, so that's how it goes. Noticed the button in pictures of UK cars, but never realized it's not the same on JDM clusters. You live and learn!
Old 03-24-2011, 05:44 AM

yeah, JDM's need converting with a box of magic (iirc on mine, there is a box on the gearbox speed sensor that converts it). maybe this is kph/mph change, i presume dash uses this to calculate mileage too.

UK/EU has a button on dash.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine apparently had the odometer reading changed on import, as the better importers will do. So it can be done; you could always find somebody who imports japanese cars and ask them. I wouldn't worry about it.

Not having the button is pretty annoying. My dash has the Km/h light illuminated, except they've knobbled the K. Underneath it I can see it says "mph", so the JDM dash actually does have the LED there, just not the switch. Bloody Honda.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:07 PM

I had a JDM. When it came in they fitted a converter box to the gearbox (about £3) and also dismantled the dash so they could solder a connection meaning the mileage would then count in MPH. This had to be done for the SVA.

While they're at it, its a very easy thing to reset the mileage to whatever number you want....so beware.

There are plenty of cars in your price bracket, and as the weather improves, and the cost of insurance rises, more will show up.

Take your time and buy wisely. Its no fun regretting a purchase afterwards.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by Shipley
There are plenty of cars in your price bracket, and as the weather improves, and the cost of insurance rises, more will show up.

Take your time and buy wisely. Its no fun regretting a purchase afterwards.
Wow, strange. I thought that the prices would only go up when the weather improves towards the summer.

As I said earlier, you live and learn!

Quick Reply: Odometer from KM to Miles