UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

OEM Head Unit Question

Old 12-04-2015, 01:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM Head Unit Question

Morning all.

I recently purchased a MY04 and the previous owner decided to swap the OEM head unit for an aftermarket POS.

There's an OE unit listed on Ebay however the seller does not have the code.

Is it possible to get the code direct from Honda? I understand there may be a charge and I have tried calling them this morning but their customer service was poor - Thought I'd ask on here?

Cheers.
Old 12-04-2015, 01:46 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

The OEM unit is really bad, so I'd avoid it.

But yes, you can get the code from a Honda dealer, although it might cost you as it varies from dealer to dealer.
Old 12-04-2015, 01:59 AM

Thanks for the quick response.

I've managed to source an OEM unit from a member here (Thank you!).

What are your recommendations for an aftermarket unit that will still utilise the dash controls?

Cheers.

Originally Posted by lovegroova
The OEM unit is really bad, so I'd avoid it.

But yes, you can get the code from a Honda dealer, although it might cost you as it varies from dealer to dealer.
Old 12-04-2015, 02:07 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by MikaRaymond
Thanks for the quick response.

I've managed to source an OEM unit from a member here (Thank you!).

What are your recommendations for an aftermarket unit that will still utilise the dash controls?

Cheers.
Pretty much all of them will work with the dash controls, you'll need an adaptor like this (other options are available) http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/auto...-stalk-adaptor (note you'll need an additional adapter depending which manufacturer of head unit you choose, it's all explained in that link.

Which head unit depends entirely upon your budget and which features you require. There are lots of threads on this, so have a look for some recommendations.
Old 12-04-2015, 02:07 AM

Fantastic - Thank you very much for your help
Old 12-14-2015, 09:43 AM

Would someone be kind enough to post up a picture of an 04/05 OEM head unit please?
Old 12-14-2015, 02:59 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Is it really so bad as people make out? some folk aren't even aware that the bass & treble can be altered let alone the balance....when you consider Honda hid the thing behind a facia its not as if it was supposed to be a big deal in the first place.
Old 12-14-2015, 09:57 PM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Yes. If you like your music then the OEM thing is next to useless both in features and performance.and that's before you deal with the speakers / rattles in the doors.
Old 12-14-2015, 11:36 PM

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Not trying to repeat the above points but the OEM head unit really is garbage. I watched the Wheeler Dealers episode a while ago and couldn't quite believe they put the POS back in!

Anyhow, if you're trying to avoid the flashing/chrome/chintz looks of some aftermarket units then I can fully advise you to get an Alpine. 99% of em are very plain and neatly styled and offer great functionality and sound.
Old 12-15-2015, 01:00 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

The best reason for retaining the original head unit is when the car becomes a classic (and it's well on the way now) a totally stock car will be more valuable than one that's been messed around with. By all means mod as you wish ,but keep the original parts so it can be restored.

Quick Reply: OEM Head Unit Question