UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Ohlins Coilovers more comfortable than stock?

Old 06-03-2016, 02:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm running Ohlins used to run Meister Rs. The ride on bumpy roads is excellent it stays in contact with the road more of the time inspiring confidence, allowing you to carry more speed in corners and even the straights. Previously the car would skip over bumps in comparison on a mid setting but feel a bit wallowy when on the softer settings on the Meisters.

I would recommend getting them setup properly though by someone who knows what they are doing, so they can recommend a setup dependant on your requirements.

On track I found the stiffest setting to be too stiff even at Donington, I would get thrown offline down the back straight, I didn't even realise there was a bump there before.
Old 06-03-2016, 02:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had PSS9s on my previous S, and have Ohlins R&T on my current S.

PSS9s are outstanding on track on the S, as are Ohlins.

I'd have to give the edge to Ohlins for the road, but I wouldn't say they're as comfortable as stock, though my car's ride height with the Ohlins is 25mm lower than stock (as it was with the PSS9's also).

To me the Ohlins feel like they can't be set as stiff as the PSS9's, though the Ohlins have a wider range of incremental settings than the PSS9s. The Ohlins are probably a safer bet because they feel like there's more control under compression which translates to better feedback on the limit - I have no way of validating this however and is just my experience and subject to a lot of variables/expectations/biases. You'll never get round the S's problem-child attitude to wide drift angles but with the Ohlins it's definitely a lot sweeter.

If shopping on price and the Ohlins are cheaper, then I'd go with them. If the PSS9s are cheaper and you're looking at a more track focussed car then you might consider going with them. The Ohlins seem to be a better overall product and would be better value at the same price.

If you're taking it seriously you'd want to change roll-centre adjusters etc. to get the best out of the car and this will cost more than the coilovers alone anyway. J's Racing if you want reliable suspension mods beyond the coilovers.
Old 06-03-2016, 03:59 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rexer200
Originally Posted by K3Nguru' timestamp='1464935981' post='23983590
I don't even remember what the stock suspension feels like but IMO, Öhlins R&Ts are very comfortable. The springs that are supplied with the dampers are a lot stiffer than OEM but the dampers are amazing. I'd say they are the only coilovers (in that price range) for your liking. I'm driving on Finnish B roads and Öhlins DFVs are absolutely the best update to my car. If you want softer feel then just buy softer springs.
Thanks for your feedback, I've driven in Estonia (just over the water from you) but never in Finland so I'm not sure how the roads compare to the UK.
Does anyone know the supplied Ohlins spring rates and also the stock 2009 spring rates for comparison?
The B roads I'm talking about have lots of tarmac patches and potholes here and there. The surfaces are very uneven and my car still manages to keep the road contact. The Öhlins spring rates 100 N/mm (572 lbs/in.) front and 80 N/mm (458 lbs/in.) rear.
Old 06-03-2016, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by tron2k3
I'm running Ohlins used to run Meister Rs. The ride on bumpy roads is excellent it stays in contact with the road more of the time inspiring confidence, allowing you to carry more speed in corners and even the straights. Previously the car would skip over bumps in comparison on a mid setting but feel a bit wallowy when on the softer settings on the Meisters.

I would recommend getting them setup properly though by someone who knows what they are doing, so they can recommend a setup dependant on your requirements.

On track I found the stiffest setting to be too stiff even at Donington, I would get thrown offline down the back straight, I didn't even realise there was a bump there before.
Thanks for your feedback, sounds like your very happy with the Ohlins. My car was aligned previously by Wheels in motion in Chesham, however I'd like to also corner weight it when the suspension is fitted and I'm not sure if they have this facility. Out of interest I had it aligned twice since the first time I over did the caster at 6.5 degrees and it just made the steering feel rubbish in my opinion. The next day I went back any they set it to 5.5 degrees caster which improved the steering enormously.
Old 06-03-2016, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by Stevo071077
I've had PSS9s on my previous S, and have Ohlins R&T on my current S.

PSS9s are outstanding on track on the S, as are Ohlins.

I'd have to give the edge to Ohlins for the road, but I wouldn't say they're as comfortable as stock, though my car's ride height with the Ohlins is 25mm lower than stock (as it was with the PSS9's also).

To me the Ohlins feel like they can't be set as stiff as the PSS9's, though the Ohlins have a wider range of incremental settings than the PSS9s. The Ohlins are probably a safer bet because they feel like there's more control under compression which translates to better feedback on the limit - I have no way of validating this however and is just my experience and subject to a lot of variables/expectations/biases. You'll never get round the S's problem-child attitude to wide drift angles but with the Ohlins it's definitely a lot sweeter.

If shopping on price and the Ohlins are cheaper, then I'd go with them. If the PSS9s are cheaper and you're looking at a more track focussed car then you might consider going with them. The Ohlins seem to be a better overall product and would be better value at the same price.

If you're taking it seriously you'd want to change roll-centre adjusters etc. to get the best out of the car and this will cost more than the coilovers alone anyway. J's Racing if you want reliable suspension mods beyond the coilovers.
OK thanks, so the first person to say the Ohlins are not as comfortable as stock. My car is a 2009 so I think stiffer springs and ARBs than an 04-07 S I think? Not sure what year yours is? I'm not too bothered by track performance as I'll only do about 3 track days max. per year anyway.
Can you explain a bit more about the 'problem child' ? I think I read previously that under compression the rear toe increases causing instability - this was improved on the facelift subframe but still not eliminated.

Lastly, I don't particularly want to lower my car as I like the ground clearance. Do you know if you can set the Ohlins at the stock height?
Old 06-03-2016, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by K3Nguru
Originally Posted by rexer200' timestamp='1464941220' post='23983617
[quote name='K3Nguru' timestamp='1464935981' post='23983590']
I don't even remember what the stock suspension feels like but IMO, Öhlins R&Ts are very comfortable. The springs that are supplied with the dampers are a lot stiffer than OEM but the dampers are amazing. I'd say they are the only coilovers (in that price range) for your liking. I'm driving on Finnish B roads and Öhlins DFVs are absolutely the best update to my car. If you want softer feel then just buy softer springs.
Thanks for your feedback, I've driven in Estonia (just over the water from you) but never in Finland so I'm not sure how the roads compare to the UK.
Does anyone know the supplied Ohlins spring rates and also the stock 2009 spring rates for comparison?
The B roads I'm talking about have lots of tarmac patches and potholes here and there. The surfaces are very uneven and my car still manages to keep the road contact. The Öhlins spring rates 100 N/mm (572 lbs/in.) front and 80 N/mm (458 lbs/in.) rear.
[/quote]

Thanks. Does anyone know what the stock spring rates on a 2009 S2000 are?
Old 06-03-2016, 05:05 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Here you go: https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/818...nsion-springs/

280F 294R
Old 06-03-2016, 05:07 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You're welcome and learn to use search. For example, the spring rates can be found from here.
Old 06-03-2016, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by lovegroova
Originally Posted by rexer200' timestamp='1464958688' post='23983790
Here you go: https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/818...nsion-springs/

280F 294R
Wow super detailed... I always thought UK 2009 were the same as US CR so I stand corrected!
So the Ohlins spring rates are almost twice the stock UK rates!
Old 06-03-2016, 05:17 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Springs mostly prop the car up, its the dampers which handle the bumps. Difficult to compare a fixed rate damper to adjustable like the Ohlins.

Quick Reply: Ohlins Coilovers more comfortable than stock?