UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Oil leak...

Old 04-27-2011, 07:30 AM
UK Moderator

Received 305 Likes on 261 Posts

If you do decide to come along on the run, there will be a few people who know what they are doing that will be happy to have a look for you.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:33 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Northernsky
Hi Rich,
I live in London now but went back to my parents in Penzance for the Easter weekend. Being back in the country and enjoying the roads my driving was definitely more enthusiastic than usual, so it probably did burn more oil. The car does have 5w30 in it at the moment, I'll check the filter is on tightly but will change the oil this weekend for 10w40 and see if it leaks then.

Thanks for the idea lovegroova, I've not been using the AC though.

Nobody's suggesting that the engine has had it, do you think it'd be alright to take out on a run as long as I keep checking the oil? Are there any other checks I can do to see if it's a blown gasket or anything more sinister?
Nobody's suggesting that the engine has had it - because it's a Honda, later engines had problems but looked after older ones usualy are well behaved. I'm sure you've seen posts about older engines using more oil, it's dependant on what oil is in the car and driving style.

Keep a CLOSE eye on the oil if it gets off the stick or the engine will be fecked, keep it up to the top "X", Go for somthing like Castrol magnatek 10w/40 for now, till you know whats going on.
The spec for tightening the filter is contact then 7/8 of a turn and that is tight and takes some effort. Going into VTEC will drink more oil so avoid it on your run.
Shame you are back up country, I was going to say bring it over for a look.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone, seriously. I know I'm being panicky and stupid about this but the car's new to me and I appreciate the reassurance!
When I get home from work tonight I'll check the oil level again, check the filter, see if any more has dropped onto the road, and put some cardboard down. If it looks like it's leaked any more I'll leave it but if not I'll top it up, come out on the run on Friday morning and change to 10w40 over the weekend. I haven't seen any clouds of smoke from the exhaust, and haven't seen either the oil pressure light or the CEL light, so I'm sure it'll be fine to drive on.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:49 AM

From what I've read when the oil pressure light does come on you have about 3 seconds to turn the engine off before you toast it - doesn't give you much/any warning at all! but yes always a good sign that its not lit up like a christmas tree!

Good luck - I have a feeling its probably fine. Even previous oil spills on the block the stains can stay and look moist for a long time (I had the same panic with mine when I first had it on a ramp and saw the stains from my first topup spilt all down the block lol) so take it one step at a time, keep an eye on the level and confirm it is actualy leaking before you panic too much!
Old 04-27-2011, 08:20 AM
UK Moderator

I'm sure it's fine. My experience is that the car uses more oil in stop-start low speed stuff than it does vteccing around, so do join us on Friday.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:40 AM

Well,the oil level hasn't gone down noticeably, still in the middle of the X's, but some has definitely dropped onto the road, the back of the rocker cover is wet, as is the back of the block (see pics). Maybe just spillage but I really don't think I could have spilled that much. I've cardboard underneath so will check in the morning. I'm pretty sure the neighbours think I'm crazy. Maybe I am

If it's just spillage or just the rocker cover gasket that's gone I'll be relieved, they're only about £30 from Honda. Thanks again for everyones advice, still hope to be there on Friday.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:06 AM

Where its collected at the bottom of the gearbox is exactly where mine ran too when I spilt some on the block. But if its dripping then does sound like a small leak
Old 04-28-2011, 12:07 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Northernsky
Well,the oil level hasn't gone down noticeably, still in the middle of the X's, but some has definitely dropped onto the road, the back of the rocker cover is wet, as is the back of the block (see pics). Maybe just spillage but I really don't think I could have spilled that much. I've cardboard underneath so will check in the morning. I'm pretty sure the neighbours think I'm crazy. Maybe I am

If it's just spillage or just the rocker cover gasket that's gone I'll be relieved, they're only about £30 from Honda. Thanks again for everyones advice, still hope to be there on Friday.

Give the rocker cover area a good clean with isopropyl alcohol to get rid of any traces of oil, you'll see if it comes back. And top it up to the top X, it will make a difference in making the engine quieter and obviously if it's dropping longer time till problems happen.
BTW approx 100ml per X
Old 04-28-2011, 01:49 AM

There are loads of references to 10w-40 oils running around on this thread. What oils are being suggested here, as I can't ever find any 10w-40 that's fully synthetic.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:16 AM
UK Moderator

My car ran perfectly well on Castol Magnatec Semi-synth for many years. I'm thinking of switching back to it from the Edge 5w40 stuff.

Quick Reply: Oil leak...