UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Ohlin vs KW V3

Old 05-06-2015, 12:41 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Ohlin vs KW V3

Im in the market for some coilovers, i have a leaky shock on one of my oem shocks on my 05 car, so i thought i may as well upgrade them, V3 and OHLIN seem to be around the same price and highly recommended so im torn between them both, not sure if their are several versions of the OHLIN but the ones im looking at are the ones sumo power are selling at current.

My car is a daily driver car, and although i would like to track it in the future, not sure that will ever happen.

so questions

1. Is it over kill for a road only car? should i just buy second hand oem set.
2. are their more then one version of the OHLIN for the s2000?
3. OHLIN or KW v3 for a road only car?
Old 05-06-2015, 01:06 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1. It depends what your requirements are - what specific features of a coilover unit do you actually desire? OEM suspension is bloody good.
2. Yes, I believe there is a TTX & DFV versions. DFV = Dual Flow Valve, TTX I can't recall if these are special order.
3. Even though I own a set of KW V3's, the Ohlins are probably a marginally superior product. However I know I don't have anywhere near the skill level to be able to tell the difference. On the road, I'd expect you'd need to reach a dangerous commitment level/speed in order to distinguish between the products.

However.

I've always purchased what I wanted & just because you may not feel the difference, knowing you have that product fitted is a very promising feeling.

There are many, many similar posts elsewhere within the forum comparing the units - do a search and spend some time reading.
Old 05-06-2015, 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by C7 JFW
1. It depends what your requirements are - what specific features of a coilover unit do you actually desire? OEM suspension is bloody good.
2. Yes, I believe there is a TTX & DFV versions. DFV = Dual Flow Valve, TTX I can't recall if these are special order.
3. Even though I own a set of KW V3's, the Ohlins are probably a marginally superior product. However I know I don't have anywhere near the skill level to be able to tell the difference. On the road, I'd expect you'd need to reach a dangerous commitment level/speed in order to distinguish between the products.

However.

I've always purchased what I wanted & just because you may not feel the difference, knowing you have that product fitted is a very promising feeling.

There are many, many similar posts elsewhere within the forum comparing the units - do a search and spend some time reading.
Would be nice to achieve a small drop in ride height without compromising the ride quality, Im mainly wanting a more planted car that gives me more confidence in it, i just dont want to go cheap and end up getting a worse handling car, i would go with oem but at the cost of 2x new rear shocks its not much more then getting a full set up, i could get 2x used shocks, but finding two from the same year car as mine, and that are matched/not damaged i feel might be a gamble especially from what i have read that the shocks were changed slightly 3-4 times over the years, so dont want to end up with the wrong shocks in my car.
Old 05-06-2015, 01:24 AM

Received 126 Likes on 107 Posts

If that's all you want, a pair of 2nd hand oem shocks and some lowering springs is probably all you need. But if you like the option of tweaking the height and ride, go coilovers. I've found Meister R to be as comfortable as oem, but not with the spring rates they normally come with. I would love to upgrade to V3s at some point though, as people's experience on here (at least from those whose opinions I trust) has been very good.
The following users liked this post:
Live Fast (12-17-2019)
Old 05-06-2015, 01:27 AM

Received 126 Likes on 107 Posts

PS, there is oem spring rate info available on the forum (do a search) if you want to know what rates yours are and how similar other years' rates are.
Old 05-06-2015, 02:16 AM

Received 349 Likes on 325 Posts

quote:
Im mainly wanting a more planted car that gives me more confidence in it.

Fitting good oem dampers would do just that compared to leaking dampers,>>+ Geo set correctly.
Eibach lowering are very rated and still need to install mine.<designed as Swift spring are for S2000>
USA states fastest times where on oem damper/springs <think CR> Showa dampers/springs work and designed for car.
Old 05-06-2015, 02:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fitting decent coilovers will make a world of difference and more so to road driving. In my experience anyway.

Comes down to cost at the end of the day. I've been in a few cars with KWs and thought they were excellent; better than the Bilsteins I have, though Bilstein should probably be second on your list. If you don't want to spend more than £500 then that's not going to be an option.
Old 05-06-2015, 03:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree that Ohlins are a bit superior to KW v3
Old 05-06-2015, 03:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the KWV3 shocks on my car and they are simply amazing. Mine are an older model which use the OEM top hats, which really does aid the ride quality for daily use. They cope with the rough roads just like the oem shocks, but come a track day you can then change them to the firmer settings you are after.
Highly recommended
Old 05-06-2015, 04:03 AM

Just bit the bullet and have gone for the OHLIN from sumo power, £1550 inc vat and delivery, will update the thread with pictures and install when they come hopefully by friday according to sumo power.
The following users liked this post:
nomadicS2k (02-05-2021)

Quick Reply: Ohlin vs KW V3